Old School Nefarium - Road to Adventure Link (1/20/16)

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Hound of Hell

Here's my first Pathfinder-style monster. Enjoy.

[sblock=Hound of Hell; CR 3]
A hound of Hell stands 3-4 feet tall at the shoulder and weighs 90 pounds, although it's hard to tell since they're naturally invisible. Efficient hunters, a favorite pack tactic is to surround prey quietly. Then one or two hounds attack, driving prey toward the rest of the pack. If the prey doesn't run, the pack closes in. Hounds of Hell track fleeing creatures relentlessly.

XP 800

LE Medium outsider (evil, extraplanar, lawful)
Init +5; Senses darkvision 60 ft., scent; Perception +7
-----
Defense
-----
AC 13, touch 11, flat-footed 13 (+1 Dex, +2 natural)
hp 26 (4d10+4)
Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1
Defensive Abilities invisibility
-----
Offense
-----
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares)
Melee 2 claws +5 (1d4+1), bite +5 (1d6+1 plus trip)
Special Attacks
-----
Statistics
-----
Abilities Str 13, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 6
Base Atk +4; CMB +5; CMD 16 (20 vs. trip)
Feats Improved Initiative, Run
Skills Acrobatics +8, Perception +7, Stealth +13, Survival +7; Racial Modifiers +5 Stealth
Language Infernal (cannot speak)
-----
Ecology
-----
Environment any (Hell)
Organization solitary, pair, or pack (3-12)
Treasure incidental
-----
Special Abilities
-----
Invisibility (Su) A hound of Hell remains invisible even when it attacks. This ability is constant. The hound cannot suppress this ability.
[/sblock]

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
I was afraid this thread was long dead. It's great to see it isn't.

Danke. :)

I don't suppose you take requests? ;)

I take requests. I don't necessarily honor them, but I do take them. A lot depends on what I have available for resources combined with time. If the request requires a book I don't have, I obviously can't do it. Requests that have deadlines are also problematic.

Other than that.... :D

Sigurd

First Post
Request: - An intelligent monster that champions city pets and punishes the bastards who mistreat/abuse them. Perhaps fey.

Something that travels and is perhaps drawn to animal suffering. Make them hard to discover.

Sigurd

Hey! My 1000th post!

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Madadh

Request: - An intelligent monster that champions city pets and punishes the bastards who mistreat/abuse them. Perhaps fey.

Something that travels and is perhaps drawn to animal suffering. Make them hard to discover.

Gristle kicked the mastiff in the ribs and jumped back. The dog lunged for him, jaws snapping, but the short, thick chain attached to the heavy spike in the floor jerked the animal short. Gristle waded back in, this time with his club.

"You'll learn some proper manners, mutt! Snap at me, and you get the club!"

The mastiff growled and yelped, trying to get away from the pain and fear, but it could barely move thanks to the chain.

"Ow!" Gristle said, slapping his neck. A spot of blood came away on his hand, and he saw the half-sized arrow that had grazed him. "What in the Nine Hells?"

He stepped back from the mastiff, which lay quivering on the floor. Something tittered. The child-like laugh came from somewhere up in the rafters.

"You're going to get a beating next!" Gristle yelled at the shadows. "I'm gonna -- Uh, damn. I think I'm going to --"

Gristle bent over in pain, vomiting up his lunch as spasms wracked his body. He dropped to his knees. From a dark space between two stacks of wooden boxes, a child appeared, brandishing a wickedly curved knife. No, not a child. Children don't look like that.

After a while, the tittering was louder than Gristle's screams for mercy.

[sblock=Madadh (CR 3)]
The creature before you is the size of a young human child, but it moves with grace and strength. It has nut-brown skin marked by a wood grain pattern. It is almost entirely naked and quite hairy, and it carries a small bow and curved blade.

XP 800
N Small fey
Init +2; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8

Defense
AC 15, touch 13, flat-footed 13 (+2 Dex, +1 size, +2 natural)
hp 17 (5d6)
Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +6
Defensive Abilities DR 5/cold iron

Offense
Speed 20 ft.
Melee scimitar +3 (1d4 plus bleed/18-20)
Ranged shortbow +5 (1d4 plus poison/x3)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks bleed (1 point), poison
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 5th)
Constant - speak with animals
At will - beast shape I, hide from animals (self only)

Statistics
Str 10, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 13
Base Atk +2; CMB +3; CMD 13
Skills Acrobatics +10, Disable Device +10, Escape Artist +10, Knowledge (local) +9, Perception +8, Sense Motive +10, Stealth +11, Use Magic Device +9
Feats Agile Maneuvers, Deadly Aim
Languages Common, Sylvan
SQ detect pain

Ecology
Environment urban
Organization solitary, pair, or league (3-9)
Treasure standard

Special Abilities
Detect Pain (Su) By concentrating, a madadh can detect pain in cone-shaped emanation with a 60-foot range. The first round it detects pain, the madadh determines the presence or absence of creatures in pain. The second round, it determines the number of creatures in pain. The third round, it determines the degree of pain and location of each pained creature. "Degree of pain" reveals the same conditions as status, but only so long as the madadh maintains concentration. This ability can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.

Poison (Su) shortbow -- injury; save Fort DC 13; frequency 1/round for 3 rounds; effect 1 point Strength damage and nauseated; cure 1 save. The save DC is Charisma-based.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Paper Tiger

How about another Pathfinder monster? This one is a low-CR construct suitable to guard a forgotten library in the abandoned tower of a wizard.

[sblock=Paper Tiger (CR 1/2)]
The sheets of ancient, yellowed paper jerk and then fold and twist together. Almost in the blink of an eye, they become an origami animal, crouched and ready to pounce.
P_Tiger_NIshikawa.JPG

XP 200
N Small construct
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +3

Defense
AC 14, touch 14, flat-footed 11 (+3 Dex, +1 size)
hp 15 (1d10+10 size)
Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +0
Defensive Abilities SR 15 (vs. scrolls only); Immune construct traits
Weakness fire vulnerability

Offense
Speed 30 ft.
Melee 2 claws +4 (1d3-1), bite +4 (1d4-1)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks pounce

Statistics
Str 8, Dex 16, Con --, Int --, Wis 10, Cha 1
Base Atk +1; CMB -1; CMD 12 (16 vs. trip)
Skills Stealth +7 (+11 in libraries); Racial +4 Stealth in libraries
Feats Skill Focus (Perception) (B), Weapon Finesse (B)

Ecology
Environment any
Organization solitary, pair, or collection (3-6)
Treasure incidental
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
The Wendigo, Pathfinder-Style

Salve!

Quid Novi? subscribers have already been introduced to this monster, and he's made an appearance elsewhere on the Internet, but that's no reason not to let him grace this site as well. So, without further ado, we present...

The Wendigo
Just the barest flicker of a shadow passed his peripheral vision. He jerked around, his sword and shield at the ready. Nothing! Nothing but trees and the night and the cold. An icy breeze slipped across the back of his neck. His flesh crawled, but a sudden realization chilled him more than the air ever could. The wind was out of the northwest, and he was facing north. Another puff of freezing air brushed his ear. It was close enough to breathe on him!

He spun, striking and yelling at the same time. His sword cut deep into naked, pale flesh stretched tight across enormous ribs. As the wound healed with terrifying speed, he looked upward into the creature's face. Its glowing yellow eyes rolled in sockets full of blood.

The wendigo's fearsome howl cut into him, but not as deeply as the monster's claws....

A wendigo appears much like a humanoid as tall as an ogre, but one who is the last stages of death from starvation. It is completely hairless, and its flesh is deathly pale except for its blackened fingers, ears, nose, and toes. Its fingers end with long talons made of ice, and needle-like fangs fill its mouth. A wendigo has ragged, bloody flesh around its maw because it constantly devours its own lips. Its tongue is long, pocked with sores, and the color of a fresh bruise. Its most horrible feature are its glowing, yellow eyes that float in large sockets full of blood.

[sblock]CR 6; XP 2,400
Always E Large fey ( cold )
Init +5; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision , scent; Perception +10

DEFENSE
AC 16, touch 10, flat-footed 15 (+1 Dex, +6 natural, -1 size)
hp 58 (9d6+27); regeneration 5 (silver)
Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +9
Defensive Abilities quicker than the eye; Immune cold, fatigue
Weaknesses vulnerabilty to fire

OFFENSE
Speed 50 ft.
Melee 2 claws +9 (1d4+6 plus 1d4 cold) and bite +9 (1d8+6 plus wendigo fever)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks howl, unnerve prey, wendigo fever

STATISTICS
Str 23, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 13
Base Atk +4; CMB +4; CMD 19
Feats Defensive Combat Training, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes
Skills Acrobatics +10 (+18 when jumping), Bluff +10, Climb +15, Perception +10, Stealth +10 (+15 when moving more than 10 ft.), Survival +10; Racial +8 Acrobatics when jumping, +5 Stealth when moving more than 10 ft.

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Howl (Su) As a free action, a wendigo can unleash a fearsome howl. All living creatures within 50 feet must make a DC 15 Will save or have their current fear condition worsened by one step for 2d4 rounds. Thus, no fear condition becomes shaken, shaken becomes frightened, and frightened becomes panicked. A creature that makes its saving throw against a wendigo's howl cannot be affected by that wendigo's howl for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Quicker Than the Eye (Su) When a wendigo moves more than 10 feet, it enjoys a +5 racial bonus on Stealth checks and has concealment until its next turn.

Unnerve Prey (Su) As long as it isn't seen, a wendigo can target one living creature within 50 feet with this ability as a standard action. The target must make a DC 15 Will save or be shaken either until the wendigo is slain or is farther away than 50 feet for 1 minute. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Wendigo Fever (Su) Supernatural disease - bite, Fortitude DC 17, onset: 1 day; frequency: 1 day; effect: 1d3 Con and 1d3 Wis plus shaken. The save DC is Constitution-based. Cure: Unlike normal diseases, wendigo fever continues until the victim reaches Constitution 0 (and dies) or is cured. To eliminate wendigo fever, the victim must first receive a break enchantment or remove curse (requiring a DC 20 caster level check for either spell), and after which the wendigo fever can be magically cured as any normal disease.

An afflicted creature whose Wisdom reaches 0 becomes unreasoning and insane, desiring nothing else but running off into the wilderness.

Wild Empathy (Ex) This functions as the druid class feature. The wendigo has a +4 racial bonus to wild empathy checks.

ECOLOGY
Environment cold forests
Organization solitary or hunt (1 wendigo plus 2-4 winter wolves or 2-8 worgs)
Treasure incidental

A wendigo consumes only the flesh of sentient creatures, preferring halflings to all others. During winter months, starting shortly after the first snowfall, a wendigo wakes from hibernation and leaves its lair to hunt and devour until the beginning of spring. While awake, a wendigo is ceaselessly ravenous and without compassion and mercy. Only its love for terrorizing its prey gives a wendigo pause in its quest to kill and eat.

Despite its evil nature, a wendigo is part of the natural world. It has as special affinity for animals, especially predators.

Habitat: Wendigos inhabit cold forests. Each claims a large territory, typically at least a hundred square miles. Any sentient creature within a wendigo's territory during the winter is fair game. It is not unknown for a wendigo to range outside its territory in order to hunt when prey is scarce.

A wendigo always has a lair of some sort. Most hide in caves or canyons when hibernating. During the hunting season, a wendigo may have several lairs, including one or more structures that it invaded in order to feed on those inside. Some times a wendigo will fill stolen pots with gory remains and hide these pots in trees.[/sblock]

CLASSIC FICTION
The Wendigo by Algernon Blackwood.

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
At long last! New monsters!

The ranger crouched, examining the ground. She looked back over her shoulder at the rest of the party. "It came this way," she said, "but the tracks vanish. They've been deliberately obscured."

"That must mean it knows we're on its trail," said the wizard.

A terrified shriek shattered the quiet. The fighter's sword hissed from its scabbard. The ranger nocked an arrow.

"I think it came from over there," said the cleric.

"Everyone together," said the fighter. "I've got a bad feeling about this."

As the adventurers moved closer to each other, they heard another shriek, this time from the other side of the small clearing. The cleric stepped forward, raising his holy symbol. Something hissed through the air, and the cleric staggered back, blood gushing from a wound in his shoulder.

"It's over there!" he said. "Moving behind those trees!"

"Where?" said the wizard. "I don't see anything!"

The ranger scanned left and right, bow at the ready. The stories were true. The monster could only be seen by the one it attacked. Her keen ears picked up rustling from another direction as well. There was more than one of the creatures!

"We're in trouble," she whispered to herself.

[sblock=Baykok (CR 3)]
CE Medium undead
Init +5; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Listen +6, Spot +6

DEFENSE
AC 16, touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+2 Dex, +2 armor, +2 natural)
hp 26 (4d12)
Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +5
Defensive Abilities DR 5/bludgeoning, one-on-one, turn resistance +2; Immune undead traits

OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee club +3 (1d6+1), or
Ranged short bow +7 (1d6 plus paralysis, x3), or
Ranged short bow +5/+5 (1d6 plus paralysis, x3)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks invisible arrows, paralysis (1d6+1 rounds, DC 13), Point Blank Shot

STATISTICS
Str 12, Dex 15, Con --, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 12
Base Atk +2; Grp +3
Skills Climb +8, Move Silently +9, Jump +8, Listen +6, Spot +6, Survival +6; Racial +4 Climb and Jump
Feats Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Track (B)
Languages Common

ECOLOGY
Environment forests
Organization solitary, pair, or hunting party (2-5)
Treasure NPC gear (10 +1 bane arrows, oil of greater magic weapon +1, potion of barkskin +2, masterwork leather armor, masterwork shortbow, quiver, 10 arrows, plus 90 gp)
Advancement 5-8 HD (Medium)

SPECIAL ABILITIES
One-on-One (Su) A baykok remains invisible even when attacking except against the target of its attack. Against this target, the baykok remains visible until the beginning of its next turn. This ability is constant. If suppressed, the baykok can resume it as a free action.

Invisible Arrows (Su) The arrows a baykok fires from its bow turn invisible during flight as well as cause paralysis. This makes them harder to avoid, granting the baykok a +2 bonus on its attack rolls. This bonus is included in the stats above. If the baykok itself is invisible to its target, it does not get an additional +2 bonus on its attack rolls, but the target does lose it's Dexterity bonus (if any) against the attack. The paralysis save DC is Charisma-based.

Typical Characteristics: When a baykok can be seen, such as by its current victim, it appears to be a man-sized skeleton with glowing red eyes. Dessicated, transluscent flesh still clings to some of its bone. A baykok dresses for the hunt in leather armor. It carries its club and shortbow as well.

Of course, since a baykok is naturally invisible, its prey is more likely to hear it than see it. A baykok moves with great stealth, but keen ears can sometimes detect the clicking of its bones. The baykok's shrill voice is capable of piercing shrieks. It is fond of making horrible noises and then moving quietly to another location, doing this several times before attacking.

A baykok's arrows are normal arrows in other hands. The arrows' invisibility and paralysis are traits imbued by the baykok itself rather than abilities intrinsic to the items. The NPC gear listed above are suggested items. Many baykok carry several +1 bane arrows, usually effective against the most common type of humanoid within the baykok's hunting grounds. Baykoks trade with evil creatures, offering their skills as killers for magic items useful on the hunt.

Ecology: As an undead monster, a baykok has no place in the natural world. It exists to hunt, terrorize, and kill. Although it does not require sustence, a baykok typically devours its prey. It has a fondness for fresh, raw liver.

Habitat: Baykoks stalk forests. Since they favor humanoid prey, they tend to stay close to communities, especially frontier settlements. A baykok, however, seldom ventures within the confines of a community. Instead, it prefer to haunt the outskirts and near wilderness, stalking people who venture into the woods.

Although sunlight does not harm them, baykoks prefer to hunt in the hours just after sunset or just before sunrise. At other times, it lairs in some dark place, such as a cave or deep gulley. Instances of a baykok hiding underwater in a lake or pond have been reported.[/sblock]

Picture of a baykok by Christopher Bonnette.

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Qah-Lin-Me, Elder Brother of the Forests

Down by the river doing the laundry, the girls and women smelled the creatures before they saw them. The stench seemed to claw at their eyes and throats. When the pair of hulking, hairy brutes lumbered into view, those not incapacitated by the foul odor helped the others to flee. Although most qah-lin-me were peaceful, others were not. Judging by the way these two growled and pursued the fleeing womenfolk, it was obvious they belonged to the latter category.

[sblock=Qah-Lin-Me (CR 2)]
XP 600
N Large humanoid (giant)
Init +0; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +6
Aura stench (30 ft., DC 12, 5 rounds)

DEFENSE
AC 13, touch 9, flat-footed 13 (+4 natural, -1 size)
hp 16 (3d8+3)
Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +2

OFFENSE
Speed 40 ft., climb 20 ft.
Melee 2 slams +5 (1d6+4), or
Ranged rock +2 (1d6+6)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks rock throwing (60 ft.)
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 3rd):
Constant - pass without trace
At will - stabilize
2/day - hide from animals (self only)
1/day - tree shape

STATISTICS
Str 19, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 9
Base Atk +2; CMB +7; CMD 17
Feats Alertness, Self-Sufficient
Skills Climb +12, Heal +6, Perception +6, Sense Motive +3, Stealth -4, Survival +3; Racial +8 to Climb checks. A qah-lin-me can always take 10 on a Climb check, even when rushed or threatened.
Language Giant

ECOLOGY
Environment any forest
Organization solitary, pair, or family (3-9)
Treasure incidental

Typical Characteristics: The qah-lin-me are primitive giants. The average qah-lin-me towers nearly eight feet tall. They are broad in the shoulder and chest with long, powerful arms and short, somewhat bowed legs. Females are slightly smaller. Qah-lin-me are covered with thick hair, the color of which ranges from dark brown to ruddy. Their eyes are lightly colored.

Ecology: Most qah-lin-me are reclusive, peaceful omnivores. Their diet consists mainly of nuts, roots, flowers, grubs, and small reptiles. Despite their intelligence, qah-lin-me aren't much for tool use. They do not build shelters or material goods, although they may dwell in abandoned structures and use items which they find.

The name "qah-lin-me" means "Elder Brother" in Giant. Folk who live in regions inhabited by these giants often revere them for their healing powers. Some legends claim that the qah-lin-me first taught the healing arts to men (or elves, or halflings, depending on which legends one hears).

A few qah-lin-me aren't so benevolent. These evil qah-lin-me prefer a diet of fresh meat and blood. They kidnap sentient creatures to hold in their camps as slaves or for food (or both).

A qah-lin-me's magical abilities make it difficult to track. While not particularly stealthy, the qah-lin-me is fast, doesn't leave a trail, and animals often cannot perceive it. Once out of sight of hunters, it can turn into a tree. In tree form, a qah-lin-me's nauseating stench is not in effect.

Habitat: Qah-lin-me dwell in forests of all types, including alpine mountains and wooded swamps. They typically live out-of-doors, but extreme weather may force them to seek whatever natural shelter is available.[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases