Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 4, Pursuit

Valurel returns Lodric's nod almost imperceptibly and turns to follow his companion back to the rest of the group, hoping that they haven't found any other trouble while he and Lodric were away.

Hrothgar

First Post
Ellard nods, throws an oiled rag over his shoulder, and goes back to curing hides. Glancing back at the Erenlander, Ellard does not even look up at the two retreating Heroes, his every effort focused on the task of tanning hides.

Lodric and Valurel wind their way through the greasy streets of the small town. Passing down an alley, the pair slip into the woods to emerger behind the dilapidated, moss-covered building at the forest's edge. Herger, Starhl, and Kaela look relieved when Valurel and Lodric emerge from the forest. At their feet lies a moaning Erenlander, his face stuck in the soft earth.

Quickly Lodric relays the information from Ellard. If the tanner is to be trusted, Ibor, Fallax, Aislinn, and the Elves followed the River El southward. Will the Heroes follow? If so, what is the fastest way? On foot? By river? No horses were visible in town, and the price of bartering for horses would be astronomical. Stealing horses would bring unwanted attention assuredly. And what of the orc that pursues Aislinn between the Heroes and Aislinn's captors? What decisions will the Heroes make?

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela voices her concern early. "If Ellard is to be trusted..." She pauses, thinking for a moment. "Why would he reveal such information to you so freely, without any knowledge of your quest or nature? Perhaps the speak of legates was a ruse to cover for onlookers who might hear. But perhaps it was deliberate misinformation to lead the servants of a legate astray!"

She sighs. "I don't like being in this situation. Who should we trust? Do we follow blindly?"

"Did you feel he should be trusted, Lodric? Valurel?"

maddmic

Explorer
Herger nods. "That is my concern too. It is difficult for us to show our true intentions to those whom we do not know. Therefore, I would also think that it would be difficult for Ellard to give correct information to us when he believes that we are in league with the agents of darkness."

Pondering for a bit, the giant continues. "Was Ellard made aware of whom sent us? We were to let him know that we were from Baden's Bluff and who sent us. Perhaps if you dropped a name and he did not acknowledge that, then he could be protecting himself or them. Maybe we could approach him again and use the name of Jodya? She is already dead, so there wouldn't be any ramifications for her. It would also most certainly indicate to him which side we are on if he knows her, since there aren't too many fell fighting the good fight."

He then turns to face south. "We could also find out who traded the meat with them and how much. Perhaps that would give us an idea of how far they are planning on going?" Pausing again, he turns back to the others. "Or do we take Ellard for his word and set off? Kaela speaks the truth. You two were the ones who were talking to Ellard. There are no others who can decipher what he said, nor how he said it. If you trust his words, then we should not waste any more time."

Valurel nods at Kaela's words. "You are wise not to trust one such as Ellard," he says to her. "However, regarding the orc tracker that Ellard mentioned, I believe he was speaking truth. He seemed very unnerved when he spoke of him. I have some skill in tracking his kind. If he follows Aislinn, I might be able to track him, which could lead us to her." Valurel falls silent, waiting for the others to either agree or disagree with this course of action.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
"Trusted? I don't know if I would go that far, but I have no good reason to think he was deceiving us. I agree with Valurel that the information about the tracker also rings true. We could try and follow up with what he told us, but we do not know if anyone else is this town is anymore trustworthy.

If Ellard speaks the truth, Fallax and Ibor will be getting further away with Aislinn while we take the time to find out the truth. They have horses and a headstart already. If we have been deceived, then we have little way of knowing where to go next while they get further away. I say we go South and hope for the best.

Hrothgar

First Post
Choices are difficult in the age under Shadow. Choices between life and death are even more so. The Heroes have chosen to head south, following Aislinn and her kidnappers as well as the orc tracker. The way south leads to the plains of Erenland, a vast expanse where Aislinn's kidnappers on horseback will make outstanding time. The Heroes have little chance of catching them on foot, but they might overtake the orc tracker. However, the River El also stretches south, its source in south of the Pelluria. Travel on the water, with the proper craft, could save the Heroes possibly a day of travel. Peering toward the River El, Elswier's docks are ramshackle and rotted. Small fishing boats and river skiffs are tied haphazardly around the docks, their maintainence obviously of little concern.

One water craft is an obvious exception. About the size of a wide canoe, its make is obviously Gnomish. However, its exterior has seen better times. Held together by stained and frayed rope, the small craft drifts amongst a collection of animal bladders and gourds to prevent jostling with other crafts at dock. On the deck, readying his craft for sail is a Gnome dressed in a loose fitting white and yellow shirt and red pants.

While the craft may not be big enough to carry all the Heroes, but with its sail, it could tow another small skiff.

By foot or by boat. That is the Heroes decision.

maddmic

Explorer
Herger had nodded when the suggestion to go south was made. He was glad as he didn't much care to make decisions.

Once they were at the docks and he took in the sight, he exhaled. He hadn't wanted to go back on the water, but he knew it was their best chance to regain the lost ground. The problem now was the lack of a craft that looked sturdy enough to provide them a means south. He then saw the small figure in the bright clothes. 'That thing might work. It sure looks better than the others. Perhaps we could just toss the little guy aside and get on our way?.....

Herger then looked to the others. "Well, I guess our choice is pretty obvious. How do we approach the guy though? Do we have anything to trade for the boat?"

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela leans in close to Herger as they survey the docks. His size and friendship was as much of a comfort as anything she had ever experienced. Peeking out from behind him at the gnome, she shrugs. "There is little we could offer in payment. Should we speak to him? Perhaps he plans to travel south anyhow," she says hopefully.

Remove ads