What did you (or would you!) name your kids, and why?

Nyaricus

First Post
So, coming off of the Have you given your kids fantasy names? thread, I was wondering what you did name your kids, and why. If you don't have kids, what are some possibilities? If you have kids, what are some more names which you considered?

For myself, I'm still not planning to have kids for a number of years, so I have a list of names which I've been building for some time. Some I just like the sound of, and some have some meaning behind it. I also put down some rules for names: no days of the week (Wednesday cojours up what'sherface), no month names (April? Yuck!), no animals (Robin, etc) no plants (Ginger) and no over-the-top fantasy names (Aragorn is out ;)). Anyways, my list of names are:

Male Names:
Dante
Donald
Nathaniel
Rowan (yes, I kow this breaks the "no plants" rules ;))
Ryan
Tobias

Female Names
Bianka
Crystal
Dawn
Fiona
Kelli
Kira
Leona
Naomi
Sylvia

cheers,
--N

Kaodi

Hero
You're my hero, Nyaricus. Well, for about the next thirty second at least.

A word of advice: If you name you kid Donald, make sure they they *like* the comparison to Donald Duck *before* they set foot in school. That, or just call 'em Don from when they are little. I was in grade 6 before I finally got over this and embraced my fowl heritage, thanks to my cousin.

Also, what is "no plant" rule with Rowan? I must be missing something.

Names I'd Choose:

Girls' Names
Deirdre (I will fight for this one.)
Desiree (And this one.)
Dominique
Collette
Monique

Boys' Names
Rowan
Angus
Martin (And maybe this one.)

Umm... offhand, that list is a lot shorter than I thought it was... but there would always be time for more reasearch were I actually under the gun to come up with a name. :D

Crothian

First Post
I would love to name my kid after me, but make him the second. The reason though is because in some wierd way I'm the third. Yet there is no second or first. :D

Aurora

First Post
My daughter's name is Kylee Denise. We needed a "K" name because my husband's family is all "K" names and I needed a "K" name that went well with Denise as it is my deceased mother's name. So, the name Kylee fit the bill along with us really liking it.
If we have another daughter, her name will more than likely be Jillian Patricia. Patricia for my husband's mother who passed away when Kylee was a month old and Jillian because it starts with a "J" as my first name does (just to make things fair ;)). Plus, once again, I really like the name.
For a boy the middle name will be Drace (family name)

If you can't tell, I like middle names to have some significance. In my book, that is their purpose.

If my husband truly got to pick names he has joked for years that our kids would be named: Fire, Skye, Grave & Wind (among others). Why, you ask? Because our last name is Walker.

Crothian

First Post
Aurora said:
If my husband truly got to pick names he has joked for years that our kids would be named: Fire, Skye, Grave & Wind (among others). Why, you ask? Because our last name is Walker.

He rocks!! You so have to do this!! :lol:

Kaodi

Hero
I would never give my kid the same first name as me. A middle name, perhaps, that is traditional, but not the first. I would consider naming my kids after my parents, but not that seriously. I would shoot myself first before I named one of my sons after my two grandfathers and my uncle, who all had the same first name. Because of some very sad family history, it would almost be like shooting my Dad if I did. However, middle names from grandparents and greatgrandparents are the natural choice, of course. And the forbidden name I mentioned before would totally be in the running for a middle name. I mean, it is one of *my* middle names.

How did you end up being named the Third? I mean, II, III, XI, etc, aren't really names, they're more like official clarifications.

D.Shaffer

First Post
If I ever had girls, I wanted to name em Brittany, Eleanor, and Jeanette. Partially become I'm cruel, but also because I always liked those names. And yes, I know where I got them from.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
We named our daughter Holly Elizabeth. It's the name of my wife's oldest childhood friend and it sounds good.

We named our son Griffin William. The middle name was pretty much pre-ordained since it's a family tradition to put the dad's first name in as the son's middle name. Griffin we found on the internet while debating names (and not getting very far) and we both decided it had a nice ring to it.

Other choices for boys:
Declan
Aiden
Conor
Geoffrey
Padraig

Other choices for girls:
Maura
Erin
and since it's now been 8 years, I forget if we had more

I have almost given up on possible names after my wife knocked back all my suggestions but hasn't provided any herself. She is a kindergarten teacher so she has seen a lot of naughty kids over the years, ruling out a whole heap of names. We're not pregnant yet so we've still got plenty of time up our sleeve though.

Olaf the Stout

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases