Vin Diesel plays D&D

herald

First Post
I don't quite understand the phenomia of "Gamer-spotting". I guess it's nice to understand who is in our community, but I more than likely will not see VD at my gaming table than any other celebrity.

But to claim that VD is pandering to gamers...(brain starts to throb) I don't by it. There are way too many factors in the SK small success. The first of which was simply that the character was introduced in another movie.

Finding out that famous people game, it might be a warm fuzzy, but I haven't found a star that I'd hitch anyone famous too. After all, stars fall.

Henry

Autoexreginated
three thoughts:

1) Vin Diesel is probably using his hobby as a means to garner more fans. I see nothing wrong with this. We may have our cliques, but gamers stick together on the large scale.

2) Just because the D&D movie was sub-par, doesn't mean that the genre doesn't work. A good producer looks past what has failed before, to promote what is a good concept, and can be rewarded with success.

Fellowship of the Freakin' Ring, anyone? :)

3) I'm not wetting my pants, per se, but I think that anytime someone who plays RPG's is public about it, it brings a bit more respect to players as a whole. I don't want just Vin Diesel to publicize it; I want everyone who has EVER played to make it known. It's a fun, non-harmful, and community-enhancing pastime; why wouldn't we be proud to call it our hobby?

King_Stannis

Explorer
Wolfen Priest said:
....I've said before, and I'll reiterate that I don't think young people taking up PnP RPG's fit the dorky stereotype they once did. In fact, the biggest dork I ever knew said he thought D&D was "nerdy." Most "cool" people don't look at it that way anymore, IMHO.

you must live in a different world than most of us. otherwise i would already be "out of the gaming closet", so to speak.

sorry, still wayyyy too many stinky guys yelling monty python lines for my comfort. anything we can do to combat that stereotype should be embraced. i agree, there's not much more that can happen with this now. yes, he plays d&d, now what? it's not like he's going to break off a commercial for it on tv or anything.

still, it's another thing to point to with my non-gaming friends who might not understand or who have a skewed image of d&d. at least i can say to them: "well, if it's so geeky, why do people like vin diesel think it's still cool?". it may not resound with them, it just might.

mac1504

Explorer
Hannibal or Conan?

Has anyone heard that Vin is supposedly playing Conan's son in the Conan sequel that is rumoured to be in the works?

I also saw that Vin Diesel is working on a Hannibal movie where he will play the Carthaginian general.

Maybe that is what all this D&D "research" is for?

-mac1504

Wolfen Priest

First Post
Two things:

1.) It's true, if Vin has been a D&D player since he was 12, why is he suddenly now spending $800 on D&D stuff?

2.) If he is making a Conan sequel (which I for one will be excited about), then why would he need to specifically "pander" to D&D gamers?

Voneth

First Post
Dave Speredelozzi said:

Was something wrong with the other Vin Diesel plays D&D thread?

Uh yeah :)

"and I didn't want my opinion swamped over how cool this or that movie was"

Have you read that thread lately? I'd rather not be swiming up stream against "FaF suck! vs. FaF was cool!"

No Thanks

[edited by me since I grabbed the wrong post to quote.

Last edited:

herald

First Post
Has anyone heard that Vin is supposedly playing Conan's son in the Conan sequel that is rumoured to be in the works?

<Snip>

Maybe that is what all this D&D "research" is for?

Sorry, not to be insulting, but by that stretch of logic I sould be prepared to be play a doctor in a movie since I played "Operation"

"Nurse, hold that still, I'm going in for the funny bone."

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Mark said:
Everyone keeps mentioning possible movies for him to star in that would be D&D related but no one is mentioning the FR series in the works. It's not uncommon these days for stars to cross over between movies and television. I can't think of a better star for them to add into that series and bring lots of fans to the show.

Speculation, of course, but who would he play (assuming that they use known characters) or what type of character might he be slated to play if they did get him for the FR TV series? :)

First thing that shot through my mind was "FR series... Drizzt... OH-MY-GOD!". Think up some black makeup, pointy ears, a black panther companion and two swords, we got a winner ;-)

Actually i think VD can play any action/menacing role, but the above was the first thing i thought about (i'm not a Drizzle wannabe btw). I like the dude, he has a certain pressence that few actors have. He even seems like a normal cheerfull fellow...

ps. I liked FaF a lot, it's a kind of Hit or Miss kind of thing, some people like it, some hate it. But one thing is clear if you don't like the street racing element, you won't enjoy this movie.

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Wolfen Priest said:

It's true, if Vin has been a D&D player since he was 12, why is he suddenly now spending $800 on D&D stuff?

Well, there are three ways to look a this-

1) I can walk into my LGS and spend over $100 on three hardcover d&d books.

If Vin has been at a movie shoot for some time, then a return to a GS after a few months could easily blow through $800.

2) He bought a lot of different gaming stuff- including things like Warcraft 3 and Warhammer. The reporter is too ignorant to know that these are not d&d- so he lumps them all together.

3) The CIA is working with aliens and JFK's ghost in some grand conspiracy to screw D&D players.

FD

mac1504

Explorer
herald said:
Sorry, not to be insulting, but by that stretch of logic I sould be prepared to be play a doctor in a movie since I played "Operation"

"Nurse, hold that still, I'm going in for the funny bone."

Well, that is not what I was implying Herald, rather maybe he is trying to garner a little attention among D&D fans for his upcoming "secret" projects he mentions in the article. Sorry if I wasn't clear on my statement ;)

-mac1504

Remove ads