Fighter build help

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
"Getting big" is one of the coolest ways to pump up your damage. Bigger weapons mean deader opponents! ;)

The best way to "get big" is have Powerful Build...because it stacks with every other way to do it. However, it is a racial ability. Thus the cost is changing your race to something like Half-Giant or Goliath, meaning you lose a Feat & some skill points and the no favored class ability. The upside is that lost feat is essentially replaced by a racial feature that is better than the Feat Monkey Grip, and you get other abilities besides.

The second best way to "get big" is to take some levels of Psychic Warrior to get their version of Enlarge (called Expansion, I believe)...because the PC can go up 2 levels in size, as opposed to +1 level in size, and you still get some Fighter bonus feats while qualifying for Psionic feats. IOW, you don't give up much to get this ability. (Note: I don't have the XPH, Complete Psionic or Hyperconscious in front of me- there may be other classes that get that power.) If you go this route, note that Half-Giants (mentioned above) have Psychic Warrior as their favored class.

The arcane version of Enlarge is next best, followed by Monkey Grip.

Another, more obscure way to pump up your damage, is to use a Heavy Weapon (see Magic of Faerun). Heavy Weapons are made with alchemically altered versions of gold or platinum, and they do more damage because of their increased mass. However, they require a Feat to use. Not really an option for low-level PCs because they can't afford the cost of Masterwork Platinum or Gold weapons, but worth considering.

In summation: With a good weapon & Powerful Build, you'll bump up your damage a size class. Add 2 levels of Expansion, and you'll be doing ridiculous amounts of damage. If that weapon is gold or platinum, your PC's base damage will be simply stupid.

Last edited:

Kalshane

First Post
nittanytbone said:
Check out the Frenzied Berserker PrC -- it is the highlight massive melee damage PrC, so good its considered broken by many.

It's broken right up until the point kill the last baddie and then cleave into the party cleric who had "Calm Emotions" prepped and drop him with a critical hit. Then it's just scary. :)(Happened in a friend's game. I have no idea what the cleric was doing anywhere near the FB when the foes were dwindling.)

Personally I don't allow them in my game just because I don't like having a class that has a real good chance of PC vs. PC fighting.

Felix

Explorer
Sorcerer 1 / Barbarian 1 / Fighter X

Pick Enlarge Person as one of your sorcerer spells. True Strike, Shield, and Protection From Evil are good spells to fill your other spell known.

So....

1. Barbarian 1.
Human Feat: Weapon Focus (Greatsword)
1st Level Feat: Combat Focus
2. Fighter 1
Fighter 1 Feat: Power Attack​
3. Fighter 2
Fighter 2 Feat: Combat Stability
3rd Level Feat: Cleave​
4. Sorcerer 1
5. Fighter 3
6. Fighter 4
Fighter 4 Feat: Weapon Specialization (Greatsword)
6th Level Feat: Leap Attack​
7. Fighter 5
8. Fighter 6
Fighter 6 Feat: Close-Quarters Fighting
9. Fighter 7
9th Level Feat: Extra Rage
10. Fighter 8
Fighter 8 Feat: Improved Critical (Greatsword)​

---

The feats in bold can easily be changed out at your preference. Oh, and wearing a Breastplate will give you 25% Spell Failure at a speed of 30, and a Chain Shirt will give you 20% with a speed of 40.

But hey, what's life without it's little chances, eh? :D

Of course, if you just want the party wizard to cast Enlarge Person on you, then substitute Barbarian 2 for Sorcerer 1, and you get Uncanny Dodge: not a bad thing at all.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
OTOH, if you mix 8 levels of Psychic Warrior with X levels of Fighter:

1) You won't lose any HP- they use d10 just like Fighters, and PW's and FTR's saves progress at the same rate. The BAB will suffer slightly.

2) You'll get 4 bonus feats over those 8 levels. If you mixed 8 PW levels with 8 FTR levels, your PC would have 9 feats, identical to a 16th level Ftr...and one more than the combo Felix points out. Additionally, the PC gains access to psionic feats, some of which are nasty- adding speed, letting you go up walls, adding dice to damage, making melee attacks into touch attacks, and so forth.

3) You'll be able to do the double-powered Expansion trick I mentioned above, and will have 2 other 1st level powers, 3 2nd level powers, and 2 3rd level powers. With those powers you could choose ones that boost your speed +10, call a weapon to your empty hand, give you DR, have Inertial Armor or Force Screen- the psionic analogoues to Mage Armor and Shield, respectively, boost your AoOs for short time, heal yourself, and so forth.

4) No arcane spell failure for your powers- you can wear whatever armor you want. Only a few psionic feats are affected by armor.

Angerland

First Post
ok now I guess I just need your help with rating the feats I have selected and making sure they are in a good order.
Human Fighter Ser Marten Du Brasfort, soldier
Pre-req's Str13+, Dex13+, Int 13+
1- Power attack, Weapon Focus (great sword), Cleave
2-Improved Sunder
3- Combat Expertise
4- Weapon Specialization (great Sword)
6- Leap attack, Combat Brute
8- Melee Weapon Mastery (Slashing)
9- Improved Critical
10- Great Cleave
12- Greater Weapon Focus and Greater Weapon Specialization (Great Sword)
14- Slashing Fury
15- Improved Trip
16- Combat reflexes
18- Weapon Supremecy, Power Critical
20- Robilar's Gambit

not too terrible I hope? I may try to get Robilar's gambit in sooner than 20th level, and I might drop Great Cleave all together

szilard

First Post
Thoughts:

Unless you have a really compelling reason, drop Improved Sunder (or move it back later in the list) - you likely won't be doing enough damage at 2nd level to sunder much with one hit - and its usefulness may be questionable. I'd pick up Improved Disarm instead, myself - particularly since you have the flail.

I'd try to pick up Combat Expertise and Improved Trip early (levels 2 and 3?). Improved Trip will be very useful against the sorts of opponents (humanoids and such) you are likely to encounter early on - it will be less useful against things significantly larger and stronger than you (though the feat will never become useless).

If your Dexterity is decent, I'd pick up Combat Reflexes no later than level 10 (maybe level 6).

-Stuart

Angerland

First Post
szilard said:
Thoughts:

Unless you have a really compelling reason, drop Improved Sunder (or move it back later in the list) - you likely won't be doing enough damage at 2nd level to sunder much with one hit - and its usefulness may be questionable. I'd pick up Improved Disarm instead, myself - particularly since you have the flail.

I'd try to pick up Combat Expertise and Improved Trip early (levels 2 and 3?). Improved Trip will be very useful against the sorts of opponents (humanoids and such) you are likely to encounter early on - it will be less useful against things significantly larger and stronger than you (though the feat will never become useless).

If your Dexterity is decent, I'd pick up Combat Reflexes no later than level 10 (maybe level 6).

-Stuart

Improved sunder is a Pre req for Combat brute. As far as early on trip attacks, I would hope having a flail would help with that. I appreciate the help, I will tool around with the feats and see if I can get them into a different order maybe.

was

Adventurer
I don't know if anyone else has suggested it, but I'd take iron will. The best combat skills in the world won't help you if a wizard takes you out with a simple enchantment spell

szilard

First Post
Angerland said:
Improved sunder is a Pre req for Combat brute. As far as early on trip attacks, I would hope having a flail would help with that. I appreciate the help, I will tool around with the feats and see if I can get them into a different order maybe.

Combat Brute isn't bad, but note that the damage multiplier boost only comes into play on the round after a charge.

Personally, I like Shock Trooper more. The dual-trip-thing could be very nice, especially if you've picked up Improved Trip. Of course, that requires Improved Bull Rush, so....

-Stuart

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases