Mob United Media Launches OSRIC Support with First Edition Feats!

eyebeams

Explorer
Hi folks:

I think OSRIC™ is cool. I remember and enjoy 1E fantasy games and believe that OSRIC -- an open source iteration of "old school rules" is a wonderful way to bring us back to the cool and chaotic innovation of past design.

But I'm not a hater of the new or the old school -- I like them both. What I'd like to see are products that go back to the 1E style but add recent innovations, even if those innovations get so influenced by their predecessor they end up being something else entirely. What would you get then?

Well, I had to find out. That's why Mob United Media's just launched the Olde School Arcana line. Olde School Arcana takes us back to the classic fantasy of 1E and OSRIC™, but not to the places we were before! We'll also look at modern fantasy gaming mainstays and see how they'd change if we turned them into "classic" mechanics.

That brings us to First Edition Feats!

[imagel]http://edge.rpgnow.com/products/product_7800.jpg[/imagel]

First Edition Feats is a rules expansion for OSRIC™and other 1E fantasy games. This product moves beyond raw nostalgia and incorporates recent fantasy gaming designs into the solid, reliable and fun 1E engine. This supplement introduces 21 Combat Proficiencies: alternate uses for 1E weapon proficiency slots.

Let’s make one thing clear, though: The Combat Proficiencies in this supplement aren’t just retreads of OGL feats! Instead, they’ve been designed to work according to the design logic of 1E games. This means more modest bonus, interesting special cases and rules that consider the abstract, lengthened nature of a 1E combat round. Combat Proficiencies are designed to feel like 1e rules. They benefit from the creative surge that the OGL has given the hobby but they don’t conform to the strictly systematized nature of recent rules.

This 11-page supplement takes an OGL concept (feats) and redesigns it for 1E Fantasy games. In some ways you might want to think about it as coming from an “alternate universe” where older rules first introduced a feat-like concept. This is not far from the truth, as various editions of the world’s most popular fantasy game developed the “feat” concept over time. These rules take the latest iteration of this idea and give it the feel of the original rules.

MUM24100
$2.50

Note: This product uses the OSRIC™ System (Oldschool System Reference and Index Compilation™). The OSRIC™ system text may be found at http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric. The OSRIC™ text is copyright of Stuart Marshall. "OSRIC™" and "Oldschool System Reference and Index Compilation™" are trademarks of Stuart Marshall and Matthew Finch and may be used only in accordance with the OSRIC™ license.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases