Microlite20 : the smallest thing in gaming

dunbruha

First Post
Just wanted to chime in and say how much I like this system. I'm definitely giving it a try (if I can convince my group, that is...)

I do have one question, concerning the Magic attack bonus (= MIND bonus + Level). What is this used for?

Mondbuchstaben

First Post
dunbruha said:
Just wanted to chime in and say how much I like this system. I'm definitely giving it a try (if I can convince my group, that is...)

I do have one question, concerning the Magic attack bonus (= MIND bonus + Level). What is this used for?
From the rules:
"A Cleric can Turn Undead with a successful Magic Attack. DC is the current Hit Points of the Undead. If the DC is exceeded by 10 it is destroyed. This can be used (2 + Level + MIND Bonus) times per day."

And attack spells:
http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=3159777&postcount=111

dunbruha

First Post
Mondbuchstaben said:
From the rules:
"A Cleric can Turn Undead with a successful Magic Attack. DC is the current Hit Points of the Undead. If the DC is exceeded by 10 it is destroyed. This can be used (2 + Level + MIND Bonus) times per day."

And attack spells:
http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=3159777&postcount=111

OK, thanks, I forgot about the turn undead.

But this part I don't follow (from the link above):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepoDM
Also, how exactly does the Magic attack bonus = MIND bonus + Level rule work? I understand the concept, but in regular D&D this is usually automatic with the monster having the spell cast on him rolling a Saving Throw. Is this rule used for any form of attack spell?

We use it for most spells that could affect another creature. d20+Magical Attack bonus gives the DC for the poor schmuck to beat. The only exception is range attacks (Rays, etc) or touch spells, which use missile or melee attack bonus, of course.

But there is already a provision for a spell's DC: "The Difficulty Class (DC) for all spells is 10 + Caster Level + Caster's MIND bonus". So if the poor schmuck needs to "save" (MIND bonus + level), then he uses that DC.

So in what situations is an "Attack Bonus" needed? For "Most spells that could affect another creature"? Like Magic Missle? Sleep? MM shouldn't require any "attack roll". And Sleep should (if anything) require a "save". Could you please give an example of a spell that uses the Attack Bonus? Thanks.

greywulf

First Post
Sorry for the delay in replying, dunbruha :)

In our games we've used the Magical Attack bonus for a number of things, including setting the save DC for spells in place of the usual Spell-level based Save DC; that way, the difficulty to resist the spell is based on the level of the character rather than the level of the spell. In other words, resisting the Sleep spell cast by a 20th level Mage is harder than resisting against the same spell cast by a 1st level apprentice. Makes sense to us, anyhow. Sometimes we do it, sometimes we don't. Depends on the style of game, I guess.

We also enjoy trying out other magic systems (several are listed on the Macropedia), and use the Magical Attack bonus then in a similar manner to any other attack bonus.

Hope that helps!

Folks, in light of the Long Threads Moratorium I reckon it's time to retire this long and venerable thread. Heck, it's around 200 times longer than the entire Microlite 20 Core Rules! Many thanks to you, one and all.

If you want, start another Microlite20 thread, and I'll hop on board.

greywulf

First Post
This thread is dead. This thread is no more. This thread has passed the mortal coil and joined the great Monty Python sketch in the sky.

Thanks to dunbruha, we've got a shiny new reborn Microlite20 thread, right here.

See you there!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases