Are grey elves actually grey?

First Post
I was thinking about the type of character I'd like to play when a campaign I'm going to be playing in starts up in a month or so and I decided on a rogue/mage (transmuter maybe). This will be interesting for me because it'll be the first time I've played anything other then a paladin or cleric! Anyhow, I sat down and brought up PCGen to put together an idea of how I envision this character and when I went to select race I noticed Grey Elves on the list. I'd never heard of them but noted the +2 Int, and +2 Dex so naturally I thought that this is exactly the type of race likely to become the type of character I was trying to make. And the -2 Str and -2 Con will give me some great roleplaying opportunities that I've never had before. Not knowing anything about them, though, I figured it'd be good to learn something about the race I might want to play. So, I flipped open the MM and looked them up, but I found the description rather lacking. It commented on the color of their eyes and hair and said they are the 'noblest of elves'. So, does anyone have any other info that would be useful to someone trying to roleplay a grey elf? And are they actually grey (doesn't matter, it just would be nice to know ? :) )? Thanks for all the help!

Aaron L

Hero
Grey elves come in two main color schemes. Most common is silver hair and amber colored eyes. Less common is pale golden hair and bright violet eyes (this coloring type is called faerie). Both types have pale white skin. They are more reclusive then high elves, and tend to live in either deep forest or high mountains. Almost all are wizards. They may be more arrogant than high elves.

Last edited:

alsih2o

First Post
lol!!! begs the question...are wood elves actually wood? and you can guess what i am thinking about high elves!!!

ah, i crack me up! valid question, just got me thinking in a twisted way :p

No, grey elves, wood elves and high elves all came from Tolkien. Tolkien's gray elves often wore grey cloaks, and thus their name. Ironically, grey elves and high elves in Tolkien were almost the reverse from each other in D&D. Why would high elves be the most common, normal type of elf, anyway?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Gray elves are the ultimate cocky elitist snobs amongst the general racist bigots that are elves.

They think of themselves as the 'noble.' Other elves are rustic hick-cousins, and other species are just nowhere near perfect.

They live in actual cities carved from the mountainside, and lack much of the hippie-attitude of other elves. They're not forest-dwelling tree-huggers as much as they are snobbish citadel-dwellers. They find wizardry to be elite, the path of power that few can truly handle. Wizards of other races are nessecarily going about it in a stumbling, inept manner...wizardry doesn't come natural to them, after all.

They are probably the palest of the elven races, tending to milky white skin, pale hair shades, and eyes in the royal shades of violet.

Because they live in the mountains, they're the elves that dwarves have had the most contact with...who can blame the dwarves for not liking elves wth these jerks to go on? Imagine living next to people who always had to act superior in every way to you...it could get on a fella's nerves when he might not see it that way...

First Post
LoL, wooden wood elves, I guess I never really thought about that. Although that does make for some new and interesting roleplaying possibilities with a high elf... Hmm... :D I think that would probably bug the DM. :)

Zappo

Explorer
alsih2o said:
lol!!! begs the question...are wood elves actually wood? and you can guess what i am thinking about high elves!!!
Lemme guess... you're thinking they are on average 2 meters tall?

alsih2o said:

ah, i crack me up! valid question, just got me thinking in a twisted way :p

----
alish2o : Twice in one afternoon your posts are making me laugh. I love it.

Color is great! I have PC races of Blue, White, Red, and Yellow in my home brew. And they can all interbreed, creating Green Half-Orcs, and Pink Half-Elves among others

alsih2o

First Post
i bow deeply and respectfully, if i can make one person here laugh, it is a minor payback to the 10 who provide info, insight and ideas for my game

Remove ads