Doctor Who -- "The Impossible Planet"

PhoenixDarkDirk

First Post
The Doctor and Rose end up on a planet in stable orbit around a black hole, with writing the TARDIS can't translate.

This was pretty good. Some of the music reminded me of Firefly.

Crothian

First Post
It was half an episode so hard to judge on its own. I really figured the Doctor would at least say something about the Od, I never figured he would just ignore a race enslaved willing or not.

Richards

Legend
I thought the exact same thing about the "Firefly"-esque music.

This was a pretty cool episode, I thought. Toby was pretty creepy looking, standing out "in the radiance of the black sun," all covered in glyphs. And I loved the "he is awake" and "the beast will rise from the pit and lead an army against God" snatches coming from computer equipment and translation devices throughout the episode. Very creepy.

Next week should be another good episode.

Johnathan

horacethegrey

First Post
I though this was a great episode because of one thing, it was DAMN SCARY. All the subtle hints of some dark presence messing with the minds of the explorers, plus the atmospheric music and amazing set design, and viola. An episode that as frightening as it can be on prime time tv, without relying on blood and guts or adult bits (unlike say Torchwood ;) ).

Take for example, my favourite scene (SPOILERS AHEAD):

THE BEAST: Toby...
(Toby begins to turn around)
THE BEAST: DON'T LOOK AT ME...
TOBY: Dan?
THE BEAST: If you look at me you will die...

A very chilling and frightening scene, simply because we don't ever glimpse what it is that's speaking to Toby. It speaks to us of what is probably our greatest fear, that is, fear of the unknown. (SPOILERS END)

Anyway, great episode. And the conclusion, The Satan Pit, is just as good. :)

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
This one had me right up until the end. (Middle?) "Stop or I'll shot." "I meant it, stop or I'll shot." "Now look, I really mean it. Stop or I'll shoot." "No, really, I'm not kidding. Stop or I'll shoot." "Oops, too late!" Ok, nobody actually said that, but they may as well have.

And its not on next week. They're running a movie marathon all weekend, including Friday night.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
I loved this two-parter. One thing that really struck me about the series is its ability to do large-scale movie-esque epics on the one hand, and on the other intimate little numbers like Girl in the Fireplace and Love & Monsters (I know the latter isn't univerally popular but it really hit the spot for me). Great diversity and great scope.

glass

(he, him)
Mark Hope said:
Love & Monsters (I know the latter isn't univerally popular but it really hit the spot for me). Great diversity and great scope.
Which one was Love & Monsters?

EDIT: Never mind. Google has the answer.

glass.

sniffles

First Post
Crothian said:
It was half an episode so hard to judge on its own. I really figured the Doctor would at least say something about the Od, I never figured he would just ignore a race enslaved willing or not.
I think this version of the Doctor is a little harder than some of his past incarnations. He was also a bit preoccupied, what with trying to save the universe from a terrible horror and worrying about possibly being stuck on that isolated space station for the rest of his very very long life.

I was rather amused the other day to turn on 'The Mummy 2' on TNT and realize that the guy who played the captain in 'The Impossible Planet' played Izzy the balloon captain in that movie. :)

Remove ads