Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 4, Pursuit

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Lodric lets out a small sigh. Well, if we want to have any chance of getting Aislinn back, we need to make better time than by walking. I suppose we need to speak with the gnome and see if somehow we can convince him to carry us south.

maddmic

Explorer
Herger nods at Kaela and then at Lodric. "Perhaps he is going south. Or maybe he can be persuaded....." With that, the giant moves to the docks.

Trying to not cause too much of a scene, he approaches the gnome who is busy readying his craft. "Ho there my good gnome. Getting ready to sail are you?" Pausing only for the quickest of replies, Herger continues. "I don't suppose you might be heading south then would you?"

Herger waits for the gnome to answer him, while trying to look as unimposing as possible.

Bihlbo

Explorer
"the gnome"

The gnome before you moves quickly across the top of his boat, securing the rigging and making adjustments to the ropes tied all around the craft, clearly very focused on his task. Distractedly he mumbles, "Why yes, I did come.."

"Er, scuze me folks, yes I am coming from the south. I have me some sacks and salted meats from down there ya might have interest in seein'."

He finally draws his attention away from the skiff and takes a look at the giant standing before him. His face flashes a look of shock at the size of the man on the muddy shore, broken almost instantly by a wide, friendly smile of gleaming bright gray teeth. As he straightens his quick words drip with honey and respect, "I know what you were thinkin when you saw me, dear friend, but I've no interest in hiring any hands today, as I've just come back from trading here and am about to push off back to the 'Bluff. I hear they're just about to straighten out the mess there and I'm expected. So, maybe next time I'm in your lovely town you can earn your salt, eh?"

OOC: He's making a Diplomacy check to seem as agreeable as possible, hoping that the lack of opportunity he'd just offered the giant won't cause a furious response, even though he's a much smaller opponent.

maddmic

Explorer
Herger listens to the gnome and hears what he has to say. 'The little guy talks fast. A smile creeps across the giants face and he chuckles. "My good.....gnome. We do not seek employment. We are looking for a means to travel south from this place." Herger had hoped that things would not come to this, but it was clear that the gnome had his own tasks to be concerned with.

Deciding against threatening the small guy, he tries another approach. "Let me put it to you this way. What would it cost us for the use of your boat? We have a pressing matter at hand and need to be on our way."

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela leans over to where Valurel stands in that state of nervous energy he always seems to display when around strangers. "I like him," she whispers.

"Can I come on your boat?" She blurts out the request, suddenly sounding her age for the first time in weeks. Her smile is the genuine grin of a curious teen.

Valurel nods at Kaela's words and relaxes his defensive stance slightly, turning his attention to the surrounding area and letting the others deal with the gnome directly. Keeping his hood pulled low over his face to hide his elven features, he scans the area for danger using both sight and smell...the stench that always followed orcs wherever they went was strong and familiar to him.

Hrothgar

First Post
Valurel's mind shifts quickly from one thought to the next, constantly taking in the Elf's surroundings. A hunter from birth, the Elf senses were honed by constant warfare with the Shadow in the North. This day, his senses would not fail him. From the north, down river and the direction the Heroes just came, the creak and splash of a water vessel is just faintly audible to the Elf's senstive ears. Whatever is making the noise is obscured by the trees lining the bends in the River El. Horribly, it is not the faint scent of orc that drifts to Valurel's nose, but a smell of decay...and blood. Valurel is struck that no voices have reached his ears. Nothing besides the ponderous vessel moving on the water. It is only a matter of a few minutes before the vessel slides into view of the Heroes...

OOC: Bihlbo, you're up.

Now on full alert, Valurel steps forward to stand directly in front of the gnome. "We need to leave...now!" the elf hisses. "We have no further time for discussion. Something approaches on the river, slowly but it will be here soon. Smells of death and fouler things." Valurel throws his head back, catching the scent of the approaching boat again. "We're about out of time! Need to go NOW!" he growls.

Bihlbo

Explorer
"South? Oh, south will not do, no," says the gnome, shaking his head and showing concern for the giant. "Sorry for the misunderstanding friend, but I'm afraid I just came from there, and it would be a dire inconvenience for me to upset my travel plans."

As the gnome hears the young girl's exclamation a warm smile spreads across his face. As a contrast to the smile before, this one is soft and puts color in his cheeks. "Oh dear, now you're makin an old raft trader's heart mealt. My boy I'll tell you what," turning his head back to the giant, "For a small showing of your generosity on top of my normally very small fee I can take you and the girl back south, but only as far as Hillbird's docks. That should get..."

As one of the travellers approaches the pier and throws back his hood, the gnome's face clearly shows his amazement at seeing such a daring move for what could only be an elf, deep in the Erenland. "Oh what've I gotten myself into this time?" he mutters to himself.

"Hey listen, I don't want no trouble, I'm just an honest trader I am!" His protest and shock is suddenly interrupted as his dimeanor changes, "Oh, but I think we could work out something - yes, I think I could be inclined to help a group of stout explorers! Only a small extra fee of course, but I'm sure a band such as yourselves has means, eh?"

The gnome quickly looks around his skiff at the other rafts tied to the piers and appears to see what he'd been looking for. All smiles, he turns his attention back to the giant and says, "Gentle friend, if you don't mind, this raft just to the side here is also mine, and it should hold you all much more safely than my small skiff alone. Just tie its line to this cleat here as I help your young friend aboard my boat - she does seem to be quite fond of it."

OOC: Yup, "it's also mine" is a Bluff check, +11.

The gnome begins again to move furiously, securing portions of the boat as he looks up and downstream to see if he can spy the danger allerted to by the elf. After only a moment he smiles and gestures to the young girl to come aboard.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases