Armor/Weapon Options and Unique Armor/Weapons

atomn

Explorer
Can you add on an armor/weapon option to a unique armor/weapon? For example, could you create Devilhusk armor with the Halfweight option on it? Thanks!

Dross

Explorer
atomn said:
Can you add on an armor/weapon option to a unique armor/weapon? For example, could you create Devilhusk armor with the Halfweight option on it? Thanks!

Other than DM veto, I don't see why not in general. IMHO some things thematically should not go together however (such as flaming on a Trident of Fish Command).

The tricky part is figuring out the total "+" of the item to accurately price the upgrade.

atomn

Explorer
Dross said:
The tricky part is figuring out the total "+" of the item to accurately price the upgrade.

Yeah, that's what was throwing me. I couldn't figure out what the + of the unique item was. Thanks for the response!

EyeontheMountain

First Post
I try to figure out its abilities as a % of the item without the origional abilities.

So for example celestial armor costs 22,400 and a regular +3 mithril chainmail would be 13,300. So a 60% increase.

Thus a Celestial +5 mithril full plate (usually 36,650) would cost 58,640.

It is a bit expensive, but one workaround.

JonnyFive

First Post
another way you can look at it is how much the abilitys cost. in the case of the celestial armor, the diffrence between it and the +3 mithiral chain is 9100gp. given that there are abilities in the DMG that just add straight cost, it wouldn't be to far of a streach to say that the special abilities of celestial armor are worth 9100gp.this is of corse my take on this particular subject :p

atomn

Explorer
Heh, those were great suggestions but I ran into a snag when checking it. I wanted to get the Devilhusk armor (+5 Hide armor from a Barbed Devil, on a successful Grapple check the barbs do 3d8 + 1 1/2 Str. damage) and apply Halfweight (this armor is treated as Light armor) to it. The snag is that +5 Hide armor costs 25,000 gp and Devilhusk costs 16,655 gp! Would you just take the base Devilhusk cost and add the Halfweight cost (+3 equivalence, or 9,000 gp), for 25,655gp?

MarkB

Legend
atomn said:
Heh, those were great suggestions but I ran into a snag when checking it. I wanted to get the Devilhusk armor (+5 Hide armor from a Barbed Devil, on a successful Grapple check the barbs do 3d8 + 1 1/2 Str. damage) and apply Halfweight (this armor is treated as Light armor) to it. The snag is that +5 Hide armor costs 25,000 gp and Devilhusk costs 16,655 gp!
Is there an alignment restriction on that armour? It may account for the price reduction (though I never did find those guidelines very reasonable).

atomn

Explorer
I don't have the book in front of me right now, so I'm not sure if there's an alignment restriction or not. But it is from the Book of Exalted Deeds, so maybe there's a good restriction to it.

JonnyFive

First Post
atomn said:
Heh, those were great suggestions but I ran into a snag when checking it. I wanted to get the Devilhusk armor (+5 Hide armor from a Barbed Devil, on a successful Grapple check the barbs do 3d8 + 1 1/2 Str. damage) and apply Halfweight (this armor is treated as Light armor) to it. The snag is that +5 Hide armor costs 25,000 gp and Devilhusk costs 16,655 gp! Would you just take the base Devilhusk cost and add the Halfweight cost (+3 equivalence, or 9,000 gp), for 25,655gp?

actualy the price on devilhust armor is 33,165gp - it costs 16,655gp and 1320xp to make :p
so the price for your lovely barbs is 8k, corse considering thats it is made from the skin of the barbed devil, its probably just the material cost and the side effect is the damage :p

Remove ads