Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 4, Pursuit

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Lodric turns to Valurel, "You are correct, Valurel, but I do not think it will be easy to stop Herger from doing what he thinks is right. I will go with him. Once we see how things look, perhaps I can keep him from doing anything too rash. Besides, we do need to try and pick up Fallax's trail, and perhaps we will be able to get some information. If you will not come with us, I ask that you do not go too far so we might catch up with you.

With that Lodric begis to catch up with Herger.

Bihlbo

Explorer
Toric_Arthendain said:
"Leave the boat on the water. It will either drift back from whence it came or sink. We should waste no more time here," Valurel says quietly.

Mardo unteathers the two craft and scoops out the water in the bottom of the second boat. As he gathers his things for the journey, he finds that much of his supplies are going to be too heavy for overland travel. He puts a hunk of cheese into a sack with a candle, and ties the top of it with river grass, then sets it into the center of the second boat. "That should brighten anyone's day," he says to himself. With that, he shoves it back into the water.

Mardo agonizes over his skiff as he prepares for the journey. He pulls off the whole center portion of the boards that cover the top of the skiff, revealing what was originally made to be a handcart. He then reassembles it with wheels stowed in the hull and begins to wrap up and strap down most of his wares onto the cart. In the center is the valuable Fintwicz cheese, surrounded by the less valuable items such as the pitchers, water, and bedroll.

After it looks like the skiff is mostly stipped bare, he hops into it again and dissappears for some time. He eventually re-emerges with a heavy sack, which he tucks deep under the rest of the materials on the cart, making sure it isn't visible.

"Sorry for the delay, folks. I'm ready to go!"

Bihlbo

Explorer
As Herger and Valurel decide on directions, Mardo takes the moment to get some much-needed rest, sitting on the edge of the cart. His muscles suprisingly sore already, he realizes that moving a cart over rough prairie is much harder than the smooth trade paths leading between most towns. "One day in and I already need a rest. I'm going to have to fill up on cheese tonight, keep my strength up."

Krug

Newshound
Starhl sighs, look at his companions, and starts following Herger. "Stubborn one we have here," he mutters. He misses his wolf and its easier-to-understand sensibilities.

Hrothgar

First Post
Valurel can only curse at Herger's and his other companion's apparent foolishness. The Ghost's hunting instincts warn him of such a rash act. Not only orcs prowl these dangerous highways. Skirting the road to the west, the lithe elf lopes across the rolling plains, heading south, his eyes scanning for danger. Keeping an eye on his companions and the road and hidden folds in the land, the Elf prepares himself to send warning if need be.

Herger, Lodric, and Starhl move to the southwest, glancing back briefly at Mardo and Kaela, who stay to the north, hidden in the grass. The Gnome's muscles are unused to the long walks of the prairies and his lungs burn with the effort. Not surprisingly, his wiry upper body seems to have help up quite well. Now, his legs have to earn their toughness.

Quickly the trio makes the road, a broad dirt track that extens north and south, winding through the shallow folds of the plains. The sun breaks through the clouds above, beating down harshly on the warm plains. On short poles, spaced infrequently along the road, human and halfling heads or even whole bodies are spitted. Some of the rotting, dried bodies even seem to move eerily in the windless air of thier own accord. From the larger poles hang gibbet cages; guant, skeletal figures hang limply in their iron grasp. Flies buzz incessantly in the hot stench of rot and death. The urge to wretch is overpowering. The Road of Ruin is aptly named.

Stepping near the road, Herger, Lodric, and Starhl see no signs of travellers as far as the eye can see to the north and south. At their approach, a skeletal figure in a gibbet cage shifts slightly, sending two ravens that were perched on the cage flying and cawing harshly in still air. A slow, rattling exhale emanates from the cage, followed by a faint twittering. An emaciated hand extends through the iron bars, the folds of an old cloak falling away to reveal bloodless, rotting wounds. The hand beckons feebly to the trio to move closer...

Valurel's anxiety rises. His sense of danger piqued. There! Far to south, a low dust cloud rides in the air. Something is moving along the road, heading north. It is far distant, but if Valurel can see those that approach, do those to the south have the ability to see the Heroes?

Last edited:

maddmic

Explorer
Herger does not hesitate to go to the skeletal hand that beckons them. He tries not to look at the occupant of the cage. "Have you seen a host traveling by here? A band with an old man and a young girl. Or perhaps a lone orc on a hurried mission?"

He pauses knowing most likely what the answer will be. "Please, it is of utmost urgency if you have any information. I would do what I can to save you, or spare you from your agony."

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela watches nervously from the grass with their newest companion. Mardo's aching chest and laboured breath is audible from her seat.

"Thank you for coming, Mardo. I know that you must have concerns about our past, but I'll do my best to convince you that you made the right decision," she says with a smile and a firm nod.

Looking back to Herger again, she sees him approach the cage and call out to its inhabitant. His voice booms across the plain even at this long distance. Kaela glances across to where Valurel stands as well, his nervous nature overridding the concern for life that Kaela was sure he had.

The dust cloud has Valurel's nerves on edge, but is not unexpected. With a low growl deep in his throat, he closes the distance to where Kaela and Mardo wait in the grass. He stays out of sight as best he can as he approaches. "Kaela, it is time to get away from here. Something comes from the south, a large group. We should not be here when they arrive," he hisses after reaching her position.

That said he continues forward, continuing to move from in a loping crouch to stay out of sight. When he is close enough to call out to Herger without being heard by anyone nearby, he growls, "Herger. Time to move. Something approaches from the south, a large group maybe. We need to be off this road."

Krug

Newshound
Starhl grips his sword as he approaches the skeletal cage. He is both curious and repulsed at the same time, and ready to chop off the hand if it tries anything. He casts his eyes around nervously.

Bihlbo

Explorer
Toric_Arthendain said:
"Kaela, it is time to get away from here. Something comes from the south, a large group. We should not be here when they arrive," Valurel hisses after reaching her position.

At that Mardo lets out a grunt as he stands and pushes his jewel-rimmed hat back onto his head. He grabs the handles of his cart and whispers to Kaela, "I'll be right behind ya, girl."

Remove ads