IC: Dichotomy's Age of Worms Redux, Part I

Dichotomy

Explorer
OOC Thread

As the sun's first light reaches out to touch the world, for some reason you all wake up with a sense of expectation...

But alas, as you go about your morning routines you find that Diamand Lake is still the cesspool that it was yestereve. No miraculous change has altered it during the night. But just maybe today will have the potential of freeing you from Diamond Lake, if the gods deem not to cleanse it. But you dare not hold onto such a hope too tightly, for you may choke it. You dare not speak such hope aloud, for the wind might wisp it away. But hope you must, for it is all that one can have in Diamond Lake, as even the newcomers know.

But even as morning turns to afternoon, that sense of expectation remains. Indeed it seems to grow. But no one else seems to sense it. Perhaps it is simply your mind playing a trick, as it tries vainly to make some sense of the meaninglessness of this place.

Or perhaps this is a day in which destiny shall begin...

Last edited:

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=MNW]Boldak has caught word of the adventuring trio that recently came to town. The leader of the group is Auric and was apparently a champion at the area in the Free City. With him is Tirra (an attractive female elf whom you've seen best every challenger in the dagger tossing contest at the Feral Dog) and Khellek (an older human that frankly looks like a mage and has been seen spending time in Lazere's House).

Townsfolk have been speculating on why they are here. They've been asking questions about the Stirgenest Cairn, one of the many ancient burial sites that are scattered about the Cairn Hills where Diamond Lake is located. Everyone in town, though, knows that there is nothing there of interest. The town’s youth constantly explore the ancient site, and have always found it completely empty of marvel and harmless to say the least.

But that isn’t the only site at which the youth of the town have played. It wasn’t common knowledge, but those children who had recently grown up in Diamond Lake knew of another cairn outside of the town. The cairn is near an old iron mine that went dry about fifty years ago, and was abandoned a few years later when the manager mysteriously died. About a decade ago, several children found the nearby cairn while camping out by the mine. Since then, the town’s youth have dared each other to venture into the cyclopean entrance to prove their bravery. Most found the place too scary, for when the wind was just right, haunting and almost magical tones would emanate from the depths of the forgotten tomb. Those who have been to the tomb have called it the Whispering Cairn.

Visits to the Whispering Cairn became less frequent about six years ago when a girl mysteriously vanished while sleeping in the cairn. Now children still dare to go to the entrance of the tomb, but none enter. The secrets of the cairn have since remained undiscovered.

It stands to reason that if famed adventurers from the Free City have bothered to come to the inconsequential town of Diamond Lake, they must be in search of some hidden treasure. Right now they’re asking about the wrong place, but it would only be a matter of time before they learn of the Whispering Cairn.[/sblock]

michael_noah

First Post
[sblock=dichotomy]After witnessing the newcomer win yet another throwing contest, Boldak finished his ale with thoughts about possible adventure. Whatever happened to that girl that disappeared in the Whispering Cairn anyway. All the other children seem to believe there's something extravagant down there, but it seems just as likely that she fell and broke her neck.

On the other hand, adventurers might find more than what years of exploring could. My own stay in the mine didn't include any experience more than 20 feet inside the entrance, though I'd never admit that to the boys too afraid to enter themselves...

In any case, I'd wager that they have more exciting news than the regular crowd here.

Boldak waited for the congratulations to fade, and for the young elf to return to her table before approaching the new dagger throwing champion.

Puffing himself up, he gruffly started, "Hello there. That's a fine wrist you have. I wondered if you might be interested in some information about the cairns about town. All I'd ask in return is some news from somewhere apart from this hellhole."[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=Wes]After spending some time at The Captain's Blade, you've learned a couple of things about Tyrol Ebberly. First, he is an absolute fanatic about weapons, and he always enthusiatically shows you his masterwork weapons. Second, the man is an inveterate gossip. He seems to always know something.

"You know," he says in passing during the middle of a conversation with you, "there's an adventuring trio that recently came to town. The leader of the group is Auric and was apparently a champion at the area in the Free City. With him is an elf-maid named Tirra and an older man named Khellek.

"They've been asking questions about the Stirgenest Cairn, one of the many ancient burial sites that are scattered about the Cairn Hills where Diamond Lake is located. But most peple in town say that there is nothing there of interest.

"I know you've not had work. But I know you've got that armor and some weapons. Maybe they could use your help. Or, at least, you could talk to them and see if you can get any details on why they are here,"
he says with a wink.

"I know you can find the elf, Tirra, at the Feral Dog. She's been beating any challenger at the dagger tossing contest. A dashing lad like yourself could probably interest her, don't you think?" He offers you another wink.[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=MNW]The elf stares at you for a moment. "Boy, if that is your way of flattering a girl, I think you need some work." Despite her words, though, she has a sly smile on her face. "Tell you what. How 'bouts you give a shot against me in the game," she says pointing at the target for the dagger throwing contest. "Small wager, say, three silver. Or don't you have..." she pauses dramatically and raises an eyebrow, "what it takes?"
[sblock=OOC]You know that the game is played in three rounds. The house provides a dagger and you throw at a target about 25' away. Like a typical target, it has a center circle and 2 outer rings. Round one is just hitting the target. If you miss, you are eliminated. Round two is the smaller ring. Round three is the center. Once you get to the center, if more than one person remains, you keep aiming for the enter until someone misses.[/sblock][/sblock]

michael_noah

First Post
[sblock=dichotomy]Three silver is hardly a fortune to pay for an opportunity like this. Besides, does this girl really think she can beat me?

Eager to try his skill at a game he hasn't played in some time, Boldak jumped at the opportunity to not only learn something about the outside world, but the chance to make enough to pay for a few more days away from the mine. Laughing abruptly, he answered, "Well, my lady, I wouldn't be so rude as to turn you down. Please show me how it's done." He concluded with a mock flourish of his well worn cape.
[/sblock]

worthley

First Post
Dichotomy[sblock]"Thanks for all your help. Looks like I have a game of daggers to play"
I then leave and head to the Feral Dog. When I enter I look for an elf matching the description of Tirra and ask:
"What's the going wager on a game of daggers here?"
If the game is 1 gold or less to play, I play and bring up conversation about Stirgenest Cairn.
"Heard you are searching for Stirgenest Cairn. What are you looking for there? There isn't much left in the area here that the miner's haven't already claimed.
Do you have any room for a 'retired farmhand' to accompany your group? I am looking for a means of living, and I'm not too fond of the mineing operations here."
[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=Shea & Roach]As Nav stares out at the mire of filth that serves as the square in Diamond Lake, he sees someone that clearly doesn’t fit in.

Her face is tanned from travel, and her hair has faded to a strangely iridescent red. Both contrast sharply with her watery blue eyes. Hair is mid-shoulder length, but almost always worn in a bun. She appears travelworn, but not grungily so. She wears scalemail, a steel gray cloak. A Morningstar slung across her back, a 'quiver' of javelins crosses it in the other direction. A loadedbackpack sits in the middle. A sickle hangs on her right hip, and a small pouch on her left. She stands a full 5'4" and a slim 115 lbs.

She certainly seems much more likely to have coin than the average citizen of this cesspool.

Nav notices the traveller and stands to approach her.

You see before you a young man a couple inches shorter than 6 feet. He's dressed in neat enough clothes, but they have obviously been patched and mended more than a few times. They hang off of his frame slightly, which would be hard not to do since he is thin to just before the point of skeletal. The first actual feature you notice is that his hair is pure white, and his skin is rather pale even though he also looks weather worn. He walks with an assured air that suits him well, and as he approaches he makes eye contact where you notice that his eyes are the silver of a finely wrought chain. He has a javelin loosely strapped to his back and a small belt pouch that appears to be empty.

"Do ya have a coin to spare m'lady, the sun is full and my belly has been empty for over a day."

"Coin is rarely spare in this world friend, but i will very happily fill your stomach in trade for a bit of conversation. I know of a good place here." Alexis leads Nav to The Spinning Giant.

As the pair walks, Nav continues the conversation. "Conversation I can do m'lady, but it might want for the hurry in which I'll likely eat."

"No concern. Time enough to eat and talk, follow me." After a brief pause, Alexis continues, "You don't appear to be from this place. Or have i misjudged?"

"Born and raised m'lady, although I hope to remedy that as soon as I can," Nav replies. "That's the one common trait in this town, everyone wants out."

"it certainly appears that way." But rather than dwell on the subject of flight from Diamond Lake, Alexis changes to something hopefully less depressing. "What trade do you practice? You certainly don't have the look of a miner.

"Whichever pays, although I've never been much for work in the mines. I tend to find a coin wheree'er I can either through song or parlor trick. It's enough to help me scrape by most seasons." Nav turns the question back to Alexis. "And you m'lady? What brings you to this hole at the end of the line?"

"Hmm... Parlor tricks tend to be a bit shady.... Not in line with my preferences," she replies. "I tend toward the more martial types of service."

"Not my preference either, but I do what I must to get by, and squirrel away a coin when I can."

"I've actually come looking for work..... of that same martial variety, though it seems to be lacking."

"The mines always seem to need guards," Nav offers helpfully, "but you'd be fighting off the miners more'n any enemies I'd think."

"True.... and it may come to that, but for the time being i'll hold out for a slightly," Alexis pauses for emphasis, "cleaner job."

As the pair enters the Spinning Giant between the legs of the depiction of Flailing Felanore, you find the tavern only partially full. There are a couple of tables of garrison crowd, and no other patrons at this hour. Several of the men raise their eyes at the sight of your entering. It seems that more than one man's gaze lingers a bit on the sight of Alexis.

Alexis continues, "You said your leaving, or wish to leave. Do you have a destination?"

"As most people in town, my dreams usually settle on the free city m'lady, but anywhere must be better than here." Nav pitches his voice lower. "You might be fighting a few off'n here as well it seems."

"Those fights are not much trouble," Alexis laughs shortly and moves to a table. "And though this is not much of a place to look at, it's certainly better than some. But i've only just arrived..."

"And you mean to stay for a time?"

"Well until i realize there's no good work to be had."

"HA!" Nav retorts. "Then this is merely a resting place until Able can carry you on!"

"Able?" Alexis asks.

"There is little good about this town m'lady. Did you arrive on foot?"

"On borrowed horse, but i'll leave on foot unless my fortune changes," she replies.

"Ah. Able is the company that runs the coaches in and out of town. I had assumed that such a capable lady as yourself had utilized them to reach town."

"Your flattery is lost friend,"Alexis responds. "Now where the hell is our waitress? Perhaps this Able is in search of coach guards," she muses.

"Flattery is never lost m'lady, merely an investment into good company." In response to Alexis' musing, Nav replies, "For the rates they charge, they must need a good strong arm to protect most of their customers. Although just as many come in on a free one way ticket."

"Yes i had heard so many of the residents are," she pauses a moment, "transplants."

"Which only drives the ever present desire to leave."

Only slightly later than expected, a somewhat weary looking waitress stops by to take your order. "Sorry, I have to make sure the 'boys' get what they need. I'm sure you understand."

"You must keep them happy," Nav replies. "They keep most of us from getting into too much trouble."

"No, but you're here now," Alexis replies as well.

The pair continues talking after they've placed their order.

"You certainly seem anxious to leave," Alexis notes. "But your lack of coin, if that's the truth, would likely prohibit any means save your own feet. So the question is, why are you still here?"

"You're new to town so you don't understand the condition of this place. I make moderate sums from time to time, but it never seems to stay in my pockets for long."

"Perhaps that has more to do with your appetites?" Alexis offers.

"Where else would I go without more than two coins?" Nav retorts.

"I've left a town's safety without a copper to my name."

"Since the Red Death took me Day, I've wanted to go somewhere else, but fortune doesn't shine on everyone all the time, and I have enough friends left here to see I don't end in a gutter. It shines on me often enough though, I'm still around ain't I?"

"A good friend is not lost in this world.... wait, your Day?"

"Me mum."

"She was your... oh. Well i'm truly sorry."

"It was long enough ago that it's but a memory."

"Death, though imminent is rarely welcomed."

"The Red sort was never welcomed at all."

"I don't imagine, no."

"So where'd you say you were from again?" Nav abruptly switches the conversation.

"Me?" Alexis asks. "I'm from around. i've been traveling for so long it doesn't seem i'm from anywhere."

"It must get easier with practice then."

Alexis shifts the conversation again. "Well you seem honest enough. Should i leave, and should you need a friend to travel with, you can surely travel with me."

"Much obliged m'lady, I am handy enough with this spear," he pats the javelin's hilt "and have more'n a couple tricks up my sleeve," Nav states with a wink.

"Tricks... We all have our tricks," Alexis says winking back. She returns to the previous line of conversation. "The hardest part about traveling has been stopping... For me at least."

"Well if you're lucky you won't be stopped here for long. If you're not...well you will be I'm sure," Nav says while peering around the room to see who is near them for any reason.

"I'm not worried, there's always work somewhere."

"That there is, especially if you have a strong arm or stout back."

"Among other," she pauses a moment, "talents, yes. There is always someone looking for help."

Nav grins. "There are often those around to lend a hand as well. So, ever think of joining the city guard? They seem to leave as soon as they can like the rest of us, so there must be openings from time to time."

"Actually, that's what originally lead me here."

"The guard? But they weren't hiring after all or are you too recently in town?"

"Yes. A friend had suggested, given the common 'tourists' of the town, that the city guard would likely be seeking help. But it seems they aren't in need, or at least not of me."

"Sad news indeed. If'n I hear of any work, I'll be sure to find you first," Nav replies.

"Well i thank you again. Where do you stay? Did your mum, Day, leave you a home?"

"She never had one to leave. I grew up with squatters mostly, although many of them have since found work and places to stay. I stay out at night when I'm able, with friends when I can, and at the flop house when I must."

"Where are you staying,"
he asks.

"Where ever there's a cheap warm bed. For the past few nights i've called the flophouse home. Nothing honorable, but better than the wet ground."

"Well if we're both around come winter, I'll likely be there too."

"I'd suggest it. Sad as it is, winters in the wild are not friendly, not in the least. Though their cliental is not the most," Alexis pauses, "trustworthy."

"No I've spent more'n my share out in them in town here, but rarely do I stray out of late."

"How is your food?"

"Eh, good enough, but nothing on the company," Alexis smiles, if somewhat complacently. "The wine is better elsewhere though. Perhaps tonight is a good night for a rousing. Do you have other things to attend to this evening?"

"Most nights are, though I tend to avoid it when I can." Nav grins. "Tonight just happens to be open though."

"Good, let us drink away our troubles tonight, on me and the gods. And if we play correctly, we may earn a few free drink ourselves."

"I often play correctly, in fact today treated me well, so your first drink is on me."

"Hmm... very well. Let us start low, and work our way up. to the Feral Dog," Alexis resolves.

"A fine place to spend a coin," Nav agrees.

After Alexis leaves coin for the bill and a generous tip, the pair again passes between the legs of Flailing Felanore.

Outside, Alexis turns to Nav. "You are a find friend, I must say, it is good to know you."

"And you 'm'lady' are the best mark I found all day."

"'Mark' am I? We shall see..."

"I don't believe I've caught your name quite yet though..." Nav sticks out his hand, "They call me Nav, Nav Baxtalo."

"Ah, yes, silly me... My name is Alexis."[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
Unlike fancier places like Lazare's and the Emporium, the Feral Dog charges no cover to get in. Unlike the Spinning Giant, it isn't teaming with Garrison men. Naturally, it means the Feral Dog is the place of choice for the common laborers, which, in Diamond Lake, means the lowest of the low. While the place is filthy, it still serves ale decent enough for the common man. And if you are into betting on dogs in a pit fight, or getting into a brawl of your own, there's likely no better place to be. While there is a fair share of hoodlums in the place, it is also the hangout of choice for honest folk that enjoy thrill and excitement.

One could easily say that it is a great place for things to happen...

[sblock=MNW]With a grin, Tirra hands 3 silver to one of the staff designated to hold the bets. After you hand him yours, the elf-maid confidently steps up to the line and grabs the house-provided dagger.

"As you wish," she says jauntily. She tosses the dagger at the target, somewhat whimsically, and strikes it with relative ease. The elf whistles as she walks up, grabs the dagger, and passes it to you with a smirk.

Boldak takes place at the line, and feeling completely in "the zone" lets the dagger fly. With a satisfying thud, it sticks in the center of the target. Too bad Boldak knows that even getting the center on the first try won't save him from elimination if he misses it when it counts. All the same, Boldak knows that he has the attention of most of the bar now.

[sblock=OOC][size=-2]Tirra: I'm certainly not telling you her mod or what she rolled.
Boldak: 20! + 3 - 4 (range) = irrelevant b/c you rolled a 20[/size][/sblock][/sblock]
[sblock=Wes]Tyrol bids you well as you leave. Unfortunately, when you arrive at the Feral Dog, you see an elf that simply must be this Tirra already engaged in the contest. You see her off-handedly fling a dagger at the target and score a hit. After her, a relatively young dwarf steps up to the line. He flings the dagger, and it sinks right in the center of the target. You instantly feel all the eyes in the place snap toward the game.[/sblock]
[sblock=Shea & Roach]As you enter the Feral Dog, you see an Elven woman playing in the dagger tossing contest. She flings the dagger and strikes the target. After her, a relatively young looking dwarf steps up to the line. He flings the dagger, and it sinks right in the very center of the target. You instantly feel all the eyes in the place snap toward the game, and a sudden hush comes over the place.[/sblock]

"Well," the elven woman says as the dwarf hands her back the dagger. If she intended to say more, the words were lost. Instead she moves to the line and stares focused at the target. Clearly the dwarf's bullseye got her goat.

The elven-maid throws the dagger, and she barely gets it inside the center ring. "Good enough for round two," someone in the watching crowd mutters.

The dwarf returns to the line. Perhaps he was overconfident due to the previous throw. But regardless of the reason, this time his throw is off. In fact, not only does he not hit the inner ring, he even misses the target completely.

The crowd bursts into noise. Some people laugh, some boo, some let out disappointed moans.

[sblock=OOC (for all)]We are all here now. No need for spoiler blocks except if you want only certain folk to see it and for OOC stuff.

[size=-2]Tirra: still not telling you what she rolled or her mod
Boldak: 8 + 3 - 4 (range) = 7; not good enough to hit the target[/size][/sblock]

michael_noah

First Post
Trying his best to seem nonplussed, Boldak joined in the crowd's laughter. "Well, miss, you're consistent to say the least. You wouldn't want to offer me an ale with my money, would you?"

While awaiting her response, the scruffy looking young dwarf retrieved the dagger and handed it hilt first to the employee paying Tirra. He almost immediately struck up a conversation with the elf, speaking gruffly, but with what one could almost call a human accent gained from his years in Diamond Lake. The years showed as well in his appearance: the dark of the mines had left him fair skinned though scarred in places, and his dwarven youth was clearly apparent in his short beard and slight features.

Adjusting his various equipment, he joined his recent conqueror in conversation, ”I hope my lack of throwing skill hasn’t convinced you that I’m totally useless. Are you yet interested in some information about the cairns?”

[sblock=dichotomy]Even if she does not want to buy him an ale, Boldak returns to his previous attempt at conversation.
Diplomacy: -2[/sblock]

Remove ads