DM Prep Work: The work involved with NPCs

Calico_Jack73

First Post
How much work do you put into creating a particular monster or npc? I've recently embraced Castles & Crusades as feats and skills don't exist in that system so NPC generation time has become greatly reduced. However, try finding a group that plays or is willing to play C&C.

How many of you DM's out there actually assign skill points to an NPC? How many of you just fudge it and make a on-the-fly ruling on how many skill ranks in a certain skill a NPC has?

Also, do any of you have any other tips on decreasing the amount of prep time D&D 3.5 takes?

Crothian

First Post
NPCs are little more then a name and personality. The stats are not all that important and are very easy to do on the fly.

pogre

Legend
I use NPC Designer. It is highly customizable and can crank out NPCs in less than a couple of minutes. It will also make stat blocks in almost any format you want, although I tend to use the default DMGII version. It really has made adventure writing a lot more fun for me.

deltadave

First Post
I use npc designer as well for most npc's and pcgen for major personalities that are going to have recurring roles in the game.

jcfiala

Explorer
Calico_Jack73 said:
How many of you DM's out there actually assign skill points to an NPC? How many of you just fudge it and make a on-the-fly ruling on how many skill ranks in a certain skill a NPC has?

Also, do any of you have any other tips on decreasing the amount of prep time D&D 3.5 takes?

Most of my NPCs don't have stats - just a name and a general idea of who they are. If I need to make up an npc I've used programs in the past, but in the future I think I might use the quick character creation system in the back of the PHBII.

Psion

Adventurer
I only put the detail where it's needed. I don't sweat the details on npcs you will only meet once. I don't sweat the craft skill of a NPC who will never make a craft roll etc. I usually guess modifier of level + 5 (ranks = level+3, assume +2 stat bonus) for the NPCs best skill if needed, other skills some fraction of that.

I use the full blown creation rules when the detail is needed.

Of course, this is one reason that Spycraft 2.0 works so well for me.

the Jester

Legend
Depends on the npc. For major npcs that I expect the pcs to fight, I usually stat them out fully, but when I am short on time I'll sometimes leave some 'blanks'.

Kormydigar

First Post
I have a few pages of "stock" stats of NPC's of various classes and levels. I keep the stat list handy for on-the-fly encounters. I just note the name, some roleplaying notes, and rough estimate of class and level. For specific designed encounters I will fully stat out the NPC's.

Henry

Autoexreginated
For most Stock NPC's, I assume that related trade skill = their level. For NPC's that are best at what they do, skill bonus = level +5. For any other skill not related to daily life, I assume it's = 1/2 level. These figures come very close to what the final fibure would be, varying only within a point or two by the core rules, especially below 10th level.

Stalker0

Legend
I never do skills unless they are critical skills, like spot or listen if there's an ambush, etc. Lately, I've been statting up npcs to the hilt, but it takes so much time I think I will start cutting back.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases