Gothic 1 and 2: Anyone Play them?

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
With Gothic 3 coming out soon here in the U.S. I was wondering if I should give 1 and 2 a shot first. Anyone play these games and what was your experience like? I've heard that 1 and 2's interface was clunky and other controls were not very user friendly. is this true?

Graf

Explorer
Since there were a lot of raves about the Gothic storyline (under appreciated, hidden gem, etc etc). I picked up 2 a while back.

Yeah, the controls were aggrivating enough that it wasn't fun to play, and I stopped after a while.

Personally, unless you're swimming in free time and have played the currently availible awesome games (Oblivion comes to mind) as well as the classics (PS: torment) you probably shouldn't bother.

Thanee

First Post
Havn't played them, but they rank pretty high in readers charts in the computer magazines around here (still). So they can't be all bad.

I'm curious what will be said about Gothic III's release state concerning bugs... the last version that was tested was pretty bad on that behalf (and according to the tests, the older Gothics also were really bug-infested before the first couple patches, but afterwards they must have been pretty good (at least)).

I would probably skip Gothic I, get Gothic II, which should be available cheap (it is here), get the patches, unless they distribute patched-to-current versions, not sure about that, and just give it a try.

Bye
Thanee

LiKral

First Post
I played Gothic 2 for a bit, but I just couldn't get on with it. It was exceptionally pretty for it's time but the design was awkward and uninspired.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
There seem to be different design interface philosophies between US and Germany, and a lot of games popular in Germany are often found to be somewhat clunky here.

Bonzi

First Post
I enjoyed Gothic II quite a bit. I have ordered the UK Import version of Gothic III and should get it tomorrow. Early impressions are it's a resource hog and somewhat buggy, but I've heard enough positive things that I'm still looking forward to trying it out myself. BTW, anyone who doesn't want to wait a month for the US release can pick up the import version from gogamer.com. From what I understand, there's not really a difference between the US and UK versions.

I played both Gothic I and II and found them to be amongst the best RPGs I ever played (up there with Fallout, BG 2, and Planescape Torment). The controls take some getting use to, and the beginnings are HARD. Combat feels clumsy, but you start completely unskilled. Once you get some levels under you, it becomes much smoother, and actually exciting. I found it to be a nice balance between strategy and twitchy action (which I suck at). I didn't find the game noticably buggier than any other computer game - certainly nothing showstopping.

The storyline is great, especially for Gothic 1. The NPCs are memorable, with solid voice acting. The world feels real. The games are very open (especially the 1st one). I would find myself just climbint to the top of a mountain just to see the view. Oddly, I found the world more vibrant than Morrowind, even though the graphics were inferior.

I've actually been toying with the idea of converting Gothic to a paper rpg (setting, not the ruleset) - it was that good.

However, when I lent the game to other people, they were not as enthusiastic as me so take my advice with a grain of salt. Some people love it (see rpgdot.com), but others are indifferent. Fortunately, you can buy Gothic 2 Gold really cheaply these days, though it's a better experience if you can track down Gothic I first (out of print).

It will run on XP (at least it did on my machine). You can usually find copies kicking around ebay.

Rl'Halsinor said:
I looked up Gothic 1, but as you say it is not avaliable and if I read correctly it is not desinged for XP. Or am I wrong about XP?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases