There HAS to be a way to build a drow mage...there has to be.

WarlockLord

First Post
I am starting a first level campaign (but the DM is letting us use drow, with the LA, so we need mucho xp to level up). I need some way to use a drow sorceror or wizard, and still own, if this is impossible just say so. Thanks in advance.

pawsplay

Hero
WarlockLord said:
I am starting a first level campaign (but the DM is letting us use drow, with the LA, so we need mucho xp to level up). I need some way to use a drow sorceror or wizard, and still own, if this is impossible just say so. Thanks in advance.

It's just two caster levels, and you get +2 Int out of the package. I don't see a huge issue... and starting in a first level campaign as a drow is a sweet deal if the other players are using standard races at 1st level.

Nadaka

First Post
WarlockLord said:

in my CS, drow are identical to elves with the following trades.
lowlight -> 60ft darkvision
rapier, longsword, bow proficiency -> whip, scimitar, crossbow:all.
Elven stigma as world shattering insane wizards -> Drow stigma as assassins and followers of a death god

marune

First Post
In my last long lasting campaign, a player played a +2 LA Drow Wizard, she was a bit underpowered and I would say her biggest advantage was the 120' darkvision, not the SR.

I'm pretty sure none of those players would try again to do a + x LA spellcaster again.

Felon

First Post
Well, you gotta suck up the LA if you want to be a drow. There's nothing that lets you just blow that off. You could, however, take a look at the drow paragon class in Unearthed Arcana, which provides caster level progression along with other improvements.

Another option is to go with half-elf, and call your elf half drow. That's what they its officially done in FR.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Ask your DM if you can use the Drow Racial Class for handling the level-adjusted Drow race found here on the WotC website under the Savage Progression articles. A great series of articles on how to handle templates and level-adjusted races in a campaign. With the Drow class you start off as a +0 Drow and you then may advance in racial levels if you choose in order to become a full drow with all of their full +2 LA abilities.

So to play an effective +0 LA Drow wizard you'd just have to be alot less...Drowy. Maybe it's all that arcane study coupled with a spurning of general Drow society, who knows. Drow Commoners are suppose to have relatively lesser abilities as opposed to Drow nobility. Makes sense to have the lesser +0 and +1 LA versions of Drow IMHO.

Remove ads