stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. I [IC]

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
After a complete scouring of the pillar, Jarrith finds nothing that would suggest a fake compartment or other hidden structure. The pillar is a hard rock, in contrast to the more clay-like soil that surrounds it.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Tessa watched intently as the others continued their investigation of the ritual area. She stayed outside the circle, keeping a careful eye on the area, trying to stay alert for any signs of disturbance in the aura that the circle seemed to generate, any sense that their studies had activated or altered the patterns- though she wasn't sure she would recognize such signs in time. From time to time, she darted a careful glance back towards the entry to the cavern- while it would be an unpleasant surprise if the circle "awakened', it might be far worse for them to be so intent on their search that something managed to sneak up on them...

James Heard

Explorer
Janis continues to stare and ponder the puzzle while she replies.

" I think something is inside the pillar. It's old, but it's not natural and...things....seem to connect the circle here and... it makes my head hurt. If the symbol is inside then it has to be valuable, we're talking about something old enough that it might be of giant or dragon construction. On the other hand - something made a pretty convincing effort to make this look like the rest of this cave complex. I don't detect any residual abjuration magics, but on the other hand I'm not particularly keen on waking up the sorts of things that also might be hidden away under this thing."

"We should grab all the dragonshards. They're probably worth a fortune."

Janis sighs and rubs her eyes.

" I'm not sure exactly how we're supposed to get inside it, in any case. It could be that damaging the circle could disrupt the magic, or it could be that it's time for me to fly back town and see if any of the villagers have any mining experience."

Janis looks upwards at the ceiling.

" I don't want to be down here unprepared if the pillar is holding up the ruins above us and we make it go away somehow..."

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Jarrith shrugs. "Well the symbol has only been missing for a short period of time, all things considering. If this pillar and circle are that old, I don't see how or why the symbol would be brought here and then buried within the rock. Doesn't seem to make much sense... although I suppose anything is possible."

He stands up, and brushes off the dirt from his pants. "I do agree that removing the dragonshards is probably a smart move. Not so much for the financial aspect, but more just to hopefully prohibit whatever summoning this circle normally does. If you all are okay with it, we can start chiseling them out now."

stonegod

OOC: The shards elements appears to be marbled w/in the pillar; one would essentially have to destroy one to get the other (likely damaging the other in the process). What tools would you attempt to use?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Jarrith starts in on trying to remove the shards. However, while he was able to take out one easy enough with his improvised tools... most of the others are too well embedded. Without actually having a hammer, chisel or pick... taking all of them out is an impossibility.

"Huh. Well I'll be able to maybe take out a few... but if we wanted to clear this entire pillar... I'd either need go get some equipment or a dwarf down here."

He shakes his head. "I'm thinking we should just get out of here. The symbol isn't here. And I don't want to leave Daellin up there by himself for too long, even if he has the bear for company."

The Stalker walks back out of the circle through the slight force field.

James Heard

Explorer
" I don't like this. Part of me thinks that something like this, well it could explain many things about the nature of this land."

With that, Janis sighs and walks to go meet with her bear.

Who's mummy's wittle fuzzykins?

stonegod

Resolving to deal with the pillar latter, perhaps when they know where the missing Symbol of Ravenkind is, the group makes their way back to the ladder. The trapdoor is open, as as they come to the bottom of the shaft, they can hear the sounds of unearthly screams and moans in the night sky above! Realizing Daellin is in trouble, the party hustles up the ladder as quickly as they can.

Hearts pounding, they can do nothing as they hear the unnatural wails and Daellin's screams of anguish. Finally making it to the top, they can see a staggering Daellin wearily bring his bow to bear against a swirling mist of screaming faces! The tortured expression of the faces speak of undying torment and mind-numbing terror, and they seem to be directed entirely at the elf.

33545.jpg

As they see the ghostly horror through the intervening ruins, Tessa pales and stutters, "A... c-caller in darkness! Foul undead of tortured souls! Beware their ghostly insubstantialbility!"

Jannis' bear seems to have been driven off by the unnatural aura of the creature.

The Ecaterine Husk: Round 1
attachment.php

D: 20 35/35 [Significant ability damage]
A: 20 34/49
T: 14 35/35
C: 10 [lightly wounded]
J: 5 42/42
J: 4 21/31
P: 2 35/55

Map Key: A: Ashlyn, c: crocs, C: Screaming Heads, J: Jarrith, J: Janis, P: Perriwimple, T: Tessa.
Conditions: Moving through dense rubble (rocky-looking squares) cost 2 movement.

[Round 1 actions for all please]

Attachments

• I1-r1.jpg
    I1-r1.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 361

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
"Daellin!!!" Jarrith shouts... then his mind begins racing. Forward? Back? Attack? Hide? I dunno... I dunno. (First action dictated by DM)

[sblock=OOC: ] Heh heh... finally remembered about the 50/50 chance of charging/escaping this time. [/sblock]

pathfinderq1

First Post
Pale, and with her normal smile swept away by the terrifying realization of what was facing them, Tessa almost reflexively raised her wooden shield- but even the shelter of the sturdy wooden disc with its connection to her divine patrons brought her little comfort. She knew that horrid swirling form was a creature of horrible power- and she had already drawn heavily upon her divine favor that day.

Despite the strength of her faith, she felt a momentary pang of despair. And in that instant, she felt the rising of something else within her- the elemental power which suffused her soul surged forward, and she felt a rush of mad courage, even fury. While her divine energies might not be a match for such a being, she had other forces at her command- and while in most situations she was loathe to call upon those powers, her desperate fear of their enemy's might swayed her judgment for a critical moment, and the power of her dragonmark reached out as if with a mind of its own. She barely managed to raise her right hand, dropping her mace to the ground as she did so. Even as her outstretched fingers flicked towards their foe, a crackling lash of fire swirled down her arm and across the intervening distance. Even as the bolt left her hand, she felt the furious surge ebb, as if some of her own life energy had fueled the stroke, and the world seemed to waver momentarily...

OOC: Using her Lesser Aberrant Dragonmark power of Scorching Ray; ranged touch at +4, 4d6 fire damage (possible); she then needs to make a DC 10 Fort save to avoid being Dazed for a round- her Fort saves are at +7

Remove ads