D&D 4E Default setting for 4E?

What should the default setting for 4E be?

• Greyhawk

Votes: 180 33.8%
  • Forgotten Realms

Votes: 57 10.7%
  • Eberron

Votes: 36 6.8%
  • A brand-new setting designed specifically for 4E

Votes: 55 10.3%
  • Ressurect a discontinued setting or use a third-party OGL setting

Votes: 18 3.4%
  • There shouldn't be an assumed default setting for 4E

Votes: 187 35.1%

Dykstrav

Adventurer
All this talk going back and forth about what people want to see in 4E, when they'd buy it, et cetera... One thing that I'm particularly interested in is the default setting. Should 4E have one? What should it be? Why should it be that particular setting?

Aus_Snow

First Post
I think we've had this poll before. . .

But I don't mind, I'm a compulsive voter. ;) Nah, not really.

In my opinion, it shouldn't have a default setting. Maybe an implied setting, if they must. But that is as far as I would like them to go in that direction next time around.

Fat Daddy

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
In my opinion, it shouldn't have a default setting. Maybe an implied setting, if they must. But that is as far as I would like them to go in that direction next time around.
My sentiments exactly.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Despite that I'm a gaming veteran, I still believe that D&D should remain an entry-level game for new potential gaming hobbyists, unlike GURPS. It needs to have a campaign model (framework? Primer?) for the newbie DM to start building their game on.

WotC screwed it up the first time around -- and offering GH-specific prestige classes is not a good enough compensation -- so I'll be damned to let them shirk their responsibility for 4e.

To put it bluntly: No Greyhawk, No D&D.

Hussar

Legend
Honestly, I would prefer them to have default setting and an entirely new one at that.

I know, heresy and dumping all over the things of past and all that, but, really, how often can we retcon Greyhawk and other settings to fit them into new rules systems?

I would much rather see a setting that actually takes the game mechanics into account, which rules out GH and other settings.

OTOH, the actual GH content in 3e is pretty sparse in the core books. Besides god names, some proper nouns and a few odds an sods, there isn't much GH there, so, if that's the level of base setting that's proposed, then I'm pretty happy whatever the setting.

Aeric

Explorer
I voted Greyhawk. Not so much because Greyhawk is my favorite setting, but because it is the epitome of what D&D is to me.

It's always seemed weird to me that D&D was a "generic fantasy" game. Most games that aren't 100% generic (GURPS, HERO, etc.) have a built-in world/setting, and the rules reflect that world/setting.

I say 4th edition should either be 100% generic (making D&D essentially a D20 Fantasy sourcebook the way GURPS Fantasy is a sourcebook for GURPS) or have a single, well-defined setting (the Greyhawk Role-Playing Game).

I know it won't happen, there's too much tradition centered around the "generic fantasy" of D&D.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases