the OGL/OGC and d20 License

EarthsShadow

First Post
I have a question about all these licenses and legalities.

With the release of Everquest rpg being under the OGL but not the d20 License yet its fully using the d20 system, how is it possible for someone to use the OGL and even the OGC Licenses but not the d20 when the games uses the d20 system?

I am confused on this and could someone explain it to me so I understand.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The D20 STL deals only with the use of the D20 logo. Thus "D20 System Trademark License".

The OGL is the license that deals with Open Gaming Content (such as that found in the SRD - i.e. the d20 System itself, as opposed to the logo).

You can use the OGL without the D20 STL. In fact, Open Gaming Content doesn't have to have anything to do with D20 at all. You could declare an item of art or your mother's recipe for fruit-cake Open under the license. But without using the D20 STL, you can't put the D20 logo on that fruit cake. :)

EarthsShadow

First Post
and by not putting the d20 system logo on your book you are not forced to follow the same guidelines as in the D&D books for rules? You can change whatever you want and however you want and use the d20 system as it is, right?

Ranger REG

Explorer
Pretty much. Just as long you abide by the terms of the Open Gaming License and most importantly update Section 15 when using other publishers' OGC, or that you are contributing your own OGC.

EarthsShadow

First Post
cool

I ask cuz I have an idea for a cool world and game mechanic but the standard format for character advancement with the current classes and how they are structured wouldn't work with my idea.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases