Character Generation

Rolflyn

First Post
We are starting a new campaign, and the DM wants to keep down the number of books needed without reducing options too much. He wants to avoid cherry-picking from twenty books. One suggestion is to limit characters to the PHB and one suppliment, but that doesn't allow for things like psionic prestige classes from the Races books, and the warlock feats in Complete Mage. So maybe PHB and two suppliments?

How do other people handle this?

Infiniti2000

First Post
1. Don't allow multiclassing unless required by a PrC, or require that multiple classes have similar levels (within 1 of each other).
2. Don't allow multiple PrC's unless a PrC is maxed out.
3. No gestalt.

The above (first) two options eliminate cherry picking.

shilsen

Adventurer
I run an Eberron game where I allow everything from the PHB, most things from the ECS, and allow things from a couple of Eberron books, the Complete series, and PHB2 on a case by case basis.

Nail

First Post
My current campaign includes the Complete series, Spell Compendium, Tome of Magic, Tome of Battle (Bo9S), and the PH 2. (No WotC campaign books, no Psionics)

The point, really, is "just accept the books you are comfortable with". I'm not sure how limiting each player to "PH + 2 supplements" accomplishes your goals, as different players will chose different supplements.

Why not just do what all of the rest of us do: Pick a list of supplements, and add (or subtract) to it as time goes on......

There's little point in setting a global rule, as later you'll be tempted by later supplements and/or changes to change it.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
From a sensibility stance, I'd go with "set a list of books and stick to it." Only add books if everyone agrees. Realy, it's simpler that way.

If everyone gets CORE + 1 or two suplplements, then you are always having to make sure thecharacter used stuff from the books that only they are allowed to use - assuming everyone can pick their own additional supplement or two. That's just adding more bookwork. If you set a list and allow it to be used, it is much easier.

Why don't you all have a gentleman's agreement to not cherrypick? I have that with my players. We just don't do it. You shouldn't need a rule for something like this. Emphasize character development over powergaming and cherry picking usually goes away (or at least is minimized).

Li Shenron

Legend
If you give a set of books by default, it should be easier.

That is what I usually do myself, but on the other hand, there are a couple of problems with it:

1- Most importantly, the books altogether should be quite balanced among all characters. I run 3.0 games, so I choose the 5 classbooks as default material because they cover the 11 PHB classes more or less equally. Obviously if you allow only e.g. Complete Arcane and Complete Warrior, the clerics and the rogues in your campaign may feel like they're clutching the short straw. So try to choose a set of books that together they don't strongly favor certain characters (unless that's something you want for your setting).

2- Keep prestige classes and magic items under your control ANYWAY. There is ALWAYS a couple of PrCl or M.I. in ANY supplement which you might later regret having allowed. So when you say "these 4 books are allowed by default", also explicitly remind your players that "not everything is equally common!!", which means that you always have the rights for example to require something special (like a quest) before entering a specific PrCl.

Machiavelli

First Post
Every player at the table picks one suppliment book, and may share the content of the other players' picks.

It seems to work well enough.

Destil

Explorer
Easy: Core only. Any other ideas a player wants are run by the DM as concepts, not finshed products. The DM tweeks and modifies to fit the concept and the campaign.

This prevents blatent abuse (raw grabs for power) in the hands of a good DM, but can take up a lot of the DM's time.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
For my next game, I'm going for: PhB* + 1 book each.

The books are selected from the Complete series and the XPH. Because I'm mostly familiar with the contents.

*Some selected stuff has been moved from various books into the PhB. Such as improved toughness replacing toughness.

This is not a totally rigid rule, more of a guideline. If someone has something that absolutely requires 2 splatbooks to work, then I'd allow it if reasonable.

Ipissimus

First Post
I usually work by the rule that if a player can't tell me exactly what their character can do without looking in a book then it doesn't work. Is transcribing and keeping notes on your character's abilities really all that hard? No. There's really no excuse to slowing a game down this way. I generally don't agree to limiting my players in this way (and as a player, I'd object to being limited in this fashion) as it reduces PC diversity and creativity. All it takes is a little preparation, note down a few feats and some special abilities and you're set.

Remove ads