Is casting a spell with the Evil descriptor an Evil act?

Crothian

First Post
It's evil, that's why is says evil in the descriptor!! :D

Note that D&D has very black and white and often times illogical definitions of what is good and what is evil.

Aaron L

Hero
Crothian said:
It's evil, that's why is says evil in the descriptor!! :D

Note that D&D has very black and white and often times illogical definitions of what is good and what is evil.

What he said. If casting an Evil spell wasnt an Evil act, then there wouldnt be a point to having an Evil descriptor in the first place, would there?

That being said, casting one Evil spell wont automatically turn you Evil. But doing it a lot probably should. Summoning lots of demons should tend to corrupt ones soul a bit.

dog45

First Post
Well, in Ravenloft casting an Evil or Necromantic spell gets you a 1% per effective spell level chance of failing a powers check and starting down the path of corruption. For an Evil AND Necromantic spell, it's 2% per effective spell level.

Nareau

Explorer
Interesting. I thought this was RAW. But I can see why it's not. If a druid summons a Pixie to help slaughter all the children in an orphanage, I hardly think he's committing a good act.

Nareau

Crothian

First Post
Nareau said:
Interesting. I thought this was RAW. But I can see why it's not. If a druid summons a Pixie to help slaughter all the children in an orphanage, I hardly think he's committing a good act.

Nareau

Summoning the pixie is not evil. But having it do that is evil. On the other hand summoning a demon is evil. Having the demon build the orphage would not be. But that doesn't negate the fact that just summoning up a demon is evil.

Vegepygmy

First Post
Fat Daddy said:
If a caster casts a spell with the evil descriptor, is that an evil act?
It is when I'm the DM.

The "official answer" depends on what source you cite. There is authority for both claims that (1) yes, it is by definition an evil act and (2) no, it depends on the caster's intent.

Personally, I like the idea that there is a "taint" that attaches to one who dabbles in the dark arts and corrupts his soul, regardless of how pure his intentions may be. YMMV.

TheEvil

Explorer
Given what the RAW has to say on the subject, I am rather suprised that the opinions are not more balanced. Put me down for 'Not an Evil act'. I would keep an eye on them though....

gnfnrf

First Post
Sabathius42 said:
I was helping a fellow player the other day compile his Favored Soul spell choices onto a cheatsheet when I noticed that the spell Wave of Grief was EVIL. It seems kind of strange that a spell that makes you sad is EVIL but a spell that burns you alive (Flamestrike) is cool with everyone.

Killing people is not inherently evil. Obviously, or else most DnD adventurers would be out of a job. Making people sad is not inherently evil. Making people sad by channeling the dark powers of waves of grief IS inherently evil. Not necessarily because of its effect, but because of the nature of the magical energies involved.

I would say the actual result of a spell being used is what a GM should judge as good or evil, not the spell itself.

A high-level cleric raiding an orphanage and casting Holy Word (thus killing all the neutral folks in the building) is definatley not a GOOD act.

You have to balance the results and the means. A high level good cleric who deliberately kills innocents is committing an evil act, regardless of the mechanism.

A high level good cleric who defends innocents by killing evil creatures with an evil spell, however, is committing an evil act, because the very nature of the magic is evil, regardless of the effect. Actually, they're not because they can't cast the spell at all, but that just reinforces the point.

--
gnfnrf

Remove ads