The call goes out... Avengers Assemble...

Cor Azer

First Post
This may be completely out of left field here... but... why "Avengers"?

To be fair, I've never actually read the first issues of the Avengers when they formed, so maybe this was exlained, but my understanding is that they banded together to stop a rampaging Hulk. So... why call themselves "The Avengers"? Doesn't that scream retribution? Were they retaliating against something the Hulk did?

As iconic as their gathering cry is, and as much as I like the team and its members, that name has always seemed... off... to me.

Anyone know?

Storm Raven

First Post
Cor Azer said:
This may be completely out of left field here... but... why "Avengers"?

To be fair, I've never actually read the first issues of the Avengers when they formed, so maybe this was exlained, but my understanding is that they banded together to stop a rampaging Hulk. So... why call themselves "The Avengers"? Doesn't that scream retribution? Were they retaliating against something the Hulk did?

As iconic as their gathering cry is, and as much as I like the team and its members, that name has always seemed... off... to me.

Anyone know?

The original Avengers were formed to combat Loki, who had tricked the Hulk into destroying some stuff (a railroad I think). The original team was named by the founding members (Thor, Iron Man, Wasp, the Hulk, and Henry Pym). I don't remember why they chose the name Avengers, but I do remember that it was originally proposed by Wasp.

Klaus

First Post
I have often wondered this myself.

It'd make much more sense if they were named The Defenders, or The Protectors. Or even The Caretakers!

"Caretakers Converge!"

:D

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Storm Raven said:
I don't remember why they chose the name Avengers, but I do remember that it was originally proposed by Wasp.

They chose it just because it sounded cool. She was throwing out names and when she said that one, they all went 'Whoa, stop. That's what we're using'.

Vigilance

Explorer
It was originally chosen because it sounds cool. However, after the events of Avengers Disassembeled Id suggest they now have something to avenge.

Chuck

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Klaus said:
It'd make much more sense if they were named The Defenders, or The Protectors. Or even The Caretakers!

Well, The Defenders were a different group.

And the Protectors were played by my gaming group back when the Marvel Superhero RPG first came out. Steal our name at your peril! :)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Umbran said:
And the Protectors were played by my gaming group back when the Marvel Superhero RPG first came out. Steal our name at your peril! :)

We almost went with Protectors but settled on Guardians after one player's attempt to come up with a good acronym that we could agree on failed. His last attempt was L.E.J.E.N.D (Law-Enforcement Juveniles Ending Nihilist Domain). It just didn't have the right ring to it.

Klaus

First Post
Umbran said:

Yeah, I know. It'd be a legacy thing!

No, wait.

Wrong publisher. :)

Templetroll

Explorer
Umbran said:

Our super group back in the day was called the Vindicators. Our GM thought our heroes were confused by the name. Instead of bring justice to the wronged our team seemed to think 'to vindicate' meant 'cause copious amounts of collateral damage'.

We were based in Philadelphia and destroyed Camden... twice.... well, once was we angered the evil aliens in their space ship and one of our guys punched the ship just as they fired their death ray and it got nudged so it missed Philly but hit Camden. The other time was we were trying to disposed of a nuke and made a tactical error about where to teleport it to.

Remove ads