Red Hand of Doom

DerHauptman

First Post
This is a general 1st call to see if there would be any interest in playing this large adventure out on PbP.

It will be a serious undertaking and I would ask that once some resolution is achieved on how we want to do it, those who are willing to commit, do so for the long haul (with the understanding that life happens).

I bought the Adventure with the thought I'd likely never run it - rather I just wanted to see an example of a "War" done by WOTC.

Some preliminary information:

I think I can run up to 7-8 players on line since its all in print it's really hard to miss details. I also think that the module begs for a large party after all it is a mass combat type thing.

Starting level will be 5th (due to party size)

LA races up to +3 on case by case basis

Starting wealth as per DMG (most expensive item not more than 50% of that)

I welcome players of all ages but understand within the limitations of LEW I do Evil-Evil not PG13 evil so it is likely bad things will be RP out that deal with adult topics (death, dismemberment and the horrors of war...)

Character generation: 1) One can roll on IC given you tell me the name of the character first then roll for the stats. 2) Just make up your stats - be reasonable and I'm fine with it.

I have too many resources to list and am cool with player choice, I believe that a player who is allowed to play a concept or class they want will likely remain focused and interested longer.

So....on a case by case bases I'd allow almost anything. (Non-WOTC d20 is fine...I like Green Ronin's stuff, AEG is balanced usually, the Mercenary book has some good classes for a military campaign.)

However, if I don't own the resource please send me (scanned photocopies are fine if it does not offend your sense of copyright violations, of so then set to typeing....Mr. (or Mrs.) the information so I can adjudicate the stuff fairly.

I will cover any house rules after I see if anyone is genuinely interested in this huge undertaking. (I say it may take a year or more to finish on pbp)

NOTE: I am not one to say, impress me with your concept and you can play, so I will take the 1st 8 players to make a complete character, that I find reasonable. The party need not be falsely balanced so no one has to play something they don't want to fill all the roles. If you all want to play fighters, thats fine wizards the same, whatever. I as DM will modify the encounters to make them balanced for the group.

Last edited:

Voidrazor

First Post
I'm interested. I might change my mind after perusing some non-WotC splatbooks, but right now I'm leaning towards an Elan Psion or Ardent.

Dragoon

First Post
I would be interested as well. I'm leaning towards a Knight from PHB II if that would be okay. Probably a human or a dwarf.

What world are you going to set this?

KikuNoMaru

First Post
I am also interested. I was looking at a fighter/marshal with some feats from all over (PHB II, Sandstorm, Stormwreck), but I'm open to any role since all the classes called so far are martial oriented. I have the Mercenaries (AEG?) book lying around somewhere, and I think I remember a class in there that I wanted to try out. Alternately, I'm looking at a Warforged Nomad (AEG Mercenaries). Would you accept flaws or traits from UA?

Last edited:

ByteRynn

First Post
I am certainly interested. I am looking at a cleric or druid of some description...or maybe some other divine caster.

I too am interested in what world you are setting this.

My preferences, if they matter, are Eberron or the Forgotten Realms, though I enjoy a well-written home-brew too. I know very little about Greyhawk.

Last edited:

DerHauptman

First Post
I'm interested. I might change my mind after perusing some non-WotC splatbooks, but right now I'm leaning towards an Elan Psion or Ardent.
Yesterday 01:57 AM

Would love to have you play, however, I own no psionic books, nor have I ever allowed psionics in my games. Honestly there is nothing wrong with them as a concept, its just laziness on my part - not wanting to learn a whole other set of rules and adjudicating them always seemed daunting for me. I just made a conscious decision to cut that option out.

I am interested. I have a few question. Would you allow a Warblade from Tome of Battle?

I do not have ToB but it is on my list of things to buy, therefore dunno what a Warblade is. If you want to scan, retype or send me the complete information on the class I will surely consider it.

I would be interested as well. I'm leaning towards a Knight from PHB II if that would be okay. Probably a human or a dwarf.

What world are you going to set this?

Got the PBB II like it Knights are good.

Not sure what the default setting for this adventure is - perhaps Greyhawk. Honestly, though we won't be going outside the Elsir Vale which is the valley the adventure takes place in so its not going to matter all that much. If you have something from another setting that you are interested in including I think that we can come-up with some plausible reason for it being there. i.e. I am no Eberon fan but if you are and want to play a warforged (cringe) in FR or Greyhawk I think it plausible that rather than be some huge race of robotic (albeit sentient) being manufactured for a grand war, there could be a few made by a wizard somewhere for his use that achieved the same level of abilities.

I am scanning the maps and will post them ASAP for you all to include in your backgrounds.

I am also interested. I was looking at a fighter/marshal with some feats from all over (PHB II, Sandstorm, Stormwreck), but I'm open to any role since all the classes called so far are martial oriented. I have the Mercenaries (AEG?) book lying around somewhere, and I think I remember a class in there that I wanted to try out. Alternately, I'm looking at a Warforged Nomad (AEG Mercenaries). Would you accept flaws or traits from UA?
Yesterday 02:30 PM

Sounds fine to me, I don't have the miniature handbook so will need the marshal write up.

I am certainly interested. I am looking at a cleric or druid of some description...or maybe some other divine caster.

I too am interested in what world you are setting this.

My preferences, if they matter, are Eberron or the Forgotten Realms, though I enjoy a well-written home-brew too. I know very little about Greyhawk.

Sounds good. Originally, it was my intent to run this as a one shot where the setting didn't really matter all that much using he default gawds and such in the PHB. I think I said it above, if you want to use a specific concept from a particular setting we can make it plausible - its easy enough to add a new god to a one shot. I don't need a detailed cosmology since we are not plane hopping. However, now that I think about it I guess you all need to be from someplace so FR cities or locations will be fine.

Interest expressed. Would you be willing to accept a character using a class from Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved?

I am very open (unless it requires me to use a new set of information totally - like psionics, as I mentioned before. If its a class I can just drop in and use with the base rules without too much modification I think it'll be ok. Again, case by case basis. Please send me the information so I will be able to make an informed decision.

Sounds interesting. I'm thinking of a barbarian/rogue. A fast mover/good team-player type.

Lot - you win the simplistic lottery man, barbarian rogue it is! (or whatever you decide)

BASICS -

If you owe me some class information send it to me via-email:

PROMETHEUSBOUND (at) COMCAST (DOT) NET

LETS GET STARTED:

Character Stats:
Whatever fits your concept (within reason) I have always let my players just pick their stats and its been very successful for me. I have mature players - I assume you are the same. This lets people play what they want. Usually my players choose a weakness if they have a lot of higher stats to balance it out. This will enable you to play some of the classes that require two good scores - unlike normal point buy.

Character Class level:
We are starting at level 5. You may play an LA race up to +3 (on a case by case basis), however, I will need the data if I don't have it. Also, if you want to know the EXP (for using it for item creation) its 1/2 way between 5th and 6th, that way you can make some stuff without suffering too much.

Equipment: (PHB, KALAMARK PHB, MERCENARYS (AEG), ARMS AND EQUIPMENT GUIDE, DMG I&II, etc all have acceptable mundane equipment lists that are ok for you to use. Also, if there is something in a DRAGON magazine I probably have that too.)

You will all have a mount suitable for your race with saddle and equipment for free. Likewise, you can have (up to what you can carry of course) in mundane items as you wish for free as well.

As for magic items, I will accept what is core and in WOTC books (may ask for the stats if I don't have the book) without question. Items from other D20 books will likely be ok, just ask first.

Starting wealth is as per DMG for 5th level (most expensive item 50% of that)

Background - I will post some more information on what needs to be in the character backgrounds. I like to reward good backgrounds with extra skills and feats based on the story so the more specific you are about your past the more likely you are to get free stuff.

NOTE: The party will already know each other and have worked with each other before.
Also, I allow the use of hirelings in the game for hauling equipment, (serving a knight) or just general camp security stuff. I firmly believe a group of experienced adventurers would bring support staff for their comfort.

Also, the group tactics rules in DMG II will be available for you to use so feel free to talk to one another about that here as well.

This should get us started and allow me some time to make a comprehensive document for your use - I will likely add things not take stuff away.

If you want to use something just put it down and I will most likely allow it.

Attached is the character sheet format.

Starting a Thread in RG Don't put the character there until approved.

Attachments

• Doom Char Sheet.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 102

Chalk me up as interested. I think I'd like to try playing a ninja, but I don't like the flavor text for them so I put together this backstory, tell me if it's too comedic to fit this game:

Velka:
Velka's history is always going to be entertwined with the dragon that raised him, the legendary Athaaz, known throughout the world as the stupidest dragon who ever lived. Velka was stolen by Athaaz while in a yellow basket, which Athaaz thought was made of gold. A few hours later the hungry baby kicked the lid off the basket.
Athaaz was so pleased. Proof that Athaaz was so Virile, and his seed so Potent, that he didn't even need a female Dragon to produce eggs. And Athaaz hatchling! So mighty it already knew how to cast permanent polymorph spells on itself while still in the egg!
So Athaaz tried to raise Velka and train him to be a good dragon, which didn't work particularly well, especially since Athaaz forgot who Velka was frequently. Inside Athaaz' lair (A pit around two feet deep and fifty feet wide) Velka developed supernatural survival and stealth skills to survive Athaaz' frequent battles with his own tail, and learned a great deal about dealing with locks (Because Athaaz frequently stole chests and couldn't get them open) and traps (Athaaz was planning to be ready for his tail the next time it showed up). Eventually (inevitably) Athaaz got himself killed in an epic battle (His tail apparently got several good hits in, and Athaaz was caught in his own fireball counterstrike) and Velka inherited Athaaz' treasure. This turned out to be mostly iron cauldrons because Athaaz had the crazy notion that iron cauldrons become more valuable when chopped up for scrap metal. Velka was left with a handful of treasure, no connections, and no useful life skills except hiding and disabling the traps. There's pretty much only one profession you can take with those skills. . .

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases