Is casting a spell with the Evil descriptor an Evil act?

Crothian

First Post
Artoomis said:
Either way, I do not speculate on such things - it only tends to generate inappropriate personal-attack types of comments that Eric's Grandma would frown on.

I don't think it does that. I think knowing the intentions and the situation behind a question can really help get the question answered or at least give the discuss a nice and proper focus.

Artoomis

First Post
Crothian said:
I don't think it does that. I think knowing the intentions and the situation behind a question can really help get the question answered or at least give the discuss a nice and proper focus.

Sure it does - if you speculate. If the poster is nice enough to tell us why he/she wants to know somethiung, sure it helps.

See thw differnce? I refuse (generally) to specualte on such things - that leads to accusation of all kinds things the player may not be tying to do at all, and often can get less than friendly.

Crothian

First Post
Artoomis said:
See thw differnce? I refuse (generally) to specualte on such things - that leads to accusation of all kinds things the player may not be tying to do at all, and often can get less than friendly.

I like to think one can speculate with out being rude or accusations. And if there is a misunderstanding it can be pointed out and dealt with. It doesn't always happen this way, but it can.

Artoomis

First Post
Crothian said:
I like to think one can speculate with out being rude or accusations. And if there is a misunderstanding it can be pointed out and dealt with. It doesn't always happen this way, but it can.

It can, but often does not. Even in this very thread someone (who shall remain nameless) was wondering, is "somebody is trying to get away with something."

and advised. "Just suck it up and stop looking for rules-lawyery loopholes."

That's a pretty negative tone and is why I do not participate in such speculation.

I certainly have asked players to declare their intentions before, and likely will again, as it does make it easier to help them.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Crothian said:
Theoretically, yes. In practice, no. At least, it has not happened in the many years of the Internet's existence since Al Gore invented it. :p

isoChron

First Post
I always try to compare it to present real life situations.
Now there are several types of weapon / ammunition banned by the international community because the community thought they are evil, cruel, aiming at civilists, whatever.
Everybody can make a dum-dum bullet but it's evil.
Every mage can summon demons but it's evil.
See what I mean?

No matter what you do with a cruel tool, using it is the evil act in the first place.
That said I see that there are many different opinions about which spells are or should be evil. WotC just gave us a collection of some black and white spells but all falls apart if you try to look at all spells closer. Like the whole black/white evil/good alignment system. It's just an abstraction to keep the game going without the need to discuss about the alignment descriptor of every spell during a battle.

Ah, and I didn't mean alcohol or other lighter drugs in my previous post but some very heavy influencing substances like H or Sodiumpentatol or other truth serums. It was just a try to explain the authors point of view, not reflecting personal opinions. :D

Bye

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Particle_Man said:
Well the Book of Vile Darkness says this on [Evil] spells: "Tapping into evil power is an evil act in and of itself, no matter what the effects or the reason for using the power might be."

So using an [evil] spell is an evil act.

My position is that if the Book of Vile Darkness and Book of Exalted Deeds are in play, then casting a spell with the [Evil] descriptor is an evil act. As is failure to accept a surrender from someone who's broken his parole fifteen times already.

If those books are not in play, then the Evil descriptor tells us that a/ druids and clerics who are Good or have Good deities cannot cast the spell, and b/ clerics with the Evil domain cast the spell at +1 caster level, and c/ the spell will be flagged by a Detect Evil spell. That's about it. (And, of course, if someone's demonstrated that when they surrender, they don't really mean it, there's no binding compulsion to let them get away with it twice!)

As I read it, if the BoVD isn't on the table, then a Paladin/Sorcerer can cast Eyebite without losing his paladinhood. If the book's in play, he'd be advised not to try it

-Hyp.

werk

First Post
isoChron said:
Ah, and I didn't mean alcohol or other lighter drugs in my previous post but some very heavy influencing substances like H or Sodiumpentatol or other truth serums. It was just a try to explain the authors point of view, not reflecting personal opinions. :D

Bye

I thought that poison use was evil. If you group drugs as poisons, like D&D does, then you get drugs=evil regardless.

Alignment is very important, just not important enough to get rules to support it.

green slime

First Post
Crothian and I2K sum up my feelings.

Yes, it is an Evil act. Capital E. No lurking and trying to skive off.

Doing one single act doesn't mean you have an irredeemable stain upon your soul, though. It just means that: You did some act, some one thing, that made the world a more evil place.

Crothian

First Post
isoChron said:
I always try to compare it to present real life situations.

I'm not sure there is a real life situation of a greater divine force (god) that grants specific spells to his/her clerics daily. I don't think dum dum bullets comes close to being the same.

Remove ads