Wherefore art thou, otyugh?

I know that the otyugh is from 1E--I used it more than once, back in the day. But does anyone know specifically when it first appeared? Which product and, more importantly, the date that product was published?

I have a vague theory about the inspiration for the otyugh being the dianoga from the trash compactor in Star Wars, and I'd like to know if the chronology holds. :)

Hmm...

I don't know the publishing schedules from back in the day, but that puts it awfully close. May just be congruent idea evolution, after all.

Ah, well. It was a thought. ;)

sjmiller

Explorer
Just to play the "ultra-geek" card, you do realize that your thread title is asking "Why are you otyugh?" Just thought I would bring that up.

Kishin

First Post
sjmiller said:
Just to play the "ultra-geek" card, you do realize that your thread title is asking "Why are you otyugh?" Just thought I would bring that up.

I dunno, I think this an equally pressing question to that of the Otyugh's original location.
;)

Glyfair

Explorer
Delta said:
It was in the 1E Monster Manual, (c) 1977.

Plus, the neo-otyugh appears in the 1E MM as well. If Star Wars was the basis, I wonder why the two versions (which in 3E is just an advanced Otyugh).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
trancejeremy said:
I always thought it might be inspired by Oscar the Grouch of seasame street fame...

I recently used an otyugh as the mastermind controlling a city wererat guild. She lives under the city dump, and acts as an 'information broker' - her spies gather all sorts of tidbits and trivia from around the city, which she exchanges for other useful information with those seeking knowledge.

Naturally, she goes by 'Marjory', and those seeking audience are vetted by her two kobold wererat lieutenants, Philo and Gunge...

(All of this sprang from one line in the Monster Manual... 'Otyughs speak Common'...)

-Hyp.

Remove ads