Looking for alternative Monk classes

DarkMask

First Post
I am curious if there are any Alternative Monk classes that are based around Monk but act differently? Like an advanced or just different style of Monk?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There are a lot of PrCls out there...or are you referring to base classes done by 3rd party publishers?

If so, the first that springs to mind is the Arcana Unearthed/Arcana Evolved Oathsworn.

There is also the Dragon Magazine Battledancer (reprinted in the DCv1). That one is more like a practitioner of Capoira.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Where the monk uses Wis as one of the key stats, the Battledancer uses Charisma instead of Wis.

They're a little more dependent upon their weapons, and Perform is one of their key skills. As I recall, they do get some form of Flurry, but their unarmed attacks are not as powerful as the core Monk.

Capoira, the martial arts style upon which the Battledancer is loosely based, arose in the Carribean, designed to be a "hidden" martial art for slaves. Many of the moves were also designed to be done while shackled, and because many of its moves resemble dance moves, it could practiced in plain view of the slaveholders. As I recall, there was even a capoirist in one of the fighting games (like Mortal Combat or Tekken).

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Wardo said:
Here's a pointer for those (like myself, until recently) who didn't know Unearthed Arcana was in the SRD:
Variant Classes

Technically, it's not in the SRD at all. It's on d20srd.org, and it was released as OGC, but it's not in the SRD and needs to be credited apart from it.

I have a variant monk class, the mystic, on my website and on the forums here somewhere if it would interest you:
http://rpg.crg4.com/classes.html#mystic
It's designed to be much more flexible and to allow unarmed attacks (using a feat-based approach) without being limited to it.

Felix

Explorer
Depending on what you want to do with the character, a Fighter can be built for unarmed fighting and grappling, though you won't have the dodge bonuses or mystical goodies that the Monk class gets.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Psychic Warriors make "better" martial artists than basic Fighters...they have nearly the same BAB, the same HD & saves, nearly as many Feats, and get access to Feats & Powers that make unarmed combat more fun.

But if you really think about it, there are ways to make almost any class into a decent unarmed combatant, even arcane spellcasters

For example, I believe there is a Metamagic feat that turns a spell into a touch spell- VERY handy for an unarmed combatant.

Remove ads