What non-PHB spells do your Wizards/Sorcs Take?

DM_Matt

First Post
In response to the thread about boring and overused spells, here is one about great spells that people might not be aware of. What non-PHB, WotC arcane spells do you like to use?

Gilladian

Adventurer
My husband plays a blaster wizard and has had much fun with the Flame Bolt spell from Relics and Rituals. I sometimes think it's a tad overpowered...

dagger

Adventurer
Some good spells:

Orb of Force .....10d6 no SR, NO Save.
Assay Spell Resistance - swift spell, +10 to overcome SR against one opponent.
Mass Fire Shield
Mass Fly
Anti-magic Ray
Analyze Portal

Thanee

First Post
Here are some:

Benign Transposition, Critical Strike, Eyes of the Avoral, Bladeweave, Dimension Hop, Familiar Pocket, Heroics, Swift Fly, Wraithstrike, Blacklight, Deeper Darkvision, Dragonskin, Greater Mage Armor, Nchaser's Glowing Orb, Assay Resistance, Orb of Force, Spell Enhancer, Tirumael's Energy Spheres, Draconic Polymorph, Greater Blink, Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability.

Bye
Thanee

Psion

Adventurer
With my new 3rd level mage so far:

Benign Transposition (this is a spell I could see remaining useful well into high levels)
Object Loresight (Book of Eldritch Might)
Creature Loresight (Book of Eldritch Might)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Our casters use mostly non-PHB spells. Some of the most frequent:

• thunderlance
  • firebrand
  • effulgent epuration
  • prismatic eye
  • mailed might of the magelords
  • orb of force
  • greater dimension door
  • rapid strikes

Henry

Autoexreginated
Our sorcerer has stumbled across "Wings of Cover" from Spell Compendium, and without doubt it's the best damned defensive spell in history. :) Immediate action, gives you full cover, which makes you basically immune to ANY attack or spell as a one-shot.

Our Sorcerer uses it a heck of a lot, and one Barbarian even liked it so much he had the Sorcerer put it into a Ring of Spell storing for him. :D

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
The three non-pHB spells my CL 16 wizard uses most are cacophonic burst (5th lvl, SC), quintelemental blast (5th lvl, Comp. Bk. of Eldritch Might), and orb of force (4th lvl, SC). It's nice to have alternate forms of energy damage. (The burst is a sound fireball, blast is a cone that deals damage as whatever energy type the creature are suseptible to, and the orb is famous enough on its own as a great "no, you WILL take damage NOW" spell.)

Chain spell (PHB II) looks like it has promise, and firebrand (SC) was good untill the nerfed it. Now it's OK.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases