Short solo encounter ideas for 1st level wanted

NewJeffCT

First Post
I want to pirate an old DM's idea of how to get a group together at the start of a campaign...

He basically started it out with very quick encounters for each individual PC - something difficult and dangerous, but obviously can't be too overwhelming for a 1st level PC. (the old DM called it his "James Bond" opening) It does not have to be actual fighting, but it should be an interesting encounter with possible combat - one PC ended up facing off with a bandit who had his dagger to the throat of a young woman...

Unfortunately, I'm drawing a blank on some good quick solo encounters for 1st level PCs - most likely, they will be straight from the PHB, so nothing too exotic.

Any ideas, or sources of ideas?

Thanks

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'd go with something that plays to their strengths and core concepts. The dwarf can be involved in a battle with a claimjumper in the mountains (NPC class version of his same stats -- a warrior instead of a fighter, for instance); the rogue can encounter another rogue trying to rob the same house at the same time as him, and the encounter turns violent; the wizard can have a summoned creature turn on him because of some vaguely worded mistake in the spellcasting (which also allows the summoned creature to stick around long enough for a full combat); the cleric can be locking up the chapel at night when she hears a recently interred worshipper clawing his way out of his coffin in the graveyard around back.

Of course, if you have future plans for the campaign, this would also be a good time to layer in enemies that will tie into all of that.

Above all, I'd use average hit points for the enemies and NPC classes where possible. This should be a challenge, but should still leave them ready to roll at the end.

I like this idea. Consider it stolen for a future game!

Dykstrav

Adventurer
One of the classic openers is to have a battle with your villain first thing. The villain achieves his goal (whether it's to kidnap a princess, destroy a good temple, whatever) and flees, leaving the characters to deal with his measly 1-HD underlings. The character's quest for vengeance is what gets the group together in the first place.

I've seriously seen this as an opener for no fewer than sixteen campaigns. It's a bit cliche in my opinion, but some DMs think it works.

So how do you intend to use these encounters? Just as flavor opener, or to actually get the first adventure rolling or what?

Prologues are always a good thing to get new characters together and it allows the DM to have a keener understanding of the individual strengths and weaknesses of the players... mind you those strengths tend to change with the group combos... anyhow it is a good way to put together plot elements.

Prologues can be a very good way to set up the hooks. The characters, if first level, will probably have a mentor and they can be sending them out to adventure. A parent/lord/minister/wizard who equips them with knowledge and sets them on a path... which just happens to entangle paths with the rest of the group.

I suggest start with a mini encounter... roll for intiative should be the first thing that happens. Fight against some minor creature that is in a position that plays to the strength of the character. By having a combat encounter and keeping the pace fast it should keep the prologues fast and to the point. Then follow it up with the mentor informing them what to do... which will intersect with the other characters paths.

Prologues can be either 1 on 1 or with the rest as observors. I prefer the 1 to 1 style, except for the last character where the rest of the players watch on. The last prologue normally goes in reverse order, a lot of scene setting, mentor stating what the character has to do, the character travels, then an escalating combat. Starts with a minor creature and then more come onto the scene while the other characters trickle in to. Having common enemies and missions and a fight on their hands should make them brothers in battle and help gel the group.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Papewaio of The Org said:
I suggest start with a mini encounter... roll for intiative should be the first thing that happens. Fight against some minor creature that is in a position that plays to the strength of the character. By having a combat encounter and keeping the pace fast it should keep the prologues fast and to the point. Then follow it up with the mentor informing them what to do... which will intersect with the other characters paths.

Thanks for some good points. Any ideas on what they should be encountering at 1st level? I don't want anything too exotic from some obscure tome - I'd prefer to stick with basic stuff.

This will likely be outdoors encounters, away from a city/town... but, not in any sort of dungeon. so, I'm sure some encounter will be some sort of highwayman.

The last encounter would be similar to as you described - the party mage returning to his mentor's cottage.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Dykstrav said:
One of the classic openers is to have a battle with your villain first thing. The villain achieves his goal (whether it's to kidnap a princess, destroy a good temple, whatever) and flees, leaving the characters to deal with his measly 1-HD underlings. The character's quest for vengeance is what gets the group together in the first place.

I've seriously seen this as an opener for no fewer than sixteen campaigns. It's a bit cliche in my opinion, but some DMs think it works.

So how do you intend to use these encounters? Just as flavor opener, or to actually get the first adventure rolling or what?

Good idea on the villain leaving a minion behind - I had thought something like that, but maybe not as the BBEG, but maybe a recurring thorn in the party's side: evil priest or rogue, or just a thug who is part of the BBEG's plans (thug steals something important, leaves his minion to deal with PC... but, the thug is really working for the BBEG)

Since it is 5 PCs, I was going to have 3-4 be "flavor" openers, but possibly introducing some NPCs that could balance the party out. The last encounter will be for the aforementioned mage that will hopefully lead to the party being drawn together.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Zombie chicken. Hit them with zombie chicken.

That's what I did in the first adventure in my last D&D campaign, and the looks on their faces were priceless. :D

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
One of the best campaigns I ever ran involved one-on-one games with each player in order to have them all meet when they had hit second level. It takes more investment in time but you may want to explore that as an option.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Low-level campaigns should start with a Will save (vs. some kind of fear aura).

Mid-level campaigns should start with a Reflex save (vs. a fireball for example).

High-level campaigns? Fort save, of course!

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads