Goodman's The Adventure Begins: Any Buzz?

Psion

Adventurer
Hey all,

I am starting a new campaign soon for beginners. I was wondering if anyone has The Adventure Begins by Goodman Games and could comment on any of the contents.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
I have the book, and I can comment on it's usefulness to beginners. It contains 20 first-level adventures, all scalable in some fashion up to level 3 or so (so you would utility from at least 3 or 4 of the adventures before your party moved on to higher levels).

Each adventure is about 12-15 pages long. Each one is written with a springboard efect in mind as if it's the first adventure you're opening the campaign with helping with the "party glue" effect. Each one comes with a map and a few pieces of art to show the players when they reach key locations.

I ran the first adventure, "tower of the black pearl" for my group as their glue in starting the Mysteries of the Moonsea campaign I began a couple of months back. The group loved it. I had a bunch of old salts for players and they totally caught the "first edition feel" this module leant to them. I had fun running it, too, very well done.

The others are also quite good with intriguing storylines. As stated, each has an opening hook to bring the party together, plus others if the party is already firmly established. Also, many leave plenty of answered questions that the DM can use to springboard to further adventures very easily or give them long-standing ideas for the campaign.

They're written exactly in the DCC style/template so if you have any others in the series, you know how that works. Each one provides a list of the encounters, they're type and CR. There's stat blocks provided in the adventure at the place you meet the thing, with relatively few (if any) repeaters taking up space. Aslo, each makes the PCs seem important, as they should, but what I mean by that is they provide good storylines behind the villian making them larger then life, even if they themselves are just CR 3 or 4 themselves.

Hope that helped!

-DM Jeff

Psion

Adventurer
Thanks jeff, though in the short time the post languished, I went ahead of nabbed the download. :)

Looks decent, though I am debating whether to use an adventure from herein or to make a revamped Keep on the Borderland adventure form the Cavern of Chaos Map by 0one Games.

Treebore

First Post
Option B. Don't get me wrong, I think having DCC 29 in your gaming library is a good idea, but nothing beats redoing the good old Keep.

Psion

Adventurer
I'm already leaning towards running Old Feodol's basement in The Adventure Begins. The PCs are a rogue and a druid... sort of ideal for the setup.

bento

Explorer
I was talking with some players in the university gaming group I play with about how to develop new GMs.

Besides playing often, I thought having a copy of "The Adventure Begins" in our library would be a great way for budding GMs to cut their teeth on.

Reading how adventures are designed, and making them run a couple, would help them understand many of the components necessary for an enjoyable game!

Akrasia

Procrastinator
I agree with everything DM_Jeff said. It is a worthwhile book to have. There are a lot of good adventure ideas to be found in it, even if you only use a few of the adventures themselves.

Psion said:
I'm already leaning towards running Old Feodol's basement in The Adventure Begins. The PCs are a rogue and a druid... sort of ideal for the setup.

That's a pretty good one. If you're running some urban adventures at the beginning, following up with 'Lair of the While Salamander' could be fun.

johnsemlak

First Post
DM_Jeff said:
I have the book, and I can comment on it's usefulness to beginners. It contains 20 first-level adventures, all scalable in some fashion up to level 3 or so (so you would utility from at least 3 or 4 of the adventures before your party moved on to higher levels).
Are the all set (and placed) in the DCC Known World setting?

I'm currently waiting for the book to cross the Pacific and make its way to Australia. Judging by the positive comments and DM Jeff's summary I'm glad I bought it.

Olaf the Stout

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases