My 13th-level druid... wow...

Perun

Mushroom
A few spells from some of the newer splatbooks (mainly from Complete Mage and Spell Compendium) seem really nice, so I had to see what my character could do with them... and I was impressed :D

I just had to share :) [sblock]
MARANZEL

Male Gnome Druid 13
Huge Magical Beast

Init +3; Senses Listen +19, Spot +20; Darkvision 60 ft., blindsense 40 ft., low-light vision, scent, tremorsense 60 ft.
Languages Common, Chondathan, Druidic, Undercommon, Draconic

AC 38, touch 15, flat-footed 35
(–2 size, +3 Dex, +19 natural, +4 mage armor, +4 deflection)
hp 211 (13 HD) [without house rules: 172 hp]
Resistances fire resistance 20
Immunities sneak attacks, critical hits
Saves Fort +19, Refl +9, Will +13
+4 vs. spell-like abilities of fey, +1 bonus vs. illusions

Speed 50 ft., burrow 10 ft., swim 50 ft.
Melee 2 +3 claws +26 (2d6+19) and +3 bite +24 (3d8+11); or
Melee 4 +3 claws +26 (2d6+19)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Atk Options Blind-Fight, Power Attack, +8 bonus to resist bull rush, overrun, or trip
Base Atk +9; Grp +33

Spell-Like Abilities
1/day — ghost sound (DC 10), dancing lights, prestidigitation, speak with animals (burrowing mammals only, duration 1 minute)
Druid Spells Prepared (6/7/7/6/5/4/3/2; DC 15 + spell level) [without house rules it's one less 3rd- and 7th-level spell slot]

Abilities Str 43, Dex 17, Con 28, Int 12, Wis 20, Cha 11
SQ Wild Empathy +15, water breathing, druid abilities, gnome traits
Feats Great Fortitude(B), Lightning Reflexes, Blind-Fight, Natural Spell, Blindsense, Dragon Wildshape, Power Attack(B)
Skills Concentration +19, Escape Artist +8, Handle Animal +5, Heal +11, Jump +34, Knowledge (nature) +21, Listen +19, Ride +6, Spellcraft +10, Spot +20, Survival +25, Swim +26

Leap (Ex) Maranzel can jump into the air during combat. This allows him to make four claw attacks instead of two, each with a +26 attack bonus, but he cannot bite.

SPELLS USED
  • heart of earth (Complete mage) — Drd 4; 1 hour/level; temporary hp equal to double caster level (26); +8 to resist bull rsh, overrun, or trip attacks
  • heart of air (Complete mage) — Drd 2; +10 enhancement bonus to Jump checks, +10 ft. enhancement to fly speed
  • heart of fire (Complete mage) — Drd 5; +10 ft. enhancement to base speed, resistance to fire 20
  • heart of water (Complete mage) — Drd 3; swim speed, breathe water, +5 enhancement bonus to Escape Artist
  • all four heart of... spells — immunity to extra damage from critical hits and sneak attacks
  • halo of sand (Sandstorm) — Drd 2; 10 min/level; +4 deflection bonus to AC
  • aspect of the earth hunter — Drd 6; 10 min/level; change into bulette
  • bite of the werebear (Spell compendium) — Drd 6; 1 round/level; +16 Str, +2 Dex, +8 Con, +7 natural armour, 2 claws 1d8 (medium), bite at –2 2d8 (medium), Power Attack, Blind-Fight
  • mage armour — Wiz 1; 1 hour/level, cast by a friendly wizard
  • greater magic fang — Drd 3; 1 hour/level, cast twice (bite, claws)

That's a total of two 2nd-level spells, three 3rd-level ones, one 4th-level, one 5th-level, and two 6th-level spells.
If one wanted to use less spells, dire bear wild shape could be substituted for aspect of the earth hunter, which will give increased Str (47), but slightly reduced AC and Con

Relevant House Rules
  • Although we use the alternate form wild shape errata, hit points do change according to the new form's Constitution score (DM prefers it that way). (I added the non-house-ruled hp)
  • When a character's equipment is merged with his new form (alternate form, change shape, wild shape, etc.), any bonus spell slots gained through an item that increases character's spellcasting score (periapt of wisdom, headband of intellect, cloak of charisma) are not lost. Spell DCs are still lowered, though. (Added the non-house-ruled spell slots.)
  • Not a house rule, but still... Maranzel (the character) was originally human, but got reincarnated as a gnome around 10th level, hence the extra feat and skill points in the character's stat block.
  • Maranzel was originally created with 3.0 rules and Masters of the Wild accessory, so his Blindsense feat works much like it did in that book, but with reduced range (40 ft.)
[/sblock]

:cool:

Last edited:

I really don't like combining the various "bite of" spells with the various "polymorph into" spells.

However, as far as I can see it is perfectly legal!

I wouldn't have much fun playing an adventurer who can't speak to the rest of the party though.

Perun

Mushroom
Piratecat said:
Wow - I'm yoinking him for a NPC!

Yoink away, good sir! Glad to be of service. :)

amethal said:
I really don't like combining the various "bite of" spells with the various "polymorph into" spells.

However, as far as I can see it is perfectly legal!

Yes, both types of spells would be perfectly viable even if they didn't work together. But, it's legal, as you said. I'm waiting for my DM to rule on this -- I sent him "The Horror", as I lovingly named him ;)

I wouldn't have much fun playing an adventurer who can't speak to the rest of the party though.

Yeah, wasn't fun for me, either... hence:

Wild Voice
Transmutation
Level: Druid 3
Components: V, S, DF
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level

You gain the ability to speak when in wild shape. You can speak in your normal voice, or in a voice appropriate to the wild shape form (a growling voice for a wolf, a squeeky voice for a rat, a rustling, leafy sound for an assassin vine, etc.).

:)

Corsair

First Post
Regarding speaking in while shape: This is why god invented tongues. "This spell grants the creature touched the ability to speak and understand the language of any intelligent creature"

Grants the ability to speak, and it doesn't say it requires you to already be able to speak in the first place!

Also I'm playing a very similar level 12 druid who discovered the same awesomeness recently during a fight with a dragon. For a couple rounds when the dragon was out of range and closing with us, I threw on buffs. Because we don't use the item-melding on wildshape eratta, me in my monks belt, animal growthed, magic fanged a couple times, natures favor, Bite of the Werebear'ed, stone skined, wearing +4 bracers of armor pretty much matched you. (oh and resist energy [cold] and fire shield (against cold) fighting a white dragon)

Druids are leetcakes. :)

jensun

First Post
WizarDru said:
Neat, but I'm not sure how long he'd last after a Greater Dispel slaps the beast right out of him. :)
Personally i would be happy that my level 13 - 17 opponent spent his time trying to dispel my buffs rather than Imploding the Wizard, Dominating the Fighter or Rogue or Forcecaging the Priest.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases