stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. I [IC]

James Heard

Explorer
"This, of course, is the point where I refrain politely from saying, 'I told you so."

Edi, her mottled mount of distinctive appearance seemed to snort in agreement or disapproval or both, and the short clops of his powerful stubby legs moved in motion to propel the wizard forward. Ah, what a wonderful day it is...being right, she thought, humming the lilting tune of a Cyran jig quietly to herself as they continued.

OOC: Janis takes up a position somewhere in the middle. With her 13 AC and 32 hit points, she and Maraat should probably avoid sick people and strong winds

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
From the back of Sir Khensu's horse, Jarrith keeps leans out from both sides around the inquistor to get a look of the area around them. The dense fog catches his attention, as it seems odd that it should congregate so. "Huh... I wonder if this fog burns itself off during the high summer months? Awfully damp in the valley here. Probably keeps the trees and grasses looking green and virbrant all year round though."

From behind him, he hears Janis speak. "This, of course, is the point where I refrain politely from saying, 'I told you so'." Jarrith turns around in his saddle and smirks at the wizardess. "What's the matter, Janis? I'd think a woman named 'Stormhand' would welcome weather like this! Don't tell me you're afraid of a little fog and wind that sounds like moaning, my dear." This baiting and teasing between Janis and Jarrith has been a primary occurance between them for the past several years as they've worked together. Whether you would call this "sexual tension" or rather just Jarrith amusing himself by trying to ruffle Janis' feathers every time she gets all pessimistic or snooty is hard to tell.

Jarrith leaps off from the back of the horse and makes his way over to one of the boarded-up cottages. He approaches the front door and gives it a good wrap with his knuckles a couple times. "Hello! Anyone home? Knock, knock! Visitors to town looking for a place to stay for the evening! Hello!"

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
DEFCON 1 said:
Jarrith leaps off from the back of the horse and makes his way over to one of the boarded-up cottages. He approaches the front door and gives it a good wrap with his knuckles a couple times. "Hello! Anyone home? Knock, knock! Visitors to town looking for a place to stay for the evening! Hello!"
There is no sound other than silence. Glancing in a broken, boarded window reveals that the inside of the building, perhaps a former tenement, is empty, discarded bits of everyday lives scattered about the overturned furniture.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Turning from the window he was looking in, Jarrith shakes his head to the inquistor. "You said it. Well I don't want to call it quits after just a single house... I think we need to at the very least see if we can find the office of the Burgomaster, since he is at least one person who should be here... if that letter of his has any merit. If he's not here either, then I think we can suppose we might be on a wild goose chase."

Jarrith moves back to the road and begins walking further into town, expecting the others to follow behind on horse or foot.

GwydapLlew

First Post
The shifter looks at the others, the look of his broad face clearly looking for agreement among the rest of the travelers.

"Spread out a bit. I don't think losing sight of anyone is a good idea, but I don't want us in a bunch in case Something happens."

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The party spreads out, quietly following Daellin and Jarrith in the gloom. The streets are choked with mist, limiting vision to a few dozen feet. The building here, still on the edge of town, look abandoned, burned out, or barricated. Garbage litters the ground, and a carrion scent assaults you nose, almost overwhelming Sir Khensu's enhanced sense.

Ahead, an overturned haycart blocks the street. Everyone looks at each other, trying to determine their best move when, at the edge of the fog, behind the cart, Daellin just notices two hunched forms. He is about to call out to them when he notices the empty look in their hungry, hungry eyes.

Undead!

Street Ambush: Surprise Round
attachment.php
Daellin, his instinct always ready for trouble from the restless dead, is able to act. The others, disconcerted by the empty streets, find themselves surprised.
D: 9
Z: 3

Map Key: D: Daellin, d: Edi, h: Horse, h: Luminous, J: Jarrith, J: Janis, K: Khensu, M: Marot, S: Selase, Z: Unknown Undead
Conditions: Mist grants concealment to creatures 30' away.

Attachments

• E1-r0.png
    E1-r0.png
    233.5 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
OOC: I'm a little hazy about what you can do in a surprise round, and cover/concealment rules, so a few questions are in order here... 1) Does the cart grant cover? 2) Does Daellin's low-light vision help him here? 3) He'd like to dismount, draw his bow, move to within 30' (if he needs to do so to overcome concealment), and fire; I don't think I can do all of that in a surprise round, but how much of it can he manage?

Remove ads