Two Hobbit Films???

Ranger REG

Explorer
Source: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/061115i.php

Finally, Sloan confirmed MGM was in talks with Peter Jackson to make two movies based on J.R.R. Tolkein's "The Hobbit" though that is contingent on negotiations with New Line, which owns the right to produce "The Hobbit".

The first "Hobbit" will be a direct adaptation of "The Hobbit," and the second would be drawn from footnotes and source material connecting "The Hobbit" with "The Lord of the Rings".

paradox42

First Post
The only thing I can think of that the second movie might mean, aside perhaps from a biopic showing Bilbo's comfortable Shire life in the years between the books (which IMO would be boring and not really worth making a movie over), would be showing just where Gandalf went after the Beorning stay and why he was gone until after Smaug.

Will we be seeing the Necromancer on-screen, and all the Istari gathered to face the threat? If so- glee!!! :D

Prince Atom

Explorer
Yeah, just like the rumors I heard about George Lucas doing a TV show spanning the time between the two groups of Star Wars movies. I thought Luke's life on Tatooine was supposed to be really, really boring.

I really don't think that watching Bilbo grow fatter and argue with the Sackville-Bagginses over his silver collection is going to be all that interesting. Maybe some of the other characters will make cameos?

[Ponders]

TWK

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
The Whiner Knight said:
Yeah, just like the rumors I heard about George Lucas doing a TV show spanning the time between the two groups of Star Wars movies. I thought Luke's life on Tatooine was supposed to be really, really boring.

I really don't think that watching Bilbo grow fatter and argue with the Sackville-Bagginses over his silver collection is going to be all that interesting. Maybe some of the other characters will make cameos?

[Ponders]

TWK
Not to threadjack but I thought the Star Wars series was going be a bounty hunter show and not focus on the characters from the movies. It would be set between III and IV.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
O. M. G.

You know the LotR trilogy made a heap o' cash when they're seriously thinking about making a movie of the Silmarillion to keep the cash flowing. Never in my wildest dreams. Or Tolkien's, for that matter.

(Assuming that's what they mean by "source material.")

If Jackson is at the helm, then consider my money spent already...

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Eridanis said:
(Assuming that's what they mean by "source material.")

They're probably referring to the info on the White Council from Silmarillion. Its not a lot - basically info about Gandalf going to the Necromancer's lair. Personally I think they should avoid that and stick to the book, and make it one movie. But thats just me. As the LoTR movies progressed they deviated more and more from the novels, and to diminished effect, IMO.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It is also possible the "second" is a sort of extended version for DVD release. Not that you can't fill two movies with The Hobbit, but I don't know if the book has a good dramatic breakpoint in the middle like there was between the various LotR books.

A Silmarillion movie? Interesting concept, but all the F-named elves (Feanor, Finwe, Fingolfin, Forgotwhoelse) would certainly confuse the audience. I had to keep a bloody family tree on hand to keep them all straight. But, perhaps cut down to dealing only with Morgoth/Melkor and Sauron might be a small enough chunk to swallow as a movie.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
At this point I'd be happy if they could just decide on one film and start work on it. It's been several years now, and they still can't decide how to split up the money.

qstor

Adventurer
Kid Charlemagne said:
Personally I think they should avoid that and stick to the book, and make it one movie. But thats just me. As the LoTR movies progressed they deviated more and more from the novels, and to diminished effect, IMO.

I agree. I think the book can be made into one movie without a second film. The footnotes and stuff would be too esoteric for the ordinary movie go-er to create much interest. It makes it seems like Peter Jackson is a super duper Tolkien fan like some of us :)

But I'm happy with one movie.

Mike

Brakkart

First Post
Zaukrie said:
At this point I'd be happy if they could just decide on one film and start work on it. It's been several years now, and they still can't decide how to split up the money.

Well said. The actors aren't getting any younger, so if they plan on using the same people to play the same characters, the studios really need to get their asses in gear and get the show started.

Remove ads