Ptolus: The Legend of Longcoat

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
bissichan said:
Average amount of gold for our characters, right? Can I use the 125 gold listed on the PHB for my prospective rogue?
Yep.

Tailspinner said:
What about a non-standard race possibility? Not thinking of anything with an ECL here. But a monster character that has been rehabilitated by the "Brotherhood of Redemption".
Not this time out. Next time around -- if there is a next time around -- I'll be a lot more "wahoo" in the choices offered to players.

Erekose13

Explorer
For my cleric of Tuen that I've almost got completed, I'd like to get her a dragon pistol. The only way I can afford it under the 125gp for clerics is to make it with craft skills. I am willing to put every thing I can into being able to make it (race, domain selection, skill points, and even skill focus(craft firearms). Is this okay? With that I can get a dragon pistol for 83gp and shot for 10gp. It doesn't leave much room for other stuff but fits the character well.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Erekose13 said:
For my cleric of Tuen that I've almost got completed, I'd like to get her a dragon pistol. The only way I can afford it under the 125gp for clerics is to make it with craft skills. I am willing to put every thing I can into being able to make it (race, domain selection, skill points, and even skill focus(craft firearms). Is this okay? With that I can get a dragon pistol for 83gp and shot for 10gp. It doesn't leave much room for other stuff but fits the character well.
Yep, that works great. Glad to see a technologist running around in a Ptolus game. :D

Dave Turner

First Post
Whizbang said:
For both the main party and the alternates, I will be choosing one fighter, one cleric, one wizard or sorcerer, one rogue and two additional characters of other classes. (Sorry, no urban rangers or urban druids this time around.)
To be clear, does this mean that the additional two characters can't be one of the core four classes mentioned in the first part of the sentence? Your sentence can be read to say that you'll be selecting a fighter, cleric, arcane caster, and rogue, plus two other characters drawn from bards, barbarians, druids (non-urban), rangers (non-urban), monks, and paladins.

Care to clarify? :)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
They can be of any PHB class. It could be a duplicate, or it could be other classes. I'd like to have more than four classes represented in the party, though: If there's, say, a paladin submission that's as good as another rogue submission, I'd probably give it to the paladin (or whatever), just for the sake of variety.

Mileron

First Post
(Spot previously stolen, now returned)

Yaztromo Denmel
[sblock]
Code:
Name: Yaztromo Denmel  ("Call me Yaz.")
Class: Sorcerer 1 	
Race: Human
Region of Origin: Midtown area, near Potions & Elixirs, Ptolus
Size: M
Alignment: NG
Deity: (none yet)

Str: 09 -1 (01p.)	Level: 1	XP: 0
Dex: 14 +2 (06p.)	BAB: +0		HP: 05 (1d4+1)
Con: 12 +1 (04p.)	Grapple: -1	
Int: 13 +1 (05p.)	Speed: 30'	
Wis: 09 -1 (01p.)	Init: +2	
Cha: 16 +3 (08p.)	ACP: -0		

Base	Armor	Shld	Dex	Size	Nat	Misc	Total
Armor:	10	+0	+0	+2	+0	+0	+0	12
Touch:	12	Flatfooted: 10

Total	Base	Mod	Misc
Fort:	+2	+0	+2	--
Ref:	+1	+0	+1	--
Will:	+2	+2	+0	--

Weapon			Attack	Damage	Critical	Range
Shortspear		-1	1d8	x3		20'
Sling + Bullet		+2	1d4	x2		50'
Notes: Ammo Pouch has 10 bullets

Languages: Common

Abilities: 
Human: 
+1 Feat at 1st Level
+4 Skill Points at 1st Level
+1 Skill Point at each level

Sorcerer:
Free Familiar:  'Edna', a white-footed caramel-colored Ferret

Feats:  Skill Focus:  Profession: Apothecary, Combat Casting

Spells prepared (Save DC 10 + spell level + Cha Mod): 
Spellbook/Spells Known:
	0 - Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light, Mage Hand
	1st - Mage Armor, Shocking Grasp

Skill Points: 16	Max Ranks: 4/2
Skills		Total	Ranks	Mod 	Misc
Alchemy         	+3	2	+1	--
Concentration		+4	4	+0	--
Diplomacy		+8	2	+4	--
Knowledge (alchemy)	+4	3	+1	--
Profession (apothecary)	+4	2	+2	+2 Skill Focus
Spellcraft		+4	3	+1	--

Notes: 

Equipment:		Cost	Weight
Shortspear		2gp	5lb
Sling   		-gp	0lb
Sling Bullets		1sp	5lb
Artisan outfit		1gp	4lb

Backpack		2gp	2lb
Candles (5)		5sp	*
Waterskin		1gp	4lb
Rations (3 days)	1.5gp	1.5lb
Bedroll			1sp	5lb
Sack			1sp	.5lb
Flint & Steel		1gp	*
Component Pouch		5gp	1lb
Ammo Pouch		1gp	1lb
Change of Clothes	1gp	3lb
Ink (secure, wrapped tightly in clothes)
			8gp	0lb
Inkpen	(3)		3sp	0lb
Empty Vials (3)		3gp	.3lb

Total Weight:	31lb	Money: 9gp 80sp 0cp

Lgt	Med	Hvy	Lift	Push
Max Weight:	30	60	90	180	450

Height: 5'6" 
Weight: 160lbs
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Brown
Skin: Pale
[/sblock]
Background
[sblock]Yaztromo is the son of a wizard and an apothecary/alchemist. His father 'left' when he was quite young, leaving his mother to raise their boy alone in Ptolus. He discovered early on his propensity for magic - not long after his tenth summer - but it was quite a few years before he was able to develop control, let alone have his mother afford to have him tutored by an old adventuring comrade. He picked up the alchemy and apothecary trade from his mother over the years and often assists her with brewing basic potions to keep their store supplied.

Around his twenty-first summer he received a package from his missing father, which included a small stipend and a spell scroll, intended to assist Yaz in acquiring his familiar.

His magical studies took a sabbatical when Yaz became enamored of a tavern maid down at the Docks... Until her grisly murder.[/sblock]
Appearance
[sblock]
Yaztromo stands straight for his average height, but not necessarily tall; he's not entirely confident in himself and has had a few too many run-ins with dwarven and gnomish merchant doorways to keep his nose too high in the air. His dark brown hair is constantly tousled, if combed. Intelligence sparkles in his chocolate brown eyes. A slight scar runs from the corner of his right eye, along his cheekbone, to just in front of his right ear (the product of an explosive potion gone awry.) His jaw isn't chiseled but rounded and plain. A slight twist of his nose could have been from walking into a door or a riot, but he choses not to draw attention to it.

Dressed in unremarkable clothes, he often can be seen wearing the leather apron his mother gave him as a gift - the one with his name embroidered on it - but takes it off outside of normal business hours.

His ferret familiar Edna can be usually found either on his shoulder, in one of his apron pockets, or in the crook of his arm. Unless she's out being curious. A seemingly typical ferret, her coloring almost matches Yaz' hair, in a deep caramel, but with spots and feet of white.[/sblock]

*waves to Graffites*

Btw, Erekose, I borrowed your character sheet layout. Quite efficient!

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
Maugra Ironcrane, Cleric of Tuen 1

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] [COLOR=SlateGray]Maugra Ironcrane[/COLOR]
[B]Class:[/B] Cleric 1 	
[B]Race:[/B] Grailwarden Dwarf
[B]Region of Origin:[/b] Temple District, Ptolus
[B]Size:[/B] M
[B]Gender:[/B] F
[B]Alignment:[/B] LG
[B]Deity:[/B] Tuen, Mother of Machines ([B]Domains:[/B] Community, Technology)

[B]Str:[/B] 09 -1 (01p.)	[B]Level:[/B] 1	[B]XP[/B]: 0
[B]Dex:[/B] 14 +2 (06p.)	[B]BAB:[/B] +0		[B]HP:[/B] 10 (1d8+2)
[B]Con:[/B] 14 +2 (04p.)	[B]Grapple:[/B] -1	
[B]Int:[/B] 14 +2 (06p.)	[B]Speed:[/B] 20'	
[B]Wis:[/B] 14 +2 (06p.)	[B]Init:[/B] +2	
[B]Cha:[/B] 08 -1 (02p.)	[B]ACP:[/B] -0		

[B]	Base	Armor	Shld	Dex	Size	Nat	Misc	Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]	10	+3	+1	+2	+0	+0	+0	16
[B]Touch:[/B]	11	[B]Flatfooted:[/B] 14

[B]	Total	Base	Mod	Misc[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]	+4	+2	+2	--
[B]Ref:[/B]	+2	+0	+2	--
[B]Will:[/B]	+4	+2	+2	--
[B]Notes:[/B] +2 save vs. poison, spells, spell-like effects

[B]Weapon			Attack	Damage	Critical	Range[/B]
Dragon Pistol		+2	1d12	x3	50'
Club			-1	1d6-1	x2	10'
[B]Notes:[/B] ammo: 10 shots, powder horn (10 shots)

[B]Languages:[/B] Common (Imperial), Dwarven, Palastani

[B]Abilities:[/B] 
Dwarf: 
20' move: not affected by medium or heavy load. 
Darkvision 60'. 
Stonecutting: +2 search checks to notice unusual stonework. 
Weapon familiarity: dwarven urgosh. 
Stability: +4 to resist bull-rush, trip. 
+2 Appraise, Craft stone or metal items. 
+2 Knowledge (machines), 
+2 Craft (machines, firearms, alchemy), 
+2 Profession (engineer).
Cleric:
Turn Undead
Civilization: +2 Gather Information in urban areas.
Technology: +2 Craft (machines, firearms), +2 Knowledge (machines), 
Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearms)

[B]Feats: [/B] Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearms), Skill Focus - Craft (firearms)

[B]Spells prepared[/B] (Save DC 12 + spell level): 
[B]Domains:[/B] Civilization, Technology
[B]Spellbook/Spells Known:[/B]
	0 - Assess Creature, Detect Magic, Detect Chaositech;
	1st - Sanctuary*, Bless, Protection from Chaos;

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 16	[B]Max Ranks:[/B] 4/2
[B]Skills		Total	Ranks	Mod 	Misc[/B]
Craft (firearms)	+13	4	+2	+2 Race, +2 Domain, +3 Feat
Heal			+6	4	+2	--
Craft (machines)	+12	4	+2	+2 Race, +2 Domain
Knowledge (religion)	+3	1	+2	--
Knowledge (machines)	+4	2	+2	--
Spellcraft		+3	1	+2	--
[B]Notes:[/B] 

[B]Equipment:		Cost	Weight[/B]
Dragon Pistol		83gp	2lb
Powder Horn		3.75gp	-lb
Bag of Shot		1.25gp	-lb
Hide Armor		15gp	25lb
Light Wooden Shield	3gp	5lb
Club			-gp	3lb
License to Own a Firearm 10gp	-lb
Artisans Tools		5gp	-lb
Wooden Holy Symbol	1gp	-lb

[B]Total Weight:[/B]35lb	[B]Money:[/B] 3gp 0sp 0cp

[B]		Lgt	Med	Hvy	Lift	Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]	30	60	90	180	450

[B]Age:[/B] 45
[B]Height:[/B] 4'3" 
[B]Weight:[/B] 160lbs
[B]Eyes:[/B] grey
[B]Hair:[/B] black
[B]Skin:[/B] fair

Appearance: Maugra is a typical Grailwarden dwarf. She has a dark black hair, though a few grey hairs have started to appear in recent years. She wears her hair tied back into a pony tail to keep it out of her work. She wears glasses though sometimes pushes them back up above her brow. The hide armor that she wears is a bit of an embarassment, one that she is quite self-conscious about. As a dock worker, her father made it for her, but she finds it rough and unattractive but wears it out of respect. At her side is her pistol which she carries with great pride, for it was with her own hands that she managed to create it.

Background: Maugra grew up in Ptolus. Her parents were originally from Prustan, but came west a long time ago. Her father has worked in the docks for quite a long time, trying to keep the crane operating despite the salt spray from the Bay of Ptolus. Early on, Maugra became enamoured with the dying technology of her father and many of his friends. After regular services at the Church of Tuen for much of her young life, Maugra decided that she wanted to pursue a career in the priesthood. With the Mother of Machines looking on she would emmerse herself in the world of machines, clockwork, and blackpowder. Having only recently become an acolyte, Maugra has returned to the docks, worried about her parents.

wizofice

First Post
I advise against choosing a familiar that can't leave the water.
Do you mean it should be able to swim and breathe underwater or just not be a cat or rat? In other words, would one of the nonpenguin avians be a good or bad idea?

Mileron

First Post
wizofice said:
Do you mean it should be able to swim and breathe underwater or just not be a cat or rat? In other words, would one of the nonpenguin avians be a good or bad idea?
He means that if it is a creature that cannot leave its natural environment of aqua-dom - ie fish, dolphin, manatee, skate, ray, shark, killer whale, etc, then it is a bad idea to bring it along and he doesn't want them.

It needs to be at least amphibious, is what I'm getting from it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases