General Discussion Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyCool

First Post
Patlin said:
The crafting and profession skills ought to be fine. Note that the profession skill would cover the business aspects of the job, not the actual accomplishment of the tasks... it would be skills in making contact with people who want things stolen or people killed, that sort of thing.

Agreed on that, however a character can practice their Profession (with a check) and earn money doing it. That does make it difficult to justify your explanation. Although, if it isn't the Profession skill that covers what you describe, what skill is it? And, somewhat importantly, how would "nefarious" professions like these work with the job system, if at all?

Patlin

Explorer
Yes, I agree you can use the profession skill to make money even if your profession is "thief." I assume that would mean you were doing minor thieving jobs, not worthy of an adventure thread.

I was mostly pointing out you won't be able to substitue Profession(thievery) for some other rogue like skill, nor will you get a synergy bonus from it.

I'm very rusty on the job system, so I won't address that specifically. My next character is going to have ranks in Profession(sage) though, so I'm interested in the answer!

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
Yes, I agree you can use the profession skill to make money even if your profession is "thief." I assume that would mean you were doing minor thieving jobs, not worthy of an adventure thread.

I was mostly pointing out you won't be able to substitue Profession(thievery) for some other rogue like skill, nor will you get a synergy bonus from it.

I'm very rusty on the job system, so I won't address that specifically. My next character is going to have ranks in Profession(sage) though, so I'm interested in the answer!
Ehhh, what would Profession(Sage) cover that isn't in a Knowledge? I might instead run a Bard with the Bardic Sage variant in Unearthed Arcana who memorised ancient speeches instead of songs and call the Bardic Knowledge 'Sage Lore'

Patlin

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
Ehhh, what would Profession(Sage) cover that isn't in a Knowledge? I might instead run a Bard with the Bardic Sage variant in Unearthed Arcana who memorised ancient speeches instead of songs and call the Bardic Knowledge 'Sage Lore'

Nothing of use. The character also has ranks in a variety of knowledge skills... I had some leftover skill points and thought it might add flavor to say he answered other peoples questions for money when not adventuring.

Probably a waste of skill points, and I might reconsider, but that was the idea.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
Nothing of use. The character also has ranks in a variety of knowledge skills... I had some leftover skill points and thought it might add flavor to say he answered other peoples questions for money when not adventuring.

Probably a waste of skill points, and I might reconsider, but that was the idea.
Hmmm, I think under the current job system, you qualify for the 'Sage' job that is just what you described with just Knowledge skills and the tenacity to keep out of an adventure ;)

IcyCool

First Post
Patlin said:

Seems reasonable. I hadn't thought of that.

Patlin said:

Hm, I wasn't even thinking about that, but I certainly agree with you.

Patlin said:

Well, unless Profession(sage) is "nefarious", I'd say you have little to worry about. ;)

Perhaps a more generic catch-all skill for such things like Profession(Criminal).?

Patlin

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
Hmmm, I think under the current job system, you qualify for the 'Sage' job that is just what you described with just Knowledge skills and the tenacity to keep out of an adventure ;)

Is this not a complete list of aproved jobs?

APPRENTICE/ASSISTANT
CRAFTSMAN
LABORER
MAGECRAFTER
MERCHANT

I didn't see Sage in the list. Happy to reassign the skill points, though. ;)

Knight Otu

First Post
Patlin said:
Is this not a complete list of aproved jobs?

APPRENTICE/ASSISTANT
CRAFTSMAN
LABORER
MAGECRAFTER
MERCHANT

I didn't see Sage in the list. Happy to reassign the skill points, though. ;)
I believe it was at least proposed. I don't remember if it had been approved or not, though.

Velmont

First Post
The list of approved job is pretty slim, as the first step was to make the Job System approved. Many job have been forgotten as they havn,t been include in the starter pack.

I would easily see a job in the job system that depend on your rank in a Knowledge skill or you Sleight-of-Hand.

For Sleight-of-hand, I would have a worst income than what you could get with a profession. OOC reason: This skill is more usefull in adventure than a Profession skill. IC: You have to pay some people to not get caught ;)

Make a proposal for teh job you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases