Eberron / Sunken city in Thunder Sea / Adventure Ideas

Okay, my players have chosen to Plane Shift back to my Eberron game and rolled poorly for their acurracy. Worse- they ended up over the open expanse of the Thunder Sea. I am going to attempt a story with a largely sunken city where the tallest towers poke out of the water only.

I am looking for ideas or things to consider.

Creatures I am considering to use-

Nesting Bronze Dragons

Sahuagin (too obvious but seems wrong not to include them)

Some sort of Fiendish home. I'm considering the use of Aspects as evil genies / outsiders.

Things to consider-

Players are 13-15th level
halfling Rogue
Dwarven Defender with psionics
Dwarven Battle Smith / Cleric
Human super healing cleric
Arcane archer
x-breed outsider fighter (grendel- 1/2 Troll / 1/2 dwarf)

Magic item heavy but not for water use

What I have mapped out includes 30 towers of which about 10 emerge from the water. I plan on having bridges with some of these. My other thought is possibly another area where gravity is light much like Sharn but here the towers "float" about 25 feet off the water's bottom. May have neat possibilities this way. Also a reason for the constant thick mist (floating water)

Just looking for thoughts or ideas.

Crothian

First Post
I'd have plenty of Sahuagin, let the players have fun blasting them if they choose. I'd have them looting the sunken city as if they'd just found it or perhaps it just appeared here recently. Inside you can have some of those aspects as former servants or something to the city and now that their masters are dead (or are they?) they are free to run amok.

icedrake

Explorer
What plane did they shift from?

I'd use the poor roll your player made plus the energies from the plane they came from dictate what kind of creatures you populate the city with. I'd make the city a manifest zone for the moon of ice and another one, maybe the one of war? A fiend could have been preparing to enact a ritual tha would call more of his brethern from their home plane but your player's plane shift mishap affected his ritual and caused it to fizzle. He knows that someone or something has just crossed the planar boundries somewhere within his domain but not sure where. He's sending out his creatures to hunt for them and bring back recon on them.

You'll want some powerful underwater minor fiends, some aberations and dire animals for the players to encounter, plus a final baddie for them to fight. I mean you could turn this into a whole side quest if you wanted to.

The nesting dragon could be there to watch the fiend's plan unfold by way of the Prophesy and would be a useful ally to the players. I'd make him fairly young, a similar cr to the players so that he can't come out of the middle of no where and defeat the fiend on his own, but could provide the players with minor bits of help. He should also likely be polymorphed most of the time as a benine sea creature, like a dophlin or something.

Kaodi

Hero
I Think...

You should make it a city of tritons. Evil, demonic tritons, with sahuagin slaves and magebred giant octopi for pets.

Anti-Sean

First Post
Two or more factions of sahuagin and/or other creatures warring over control of the city (or a portion of the city); the party can become embroiled in their conflict. (I'm not sure if you want to use the old 'the arrival of the party was prophesied' trope or not) Major players in the struggle, either at the forefront or behind the scenes:

A four-armed saghuagin barbarian/druid gestalt, Champion of the Devourer
A sea hag sorceress and her covey
A barnacle and coral-encrusted warforged who sank beneath the waves 15-20 years ago during a catastrophic naval battle.
An excoriated member of a dragonmarked house (Lyrandar?)
A kraken
Perhaps one of your bronze dragons is a dracolich *wrings hands with glee*

For extra fun, one of the Daelkyr has taken an interest in the city, and has been developing new breeds of warped servants based upon the undersea creatures there (sahuagin + dolgaunt = freaky!)

Kaodi

Hero
Did I Mention...

That the ruler of the evil, demonic tritons should be a level 15 sorceress named Leira? And make her really sadistic and capricious, with plenty of ranks in perform (sing). And a +4 shocking burst trident of aquatic humanoid bane named Harpoon. And a tauric mermaind / giant crab cohort named Nait'Sabes.

frankthedm

First Post
megamania said:
Worse- they ended up over the open expanse of the Thunder Sea. I am going to attempt a story with a largely sunken city where the tallest towers poke out of the water only.
Sunken city... well besides the fish men [see below for a cloud giant sized mutant fish man] you can't go wrong with an ancient [actually, just very old] evil sleeping beneath the waves. This thing might be too tough for them, but you know your PC's capabilities better than I do. If the space creature template is unneeded, just tear off the cyan coloured text. [sblock=Huge Star Spawn, Space creature very old green dragon.] Size/Type: Huge Dragon (Air) [Vacuum?]
Hit Dice: 29d12+174 (391)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 ft., fly 150 ft. (poor), Spaceflight 40’ (perfect), swim 40 ft
Armor Class: 37 (+1 dex,-2 size, +28 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 36
Base Attack/Grapple: +29/+48
Attack: Tentacle bite +39 melee (2d8+16)
Full Attack: Tentacle ‘bite’ +38 melee (2d8+16), 2 flabby claws +36 melee (2d6+5), 2 membranous wings +36 melee (1d8+5) & Corpulent Tail +36 melee(2d6+16)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft. (15 ft. with Tentacle bite)
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, crush, spells, spell Like abilities.
Special Qualities: Blindsence 60’, Darkvision 120’, DR 15 Magic, Dragon Overland Movement, Immunity to Acid, Paralysis and Sleep, Keen Senses, Lowlight Vision, Water Breathing, Radiation Resistance, Resistance to fire 20, Resistance to cold 20, Spaceflight, SR 25, Vacuum Survival.
Saves: Fort +23, Ref +17, Will +19
Abilities[non elite]: Str 32, Dex 13, Con 25, Int 18, Wis 16, Cha 17
Skills: Concentration +35, Diplomacy +35, Escape Artist +25, Hide +25, Knowledge (Far Realm)+28, Listen +35, Move Silently +35, Search +28, Sense Motive +27, Spot +35, Use Magic Device +35.
Feats: Multiattack(1HD), Hover (3HD), Wingover (6HD), Power Attack (9HD), Cleave (12HD), Eschew components (15HD), Combat Expertise(18HD), Improved Trip(21HD), Improved Disarm(24HD), Combat Reflexes(27HD), Zero-G Training (bonus)
Environment: The cold black void and underwater vaults.
Organization: Solitary, Cabal 1d4, Worshipped Enforcer(1+1d100 commoner cultists and 1d10 spellcasters) or Minions (1d6 + Something even worse).
Challenge Rating: 20
Treasure: Triple standard
Alignment: Always Chaotic evil
Speaks Draconic, Aquaan, Abysaal, Common and Giant

Spells [as an 11th level Sorcerer]
 0th DM, RM, Arcane Mark, Prestidigitation, Message, Mage Hand, , , . (DC16)
 1st Mage Armor, Shield, True strike, Obscuring mist, Expeditious retreat. (DC14)
 2nd Cat’s Grace, Endure Elements, See Invisibility, Arcane lock$, Bear’s Endurance(DC15)
 3rd Shrink Item, Haste, Displacement, Fireball. (DC16)
 4th Confusion, Greater invisibility, Stoneskin$. (DC17)
 5th Feeblemind, Teleport.
$=Costly component

Spell Like abilities
 Suggestion (DC16)
 Control Plants

Breath Weapon (Su): This horrid creature has one type of breath weapon, a cone of corrosive (acid) gas. 50’ Cone, DC30 Reflex, 18d6 Acid. It can use this breath weapon each 1d4 rounds.

Crush (Ex): This horrid creature can land on opponents of up to small size as a standard action. Creatures in the affected area must succeed on a Reflex save (DC 30) or be pinned, automatically taking bludgeoning damage (2d8+18)during the next round unless the dragon moves off them. If the dragon chooses to maintain the pin, treat it as a normal grapple attack. Pinned opponents take damage from the crush each round if they don’t escape.

Frightful Presence (Ex): Whenever it attacks, charges, or flies overhead. 270’ Radius, those with 29 or fewer HD must Will save (DC 27).On a failure, creatures with 4 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. Dragons ignore this effect. Those who succeed the save are immune to this effect for 24 hours.

Radiation Resistance (Ex): This horrid creature gains a +8 species bonus on saves to resist any kind of radiation poisoning.

Vacuum Survival (Ex): It is unknown if this horrid creature creates its own oxygen supply or doesn’t need to breathe at all. It can exist in zero-atmosphere environments.

Spaceflight: In space and other zero-gravity environments, this creature gains a fly speed equal to its base speed (perfect maneuverability).

Water Breathing (Ex): ): It is unknown if this horrid creature creates its own oxygen supply or doesn’t need to breathe at all. It can also use its breath weapon, spells, and other abilities while submerged.

ZERO-G TRAINING
You can function normally in low gravity or zero gravity.
Prerequisites: Dexterity 13, Tumble 4 ranks.
Benefits: You take no penalty on attack rolls in low-gravity or zero-gravity environments. In addition, you do not suffer the debilitating effects of space sickness.
Normal: Without this feat, you take a –4 penalty on attack rolls while operating in zero-gravity environments, or a –2 penalty on attack rolls while operating in low-gravity environments. In addition, you are subject to the effects of Space Adaptation Syndrome, also known as space sickness.
[/sblock] For that Eberron-y shades of grey morality, the Sahaugin, unable to defeat the creature, placate it with sacrifices and mock worship, so that it does not wreak havok on the ocean. They violently warn off outsiders they don't need for sacrifices, fearing minions of the 'wyrm' [Delkyr]. If the players wipe out the sahaugin out due to initial hostilities, a far worse threat is loosed.
[sblock= Ancient Mutant fishfolk]
Size/Type: Huge aberration (aquatic)
Hit Dice: 14d8+84 (147hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), Swim 40 ft.
Armor Class: 18 (+9 natural, +1 dex, -2 size), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+30
Attack: Claw +20 melee (1d8+13) or Rake +20 [3d6+6] or Huge Long spear +20 melee (3d6+19 19-20 x3) or Huge heavy crossbow +8 ranged (3d8/19-20 or Huge javelin +8 ranged (2d6+13).
Full Attack: 2 Claws +15 melee (1d8+13) & bite +13 melee (3d6+6), or Huge Long spear +20/+15 melee (3d6+19 19-20 x3) & bite +18 melee (3d6+6) or Large Heavy crossbow +8 ranged (3d8/19-20) or Large javelin +8 ranged (2d6+13).
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Rake 2d6+4
Special Qualities: Amphibious, Low light vision
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +5, Will +9
Abilities: Str 36, Dex 12, Con 22, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 6
Skills: Hide+10*, Listen +14*, move silently +10, Spot +14*, Swim +21, Survival +2
Feats: Multiattack (1HD), Power Attack (3HD), Great Fortitude(6HD), Combat Reflexes 9HD, Improved critical [Long Spear]12HD
Environment: Deep waters.
Organization: As needed
Challenge Rating: 10 [see below]
Treasure: Standard (Double art objects; gold only)
Alignment: Pretty darn evil most of the time.
Advancement: 15-26 huge

These creatures typically speak common, learning Aquaan or a similar language as they adapt to life in the sea.

Their treasures often consist of mundane items, made primarily from strange whitish gold, along with jewelry of the same nature.

Combat
These creatures are proficient with all simple weapons, favoring those that work underwater.

Rake (Ex): Attack bonus: same as claw, damage (3d6+ 1/2 Str bonus). A Mutant fishfolk also gains two rake attacks when it attacks while swimming.

Skills * Mutant fishfolk have a +4 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, and Spot checks underwater.

A mutant fishfolk has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Note: CR 10 is approximately where this creature’s combat potency puts it at. Aberrations are usually not built so “beat down” as Monte made the D20 deep ones, so their normal HD advancement of 4HD / 1CR needs slight evaluation [which would place this specimen at CR7]. Approximately between a fire and a cloud giants potency, but notably worse AC. A comparatively negligible ranged attack and far worse saves than the cloud giant as well. I’d almost say the Cloud’s 11 rather than the fire’s 10, but the lacking the Fire giant’s immunity to the most common energy attack and lacking the BaB for the 3rd weapon swing I’d say keep it at 10.[/sblock] I have some more advanced deep ones in my advanced monster thread.

Last edited:

This is what I am leaning to as of now-

"Back in the day"....

Minotaurs were THE dungeon builders and took great pride in their work. One of the best known (then anyways) built his masterpiece on an island near Xen'drik's shore. Some say it was the gods and others say the giants- but his grand dungeon and the fortress/city built around its entrance was sunken. Unknown to all, it sunk in such a way the dungeon survived and most of the buildings survived.

Hidden under the waves and away from the more traveled sections of the sea, it sat undiscovered by all but the sahuagin whom shunned it believing it to be haunted and cursed.

A few decades ago, it rose slightly. Several towers now protrude through the surface. The high city walls are a mere ten feet from the surface.

Meanwhile, a small group of Lizardfolk monks had a vision and they sought the source of their vision. Learning much of the site, they have taken an oath to observe and qualify any that wish to enter the forgotten and very dangerous dungeon that can be accessed through a tower.

Enter two mated pair of Dragons looking for a safe place to bring up their young. While exploring these ruins, the LG dragons and the LN monks agree to protect each other if required but otherwise leave each other alone. While further exploring, the dragons discover Draconic Prophesy runes within one of the towers. They settle down if only to study and protect these runes.

[ as a side note, these young will become empowered from the constant presense of the runes and gain a special place in the history of Eberron somewhere down the future]

Enter a group of Sauhguin looking for plunder and a place for their slinter group to go. Ignoring the rumors and superstitions they try to settle the ruins under the water.

The Saghuin hold the greater power under water, the monks above water and the dragons are too preoccupied to care (unless the battle threatens their young or the Runes).

Enter the party whom have swum for a mile or two after their planar Shift spell dumps them 395 miles due north of their target (Stormreach).

Which side will they choise? Hard to say. I do know that they will want to check out this dungeon and discover minotaur ghosts, undead and the traps still work. At the bottom-

I'll work on that next.

countgray

First Post
T-REX with Water Element Creature Template

I ran an underwater adventure once in the City of Glass on the elemental plane of Water.

One memorable encounter involved a T-REX with the water element creature template. He was made out of water, so he was practically invisible in water (50% miss chance for total concealment). The thief got swallowed whole, and that certainly looked weird as he tried to cut himself out of an invisible dinosaur belly.

The thing tore through the party dealing lots of damage. Made all the more creepy by the fact they couldn't see it. It was a fun encounter!

Remove ads