drnuncheon's Freeport Story Hour - Book II: Inheritance

drnuncheon

Explorer
Rain pounded like hammers on the city of Freeport - a battering, ceaseless rain that seemed determined to drown the city, to break it apart and wash it into the sea. In this, it was doomed to failure, as it had been for hundreds of years before. But still it tried.

The rain poured itself in endless sheets on the earthen streets of Drac's End, turning them into a morass of mud and mire that sucked and grasped at the boots of a group of slumming young fops...and the armed men that followed them unseen.

It doused the cobbled byways and alleys of the Old City, washing away the evidence of sin: a faint trickle of red making its way to the rushing sewers. At the source, water splashed and pooled in an empty place that once held a heart.

And on the docks, it soaked five men to the skin. Four, huddled and miserable, pulled oiled cloaks tighter around them, trying to scavenge warmth if not dryness. The fifth walked through the rain as if it were nothing.

b2sep.gif

Inside the dusty confines of a warehouse, the sound of the rain was muted almost to silence. Lanterns, barely burning, cast long shadows as another group of men unload a wagon. One glanced repeatedly towards the ceiling.

"Arjis, what the hell is wrong wth you?"

"Sorry, boss. It's just...the last time we was here..."

"Yeah, yeah. You got nothin' to worry about. They made the crazy elf b-tch a detective...she ain't workin' the docks anymore. And nobody's investigating us, we got that from our inside source."

"I know, but..."

Arjis' sentence was never finished. As he opened his mouth to continue, the heavy wooden doors of the warehouse exploded into splinters. Jagged wooden shrapnel felled three of the smugglers, sending them spinning to the floor.

Five men stepped in from the rain, hooded and cloaked. The tallest, in the center, let his gaze sweep over the stunned smugglers, then nodded almost imperceptibly beneath his hood.

The warehouse erupted into motion, as the smugglers dove for their weapons, but the five men moved slowly, unhurried. Almost in unison, the oiled cloaks fell open, hands twisted into arcane gestures, and the air was filled with the sounds of an alien tongue.

Arjis had just enough time to scream, and then the world was fire.

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
Based on my current rate of rewriting the first 5 episodes of Book I, I should be done sometime around the time George Lucas finishes the third Star Wars trilogy. So, rather than drag everything out, I thought I'd post a little bit of a 'teaser' here for Book II.

We will begin playing next Friday, if all goes as planned.

Two rainy, windswept months have passed since the events that lead to the deaths or disappearances of a quarter of the Captain's Council - including the Sea Lord himself. The city has been in a state of chaos, left without a leader, and the Council has been fighting to keep it under control. Various claimants to the Sea Lord's mantle have come forth, but as of yet none have been proven descendants of the Drac line.

Oddly enough, all of this matters little to the direct cause of the chaos. Dru and Di'Fier have some rather significant problems of their own...

J

Last edited:

Boss

First Post
YAY!!!!!

All right! DrNuncheon is back with a vengeance. I read three people's story's religiously - Piratecat, Sagiro, and DrNuncheon. Glad to see that Book 2 is ready to kick off!

Heh, a group of badass wizards (or sorcerers) already. Great prelude!

Jon Potter

First Post
SWE-E-E-E-T!!!

I was perhaps more excited than I should admit to see an update message appear in my In Box!

I was doubly excitied to see that there's a new thread.

Based on hints you've dropped, I can guess who those cloaked figures are and all I can say is: those poor smugglers.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Re: SWE-E-E-E-T!!!

Jon Potter said:
I was perhaps more excited than I should admit to see an update message appear in my In Box!

I was doubly excitied to see that there's a new thread.

Based on hints you've dropped, I can guess who those cloaked figures are and all I can say is: those poor smugglers.

Email me, I'm curious to see if your guess is right. ;)

J

Krellic

Explorer
Just when I was feeling like something really seedy, Freeport comes swaggering back to centre stage. I'm really looking forward to seeing how you continue the adventures of our heroes!

Welcome back!

drnuncheon

Explorer
Horacio said:
Horacio has arrived :)

BUMP!

Hey Horacio, good to see you back. Hope you enjoyed all the cliffhangers you missed. 8) Er, and your vacation too!

Going back over some stuff, something Jon said finally registered and I want to clear up the fact that the first session is *next* Friday. This past Friday we finished (for now) Dru's game. Every time I thought we had it all figured out there was another twist! Poor Aelric's mind is all knotted now - he was definitely turning 'palanoid' for a while. But he got to show an anti-paladin that age and experience overcome youth and speed. ;)

Anyway, I'll try to put up another teaser sometime this week.

J

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases