Pregenerated Characters

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Is there any free source of pregenerated D20 Modern characters that anyone could point me to?

I want to run a one-shot 'attack of the zombies' game, and hand out some Average-Joe characters, plus have a stack of new ones to replace those that die. Kind of like: "ok, Bob is ripped apart by the zombies..In the next room, you hear Steve, who was hiding and heard you come in..

arscott

First Post
The menace manual is a good place to start. I ran a convention game in june using Barrett's crew as the PCs.

It has a lot of average-joe types, but they're statted out with ordinary levels, not heroic levels, so they'll take some modification.

JPL

Adventurer
I'd say you should just use some Ordinaries from either the d20 Modern book or Menace Manual. For this sort of game, I'd want each character sheet to have a picture, a quick bio, and some sort of little roleplaying hook, just to help these characters feel real and let the players do a wide range of people screaming "SHOOT IT IN THE HEAD! SHOOT IT IN THE HEAD!!"

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Actually, changing ordinaries to heroes is pretty easy, ordinaries don't get hero class abilities, or 25pt buy, but other than that, they are the same.

I think I'm also going to use poker chips as a sort of hero currency. Do something heroic, or hard, get a token. Fumble your weapon, spend a token to negate it. Maybe a different color for class abilities, like spells or emulating feats. I think I'm going to hand out tokens for free, when I want something bad or funny to happen (when the dice roll that way, not to be mean :p ), then the player can either keep it or immediately spend it to have that bad thing not happen. example, rolling a 1 on an attack roll = drop or break weapon (break if improvised weapon). spend the free token to have that not happen, or keep it, and maybe spend it later, to kick down a door and get away, or jump to the next building's balcony to get away.

Thanks for pointing me to character stuff.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Kmart Kommando said:
Actually, changing ordinaries to heroes is pretty easy, ordinaries don't get hero class abilities, or 25pt buy, but other than that, they are the same.
The only difference between an ordinary in the back of d20 Modern and a hero built using the rules in the front section is action points, talents and bonus feats, a.k.a. Class Features.

All of the ordinaries in the back of the book have the "standard array". In D&D these stats are known as the "elite array". 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 arranged to suit. This is equivalent to a 25 point buy.
Kmart Kommando said:
I think I'm also going to use poker chips as a sort of hero currency. Do something heroic, or hard, get a token. Fumble your weapon, spend a token to negate it. Maybe a different color for class abilities, like spells or emulating feats. I think I'm going to hand out tokens for free, when I want something bad or funny to happen (when the dice roll that way, not to be mean :p ), then the player can either keep it or immediately spend it to have that bad thing not happen. example, rolling a 1 on an attack roll = drop or break weapon (break if improvised weapon). spend the free token to have that not happen, or keep it, and maybe spend it later, to kick down a door and get away, or jump to the next building's balcony to get away.
Sounds like good stuff.
Keep in mind that improvised weapons have a 50% break chance with every successful attack.

Good Luck!

Kmart Kommando

First Post
ValhallaGH said:
Sounds like good stuff.
Keep in mind that improvised weapons have a 50% break chance with every successful attack.

Good Luck!
That seems kinda steep, some of those items they list couldn't be broken on purpose. :\
If you hit someone with a fire extinguisher and it breaks before they do, you're in the wrong fight. :lol:

Colossal: Junked vehicle, stoplight, telephone pole 2d8
A junked vehicle is an improvised weapon, so if you break it, then it's still a junked vehicle, so you can use it again. ;)

Remove ads