Microlite20 : the smallest thing in gaming

Wik

First Post
Hunh. I just can't see it running well in my games, but, like you said, it just might run better in actual play.

I think you need a simplified spell list made up. Really, you have an awesome idea here that should be developed. Spells = HP loss is a system I've never been happy with (and I've used it before, in, say Shadowrun), and I think a more Vancian model would fit D&D better. Since you say one of your goals is interchangability with D&D, I thought keeping as close to the D&D baseline as possible would be important.

One thing I forgot to mention was Spot and Listen checks - are these Subterfuge skills, or what? I kind of like the idea of making them "everyone" skills, as is done in Iron Heroes. It could be cool for everyone to have a perception skill, or something. I don't know about you, but in my games, "Roll for Spot" is the most common thing I say, and if you take a class that offers spot as a skill, you max it out. It might be nice for everyone to be on roughly the same footing in regards to that.

One thing about this minimized game that I feel is missing would be character generation. It just doesn't feel like a game, to me. Were it me, I'd add a "feats" or "traits" system, where players pick one feat that advances with their characters as they progress. I guess it sort of defeats the purpose of your rules, but if I had bought this product from you, I'd be adding such a system to suit my own play needs.

greywulf

First Post
kroh said:
Used this system last night for a little Halloweenie Fright and Screamy! It was very fun and we started playing right away (we all made up characters that day before the game). One of the best DND sessions I have ever played ( I didn't have to go digging in a rule book for thirty pages to find a rule or looking around the corner to find a lawyer for said rules). Characters were generated in no time flat.

STUPENDOUS!

Regards,
Walt

P.S. If word of this gets out you might want to hire protection as I am sure some one will try and take you out!

Walt, if Microlite20 is ever printed as a hardcover (yeh, right!) I swear I'm going to use that quote on the cover.

Thanks for the praise! :)

Wik

First Post
It is a pretty nifty little system. I'd be careful, Wulf, or WotC might just gank your system and use it as the next D&D basic game.

MeepoDM

First Post
greywulf said:
I agree the existing working is kinda kludgy. Maybe taking your wording but adding the caveat that all multiple attacks must still be at least +1 to be allowed, so +6/+1 is ok, but +6/+1/-4 isn't. That sets the limit to number of attacks without being too rules heavy.

"Character's may take additional attacks, but each extra attacks suffers a cumulative -5 penalty to its attack roll. All multiple attacks must still be at least +1 to be allowed. For example +6/+1 is ok, but +6/+1/-4 isn't."

Hmmmmmmmmm.......... that's still a bit unwieldy. Can anyone suggest a better turn of phrase?

You're kinder than I - I'd just rule that PC's get one attack per round, period. Now that's old school, baby! :D

Wik

First Post
Regarding multiple attacks: just do what the d6 games do. For every action beyond the first, a penalty is added to ALL actions made during that round.

For example, in d6, if you were making a single skill check, you might roll 4d6. If you wanted to make that skill check twice in a round (firing two shots, for example), you'd roll 3d6 for each shot. Three shots? 2d6 for each roll. Try to accomplish too much in a round, and nothing succeeded.

I would say you could use this in game, but for each attack you make, there's a -5 placed on EACH skill check.

I have a +9 attack bonus. I want to make two swings with my sword? +4/+4. Three swings? -1/-1/-1. Four swings? -6/-6/-6/6. What if I, say, wanted to swing my staff and cast a spell? +4 for the staff, and a -5 penalty on the d20 roll to make my spell check (or, perhaps better, a bonus for the character's saving throw against my spell?).

greywulf

First Post
Wik said:
I think you need a simplified spell list made up.

I agree, though I suspect that agreeing which spell should be in the list would differ from group to group, or even player to player. One for y'all to decide yourselves folks. I'm backing away from that carefully :)

Wik said:
Really, you have an awesome idea here that should be developed. Spells = HP loss is a system I've never been happy with (and I've used it before, in, say Shadowrun), and I think a more Vancian model would fit D&D better. Since you say one of your goals is interchangability with D&D, I thought keeping as close to the D&D baseline as possible would be important.

For some folks, I'm sure you're right. Run with Microlite20 in whichever way you want. For me though, "working like D&D" is less important than "being able to use all the cool D&D stuff". I prefer mostly compatible to mostly interoperable. I went with a Will and the Word route for spellcasting (do anything limited by your ability (level) and mortal frame (HP) rather) than the Vancian system because it makes for a faster game, which is the overall objective. No tedious spell memorisation in the morning, no working out which spells are needed in advance, and no spellbooks. Simple, fast, and still able to use D&D spells. That was the idea, anyhow.

Wik said:
One thing I forgot to mention was Spot and Listen checks - are these Subterfuge skills, or what? I kind of like the idea of making them "everyone" skills, as is done in Iron Heroes. It could be cool for everyone to have a perception skill, or something. I don't know about you, but in my games, "Roll for Spot" is the most common thing I say, and if you take a class that offers spot as a skill, you max it out. It might be nice for everyone to be on roughly the same footing in regards to that.

Listen and Spot both equate to Subterfuge+MIND, though I suspect in-game most GMs would just call for a Listen or Spot check, and the players will learn after a few minute that it's sub+MIND. Told you Rogues were king when it comes to Subterfuge :)

Wik said:
One thing about this minimized game that I feel is missing would be character generation. It just doesn't feel like a game, to me. Were it me, I'd add a "feats" or "traits" system, where players pick one feat that advances with their characters as they progress. I guess it sort of defeats the purpose of your rules, but if I had bought this product from you, I'd be adding such a system to suit my own play needs.

Cool. There's no need to buy it. It's free :) Add what you want, deduct what you want (not that there's much to deduct). If it forms the basis of your own mini system too, that's great too.

Pbartender

First Post
greywulf said:
What's a "Take 20"? I don't see no rule for that in Microlite20? :)

Essentially Take 20... meaning a player could simply roll for 20 (or more) attacks in a single round, and he's bound to get at least one natural 20.

Wik said:
I would say you could use this in game, but for each attack you make, there's a -5 placed on EACH skill check.

I have a +9 attack bonus. I want to make two swings with my sword? +4/+4. Three swings? -1/-1/-1. Four swings? -6/-6/-6/6. What if I, say, wanted to swing my staff and cast a spell? +4 for the staff, and a -5 penalty on the d20 roll to make my spell check (or, perhaps better, a bonus for the character's saving throw against my spell?).

That's not half-bad idea...

greywulf

First Post
ok, here's the question. I'll put together an M20MM with 30 critters (no more, no less :)). What I want to know it this:

Which critters do you want to see?

From Microlite20 itself and bytor4232's sterling work, so far we have:

Goblin, HD1, hp 5, AC 12, +1 Morningstar d6, +4 subterfuge
Hobgoblin, HD1, hp 5, AC 15, +1 Longsword 1d8+1, +4 subterfuge
Zombie HD1, hp 7, AC 10, +2 slam d6+1
Orc HD2, hp 10, AC 13, +4 Axe d8+2, +5 physical
Skeleton Warrior HD2, hp 14, AC 12, +2 Longsword d8
Bugbear HD3, hp 16, AC 17, +5 Morningstar 1d8+2, +6 physical
Ogre HD5, hp 25, AC 13, +8 Club d6+3, +8 physical
Dragon, Small HD10, hp70, AC 17, +15 bite d8+5 or +10 Fire Breath d20, +13 physical

That's 8 out of the thirty. Note that these don't relate in any way to the "official" D&D stats - I just made'em up off the top of my head in true Microlite20 style.

I'm guessing for Monster Manual though, you'll want something that's *very* close to the D&D norm.

But which critters would you call iconic? For Microlite20, we'll want creature that a easy to run too, hence my simplified dragon above.

There's your challenge - 30 monsters. Pick them, and I'll put together a Monster Manual based on your suggestions.

Thanks!

Oh, and I'm going to put up a website for Microlite20 soon. You'll all get full credits for your participation up there :)

UPDATE: The site is up is full glorious minimalist retro technicolour. Only without the technicolour.

Last edited:

kroh

First Post
HOLY POOP! I was Quoted on the web site. I love sound bites!

I love that the site is so "minimalized." Great job!

Regards,
Walt

P.S. Added a link to Microlite20 to my web site!

MeepoDM

First Post
Hehe I know what you mean... I'm blushin'! Guess I'd better get the idea wagon rolling to keep up now!

Perfect webpage for the teeny system with a stellar personality!

Remove ads