best free homebrew setting campaign

Turanil

First Post
See the links in my sig.

I can't say what would be the best setting for you though...

My preference goes to well detailed settings. As such, I do like Farland (for d20), Heptovania (no specific game sytem), Khoras (no game system at all), and Santharia. Otherwise, I much like Amethyst for its interesting premises mixing both d20 M and D&D.

Last edited:

vodacce

First Post
I don't like generic vanilla fantasy setting.
This is my opinion of the Classic AD&D setting (Please no flamewar it's only my personal opinion for describe my idea of good setting):
Forgotten realms 5 I like the secret societes but I don' t like the very vanilla setting
Dragonlance:6 vanilla setting but very epic, i love the characters
Ravenloft 8 (setting with a flavour and marvelous characters)
Planescape 8 (marvelous setting)
Al qadim 6.5 (I love shair's and I love the adventures that I can create in this setting)
Greyhavk 4 ( I'm sorry but this setting is very boring for me)
Birthright 7 (I like it. Classic setting with a twist)

Turanil

First Post
vodacce said:
I don't like generic vanilla fantasy setting.
As such I would suggest Amethyst (extremely original), Eyru (Celtic), Farland (demons representing the 7 sins ruling the land), Palaestra (Byzance against Faery), Urbis (industrial magic fantasy seting), and Virtual Verduria (original setting). See the links in my sig (see above).

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Hope this doesn't turn into a threadjack...

Gotta put my plug in for Midnight even though it isn't a homebrew.

A lot of people compare it to Tolkien but I personally see a closer similarity to Star Wars episodes 4-6. The part of the Emperor would be played by Izrador and each of the Night Kings would be a "Darth Vader". The Orks make perfect Stormtroopers in that typically they are better equipped than the PC's though are obviously inferior in quality. With the help of the Astiraxes the Legates can "Sense a Presence in the Force" whenever a PC Channeller casts a spell nearby.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Calico_Jack73 said:
Hope this doesn't turn into a threadjack...

Gotta put my plug in for Midnight even though it isn't a homebrew.

A lot of people compare it to Tolkien but I personally see a closer similarity to Star Wars episodes 4-6. The part of the Emperor would be played by Izrador and each of the Night Kings would be a "Darth Vader". The Orks make perfect Stormtroopers in that typically they are better equipped than the PC's though are obviously inferior in quality. With the help of the Astiraxes the Legates can "Sense a Presence in the Force" whenever a PC Channeller casts a spell nearby.

Can't see that, really (though the time between Episodes 3 and 4 might be more plausible). There's a sense in the movies that though the times are grim, the Rebellion can win this war, while the rebels in Midnight have for the most part given up their hope of victory and only fight because they have nowhere to run.

And orcs in Midnight are nasty, and a fight with them will hurt you - while Star Wars stormtrooper only exist to be killed in a variety of interesting ways.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Turanil said:
As such I would suggest Amethyst (extremely original)

Great thematically, I agree, but the mechanical aspects seemed to be rather poorly executed (i.e., they weren't very cohesive). I've toyed with using True20 to run an Amethyst campaign, if only so I'm using one rule set, rather than minicing D&D and d20 Modern.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Okay, gratuitous plug :eek: for

http://www.creativeconclave.co.uk

although I'm in the process of updating and moving stuff from the old site

http://www.splendour.freeservers.com

where you'll find more detail.

It's pretty far from vanilla fantasy (no elves, dwarves, etc.) leaning more towards cultural influences outside of Europe and the assumption that the world works due to mythological cosmic forces, not science.

The older stuff is systemless, but we've been working on making it d20 compatible (to be honest it's not the ideal system - perhaps True20 is better for the setting or some OGL chimaera).

Non-pimping, Agyris has a decently original flavour. Khoras is pretty good but perhaps a little on the vanilla side. I have a fondness for Bostonia, but it's a pity that they seem to be geared towards their homebrew system.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases