Ever use Sleestaks in your campaign?

Throughout the years playing Grymwurld,™ I've alluded to a primordial sentient race of saurian humanoids. Children of Ophion and ancestors of the Yuan-ti and Lizardfolk. Off the record, I've told my players that this primordial race is heavily influenced by the Sleestak (and their Altrusian ancestors) from the TV show Land of the Lost as well as the HP Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard writings. Many of you may recall that these creatures resembled the theoretical descendent of dinosaurs once proposed on Nova back in the '70s. The Altrusians were a highly advanced race employing what we might call psionics. They certainly did a lot with crystals.

Has anyone ever used Sleestaks and/or Altrusians? What was your experience? I'm thinking about designing a 'lost world' adventure that pays homage to Land of the Lost.

Any thoughts?

Aaron L

Hero
Hell yes I did! I even had PCs find an ancient psionic "control room" with a viewscreen and crystal control panel! It was full of old reptilian eggs. They never encountered live specimens.

They didn't get the reference, of course.

I was planning on having them attacked at some point by sleestacks. The game ended before I could, though.

I feel bad. I outgeeked my whole gaming group.

Dang, I feel vindicated now that someone else thought of it, too.

diaglo

Adventurer
yes. they became trogs in my OD&D campaign.

but OD&D is heavily influenced by H.P Lovecraft and Howard and a bunch of others.

Mystery Man

First Post
Aaron L said:
Hell yes I did! I even had PCs find an ancient psionic "control room" with a viewscreen and crystal control panel! It was full of old reptilian eggs. They never encountered live specimens.

They didn't get the reference, of course.

I was planning on having them attacked at some point by sleestacks. The game ended before I could, though.

I feel bad. I outgeeked my whole gaming group.

Dang, I feel vindicated now that someone else thought of it, too.

Unless your gaming group is in their mid 30's they probably wouldn't get it. If they are they should be ashamed of themselves. It would have been the first thing to pop into mind for me.

Driddle

First Post
And after discovering the Sleestak, they stumble upon room in which a small group of prisoners are held: A fair-featured ranger named Hank, a dark-skinned 'acrobat' Diana, some thief chick with red hair, an egotistical cavalier, a pointy-hatted wizard they call "Presto" (sheesh!), and a rambunctious little kid in a horned helmet. The Sleestak are about to perform some sort of ceremony on a baby unicorn...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases