List of Names for NPCs

JoeyD473

Adventurer
In either the next session (Saturday night) or the one after that (2 weeks after the next session) my party will reaching Metropolis full of other adventurers of every race and class (including prestiage Classes) ISo I need to create a list of names so I can give name son the fly if (really when) needed. Any assistance in creating this list would be greatly appreciated

IcyCool

First Post
Crothian said:
I invested in some book of names for this very reason

I didn't even have to invest in a book. Some kooky "phone" people gave me a book of names for free! Not sure what those numbers mean, but the names are great. It's even got a free list of Inn names in the back (printed on yellow pages so you can jump right to it), how cool is that!

Thurbane

First Post
I use the old 2E "Players Survival Kit" for Mystara, has a good list of names broken down by race and region.

Just Google "random name generator" - you'll be surprised how many utilities there are out there.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Go to the EN World mainpage.
Under the Main Menu box on the left, go to Features. Click on 'Toolbox'.
Click on 'Generate Name'.

EN World's more useful than you think! :)

In addition to collecting names in lists from a variety of sources including just sitting down and making them up, I have a list of some 3500+ names that I kept from a name generator I ran across a good 15 years ago or more. I CURSE myself for not having acquired that program no matter the cost because I've used that list for character names ever since and want MORE. It produced several hundred names in groups that kept close to a certain "flavor", so it has a bunch of Slavic-ish names, Italian-ish, etc. As best I recall it got its results by breaking up names into phonic pieces, keeping "rules" regarding where those pieces were taken from (first, middle, ending) and then randomly putting pieces back together.

I have hoarded this list jealously and have yet to share it with anyone. I'm starting to think I'm being unreasonably possessive as I watch heartfelt pleas for good character names repeatedly get posted. Aw, what the heck. It's not as if I'm in any real danger of, say, writing a book using these names, or publishing a ground-breaking campaign setting with NPC's more famous/infamous than Bigby, Drizzt, or Regdar.

http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/names.doc

Just remember where you found it. :)

Aurora

First Post
IcyCool said:
I didn't even have to invest in a book. Some kooky "phone" people gave me a book of names for free! Not sure what those numbers mean, but the names are great. It's even got a free list of Inn names in the back (printed on yellow pages so you can jump right to it), how cool is that!

:lol:

Remove ads