A Good WW2 Shooter

DonTadow

First Post
A few months ago I caught my dad in one of his secret obessions. Playing a WW2 shooter game over the internet. It was a farely old shooter with little graphics and I believe it was shareware. I want to get him something a bit more upgraded for christmas but FPS are a genre of games I really don't keep track of.

I am looking for a game that is fairely simple as far as controls, not too bloody (blood's ok but i my dad probably doesnt want to see entrails), and fun. Any suggestions?

DonTadow

First Post
KenM said:
If he likes to play online, Battlefield 1942.
I guess with their popularlity I was under the assumption that both call of duty and battlfield 1942 had complicated controls. Essentially I need something where shooting and moving is the basic functions.

Neo

Explorer
DonTadow said:
I guess with their popularlity I was under the assumption that both call of duty and battlfield 1942 had complicated controls. Essentially I need something where shooting and moving is the basic functions.

Ive no experience with BF 1942 so I cant comment on its controls, but Call of Duties controls are a breeze arrow keys to move, separate key to crouch/crawl and jump, mouse lets you look around freestyle and both mouse buttons activate primary and secondary fire modes of any weapon used. The number keys switch between weapons... simplicity itself.

Lazybones

Adventurer
I agree with Call of Duty as the best choice. It runs on rails but has a lot of nice scripted sequences, and it's not too hard to master (and IIRC it has low difficulty levels). I think you can get the original for about $15.

On a random tangent, whatever game you get him give him the additional gift of having downloaded the latest patch and burned it to CD so he won't have to waste as much time updating it before trying to play. Just seems like a nice added gesture. :)

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
I was a fan of Red Orchestra. Eastern front, little more complicated by the lack of a crosshair, but it was definately fun (after a few games to figure out the play style). I'm not sure how many people still play it, but it was good.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault's controls are pretty much like DOOM's, if I remember correctly: Easy as can be.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
All of the first person shooters (MoH, CoD) use the standard FPS shooter controls, with some minor variations. Call of Duty is pretty cool, especially the first one which has a D-Day scenario right out of Saving Private Ryan, and a Siege of Stalingrad series of levels which are also pretty amazing. Call of Duty 2 is really pretty, but none of the levels have been quite as impressive - I'm playing thorugh it right now.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases