Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 4, Pursuit

maddmic

Explorer
OOC:
I'll let Hrothgar rule the bluff, but I don't think it's necessary with the giant. He's not going to let Kaela be alone with anybody he doesn't trust. Mostly due to what happened with Aislinn.

IC:

Herger nods. "If my friend says something is on it's way, then we would be well advised to listen to him. I agree to move to the other raft, but my scout friend will be accompanying the girl. We will work out payment later, but rest assured that we will try our best to compensate you. Once again though, if the scout says something bad is coming, you don't want to run across it. And it just so happens that it is coming from the north I believe. So, if we could be on our way then?" He motions for the gnome to get underway.

OOC:
When referring to the scout, he motions to the elf. He then boards the other raft once it's clear that at least Valurel is going with Kaela.

Bihlbo

Explorer
"Yes yes, just hurry up with that line, will you? Oh gibbertiff, I'll get it myself." The gnome scoots over to the stern of his craft and resecures the line to the cleat, to ensure both crafts will be able to travel together. As the scout boards the skiff the gnome moves up close and with a harsh whisper says, "Listen, keep you and the girl to the bow - that's the front right there," pointing to the tapered end of the boat, "and I'll get this thing moving as fast as I can. But if it's orcs we're running from, so help me you'll be serpent snacks before I let you sully my good name!"

In a furious motion, the gnome pulls quickly on the craft's ropes, unfurling a faint yellow sail. As soon as the raft is full, he swings the boom against the wind and begins to steer the craft away from shore.

OOC: The Bluff check was meant for his claim of ownership of the raft, not having to do with any of the characters. I edited the post to clear that up. What does the raft look like? Mardo makes a Use Rope check for securing the raft to the skiff: +5

Valurel waits until Kaela has moved to the front of the boat before answering the gnome. "I'm not so fearful of orcs, little one," Valurel hisses, "trust that what is coming is far more foul." Without another word, Valurel makes his way to the front of the boat with Kaela, standing protectively close to her. Rather than looking forward, he trains his sharp eyes on the river behind them.

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela's smile disappears once Valurel's warning rings out. She has come to trust his sharp senses and even his slightly paranoid nature.

"Thank you," she says to the gnome, appreciation evident in her voice. She lets Herger and Valurel lead her, her eyes darting back and forth in the direction of the threat. The faint power of mystical energies was already filling her slight form as her fear started to rise.

Hrothgar

First Post
OOC: Bihlbo, sorry I forgot your Diplomacy roll earlier, but I did not miss the Bluff check this time! As for skill interactions between players, like Diplomacy or Bluff, I'd rather not roll those. I guess I feel that some players could feel that their characters can be manipulated by other players. We have a good group of players, and if you maintained the skiff was truly yours and the player suspected it was not, I'd feel more comfortable with the players having their characters react as they see fit. I see why you had Mardo maintain that the other skiff was his, though. If we did have a LG character who refused to follow Mardo because she thought the skiff was not Mardo's, well, tough luck for them. :)

BTW, anyone seen Krug or Thornir? I'll assume both Starhl and Lodric jump into the skiff with Herger.

Following Valurel's and Kaela's lead, Starhl and Lodric jump into the second skiff as the nimble gnome ties the two craft together. With Herger's great weight, the second craft sinks dangerously low in the water. Herger's eyes grow wide as he sits stiffly in the craft, both hands gripping the sides with white knuckles. Starhl can only growl, So who's idea was it to place both Northmen in one boat, eh?

With a small gust of wind, Mardo's craft begins to move upstream in the slow moving water. Passing by the rotten docks, the Heroes hear a shout and a dirty, bearded man pounds down the dock waving his arms. Hey! Hey! That's my skiff you theiv'n scum! Stop now or I'll sink- Screeching to a halt at the edge of the dock, the man sucks in his breath at the sight of Herger's great bulk, the refined featurs of the Elf-like figure sitting in the skiff, the young, innocent-looking girl, the bearded, wild northman, and the wild-eyed Erenlander. And the gnome. The man turns and runs screaming back to shore. Help! Outlanders! Stealing my boat!

With the eastern gust of wind that draws the gnome's sail full, comes a faint reek on the air, of something dead. The creak and groan of oars drift down from upstream, the unknown craft still hidden by the folds of the river.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Lodric keeps a wary eye upstream while he lets a small grin slip across his face. It seems that we left just in time, or that person back on the dock might have been inclined to try and steal your boat. Unfortunately it seems we may be heading towards something worse than an annoyed fisherman.

Krug

Newshound
Apologies. Been travelling for work and haven't been able to access internet much

Starhl grabs a paddle and furiously paddles away. "We'll return it... we're just borrowing it for a second!" the barbarian mutters, rowing as fast as he can.

maddmic

Explorer
OOC:
Just for clarification, we are traveling South and the stench comes from the north? Also, is Herger the only one on the raft being towed? Just curious should things get dicey. :)

IC:
Herger holds onto the sides of the raft as they begin to float away. He is sure that he heard somebody yelling at them, but was concentrating too hard on not falling into the water to even care. He looked over his shoulder for a split second to see if there was any sign of the death that followed them. Not wanting to cause any tipping of the raft though, he quickly turned face-forward until he better understood how this rickety raft would hold them afloat.

Once away and with the sail catching a bit of a breeze, Herger released his breath. He had not even noticed that he was holding it. He looked forward to try to see how Kaela and Valurel were faring. Not really wanting to see what was behind them, Herger thought about using his massive hands as paddles to help them along, but he was still too unsure of the way the raft was handling.

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela's expression makes her fear evident. She feels truly sorry that they are making off with the bystander's boat, but it is also hard for her to imagine what else they could do.

Taking a cautious step to Herger, she lays a calming hand on his broad shoulder. "Don't worry, Herger! We're making good pace, I think!"

The doubt in her voice on the last word makes it clear that she has no idea what a good pace to be making is...

With the others now alerted to the danger approaching from the north, Valurel turns his attention to the south. He crouches low in the front of the boat, his keen eyes sweeping the riverbanks, looking for any sign of ambush.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases