Goblin Quest (a review)

Goblin Quest a fantasy novel that's more like how my D&D games have gone than any other book I've read. The main character is a goblin named Jig, when adventurers invade his underground home he does what any goblin would do, sells out his clan and pleads for mercy.

The adventurers are made up of a dwarven male cleric, a elven female rogue, a human male fighter, and a human male sorcerer. The party enlists the nearsighted Jig to be their guide in the underdark as they search for an artifact so that the fighter can show his worth to his father (the king).

Along the way the goblin finds its faith, as the party does battle with a lich, an ancient dragon, hobgoblins, and each other.

Many a times I found myself laughing as the characters played out their part in the story and my memory of those same actions taken by the characters in the book were done at my gaming table at some point. The anal retentive mapping dwarf, the egotistical sorcerer, the I'm not evil I'm misunderstood rogue, and the holier than thou son of a nobleman.

I've shared the book with close friends and each of them can pull stories from their own gaming experiences and they are mirrored somewhere in this book. My favorite parts are when the goblin tries to emulate the "magic" of the dwarven cleric.

At it's core it is a book about finding the courage within yourself when you have no reason to ever look. At it's best it's humorous story any number of us have seen or been a part of at the gaming table.

It's an easy read, and a couple of my friends finished it in one night. That's not a knock to the book, the quicker I finish a book the more I liked it, and I finsihed this in a day and a half. The book provides an interesting view on where the sorcerer's powers come from and what is involved with worshiping a forgotten god.

I give it 4.5 out of 5, as I would have liked to have seen something more done with the dragon-kin than how it was left in the book. That rating is also based upon the old paperback cover with Jig standing behind a stalagtite (? the ones that grow from floor to roof) as opposed to the new version which you can see in the link above.

The author even has d20 stats for 2 of the new creatures in the book on his website here along with a "which character are you?" game.

Picked this up today and read it over about a 3-hour period. Lots of fun and quite entertaining. great quotes -- and poking fun at fantasy tropes & gaming -- are too numerous to mention, but I got a real kick out of this one:

"Don't worry about a lost finger," Darnak said gently. "Many an adventurer has lost a finger, or worse, and still gone on to accomplish great things. Have you heard the song of ... I forget his name. The little guy with nine fingers, from the middle continent. The one involved with that ring business a while back."

Remove ads