The Dukes of Hell

Voadam

Legend
BOZ said:
I know that “Talos the Triple Iron Golem” rings a bell for me, but I forget where he appeared before the BoVD.

Same, that sounds like a 1e DMG reference from one of the artefacts, but I don't have it in front of me.

Shemeska

Adventurer
BOZ said:
I know that “Talos the Triple Iron Golem” rings a bell for me, but I forget where he appeared before the BoVD.

The 3e DMG had "being crushed beneath the heel of Talos the Triple Iron Golem" as a potential method of destroying an artifact.

And way before that there was the Talos "golem" of Greek Mythology. Talos was the bronze automaton given by Zeus to Europa. There are lots of variations on the legend, but most familiar to many folks is the giant stop-motion bronze dude in the 1963 'Jason and the Argonauts' movie.

Ripzerai

Explorer
BOZ said:
The pit fiends Furcas, Baalzephon and Bel are no longer with him, of course, having moved on to bigger and better things. I wonder who now handles the duties of ordering and administering his vassals and armies, and commanding his Iron Guard of cornugon bodyguards?

Don't forget Zaggutch, Dispater's lieutenant from Fires of Dis. Another servant of Dis, the pit fiend Kri'ik, also appears prominently in that adventure. Neither of them seem to be the prime minister, so presumedly they replace Furcas and Bel.

Glornoth and Merikel, from Weapons of Legacy, need to be plugged into the baatezu hierarchy somewhere. There's only one slot open in Phlegethos (because Gazra replaces Zaebos), and Morsch can be presumed to replace Zimimar in Minauros (although Morsch commands all of Mammon's armies, and Zimimar was, before being given that role just prior to the Reckoning, formally only the head of the palace guard, so there may be another in charge of the guard there - why not use Zbavra the Witch-Queen, from the Book of Vile Darkness, since she dwells in Mammon's court?).

So perhaps Glornoth the Maleficent is Dispater's new prime minister, and the fallen solar Merikel now shepherds four companies of cornugons for Belial and Fierna (since Belial is much more friendly toward fallen celestials than Dispater is).

Last edited:

Ripzerai

Explorer
I'm not sure about Alocer, though. If Ustyhrin-ja is the chief of all of Dispater's erinyes servants (as the Book of Vile Darkness claims), then why would Alocer be leading 36 companies of the female devils in battle? Does Alocer work for Ustyhrin-ja?

It's possible there's a distinction between the erinyes of the armies (which Alocer commands) and the erinyes of the city (which Ustyhrin-ja commands). Or perhaps Alocer should be given new troops.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shemeska said:
The 3e DMG had "being crushed beneath the heel of Talos the Triple Iron Golem" as a potential method of destroying an artifact.

indeed, you are correct! :) Voadam is also correct, however, as a suggested potential method of destroyed an artifact in the 1E DMG p 164 is to "Cause it to be broken against/by or crush by (1) Talos, a triple iron golem". :) (oddly enough, another method was to "cause it to be seared by the odious flames of Geryon's destroyed soul"!!) Talos does not appear to be referenced in the 2E DMG or Book of Artifacts.

Ripzerai said:
Don't forget Zaggutch, Dispater's lieutenant from Fires of Dis. Another servant of Dis, the pit fiend Kri'ik, also appears prominently in that adventure. Neither of them seem to be the prime minister, so presumedly they replace Furcas and Bel.

Glornoth and Merikel, from Weapons of Legacy, need to be plugged into the baatezu hierarchy somewhere. There's only one slot open in Phlegethos (because Gazra replaces Zaebos), and Morsch can be presumed to replace Zimimar in Minauros (although Morsch commands all of Mammon's armies, and Zimimar was, before being given that role just prior to the Reckoning, formally only the head of the palace guard, so there may be another in charge of the guard there - why not use Zbavra the Witch-Queen, from the Book of Vile Darkness, since she dwells in Mammon's court?).

So perhaps Glornoth the Maleficent is Dispater's new prime minister, and the fallen solar Merikel now shepherds four companies of cornugons for Belial and Fierna (since Belial is much more friendly toward fallen celestials than Dispater is).

i like your suggestions for replacements for Furcas and Bel. i found Merikel in WoL (a compeling character, so i will use him), but did not know where to look for Glornoth (if he fits the bill though, might as well make him the prime minister). Zbavra sounds like a perfectly fine fit as replacement as head of the palace guard.

Ripzerai said:
I'm not sure about Alocer, though. If Ustyhrin-ja is the chief of all of Dispater's erinyes servants (as the Book of Vile Darkness claims), then why would Alocer be leading 36 companies of the female devils in battle? Does Alocer work for Ustyhrin-ja?

It's possible there's a distinction between the erinyes of the armies (which Alocer commands) and the erinyes of the city (which Ustyhrin-ja commands). Or perhaps Alocer should be given new troops.

i would say that Alocer is totally independent of Ustyhrin-ja, and that she commands all erinyes who are not under detachment to other lords. make sense?

Ripzerai

Explorer
BOZ said:
but did not know where to look for Glornoth (if he fits the bill though, might as well make him the prime minister).

Page 65. There's very little information on him, however. He was one of those angry at Rashid ben Daoud when he defaulted on his debts.

i would say that Alocer is totally independent of Ustyhrin-ja, and that she commands all erinyes who are not under detachment to other lords. make sense?

Sounds fine.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK, i'll check out Glornoth. i really should also have a look at Fires of Dis (it's been awhile) and see what those other two are about, but i trust you on that if i don't manage to remember to look. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Yep, Glornoth’s really just a name. Well, a blank slate is enough to work with, so in he goes!

Kri’ik appears on pages 5, 29-30, 35-36, and 54-55 of Fires of Dis (and is mentioned several times on other pages), and although it seems that Dispater has had enough of him, that may have just been part of his plan and he could have “forgiven” and possibly even promoted him. As the pit fiend Zaggutch (a lieutenant of Dispater) is a major player in the module I have yet to read up on him entirely (appearing on p52 and on).

MINAUROS
Dragon #75 said:
Toward the center of the plane, Minauros rises into a vast tortured volcanic badlands of ash-hills and slime-filled rifts. The palace of Mammon sits in a marshy bowl at the heart of these volcanic lands, where many rifts meet. It is here where Mammon’s seneschal, Focalor, stands guard over Glasya (Mammon’s consort), Mammon’s palace, and Mammon’s affairs when his master is out hunting across the badlands. The pit fiend Zimimar commands the “palace guard” of 6 companies of bone devils, and will either be found at the palace or hurrying elsewhere to protect Mammon or enforce his will.
The vassal dukes of Mammon rule stretches of volcanic ridges and ash-choked, lifeless woods far from the central palace, between the uplands and the marshes where prisoners lie in dolor. Chief among these vassal dukes is Bael, who can gather 66 companies of barbed devils (and actively plots to supplant Focalor, and ultimately Mammon himself). The duke Caarcrinolaas commands 36 companies of barbed devils, and although he is aware of Bael’s ambitions, neither supports nor betrays them. The duke Melchon, who can muster only 18 companies of erinyes, chooses to be eagerly and actively loyal to Mammon - which has earned him the deep suspicion of the seneschal Focalor.

The note under Focalor’s entry below does seem to confirm your suspicion that Nergal was once part of Mammon’s court. Wonder what his role was?

Monster Manual II said:
Bael is vassal to Mammon, commanding 66 companies of barbed devils. In battle array Bael wears armor of bronze fashioned in the ancient style and uses a morning star +2 with a long bronze handle which telescopes magically from 4-8 feet in length as Bael desires… He radiates fear within a 20-foot radius when he so desires…
Bael is a well-formed humanoid with golden skin. His head is rather long and has small, forward curling bull's horns. His features are rather bovine with large, round eyes, a long and broad nose, and protruding ears.

Dragon #75 said:
Focalor is seneschal (an agent, or bailiff) to Mammon, and wields much of the real power in Minauros, for his master is somewhat neglectful of security and diplomacy. The thin, often silent Focalor is careful in word and deed, and a master strategist. He is respectful, too, and takes no risks with the safety of Glasya (Mammon‘s consort) and that of the palace itself. Most of the other archdevils (and the outcast Nergal; see Avernus section) believe that Mammon would be easy prey were it not for the strength of his few dukes, and for the wise care of Focalor. Focalor’s loyalty seems unshakeable; most of the archdevils have in the past tested it, and they continue to do so…
Focalor causes fear by his breath, a cone of foul-smelling vapor 1” in range, spreading from a mouth-sized base to a 3’-wide spray. He can direct this at any target(s) in the area of effect, one exhalation per round (save vs. spell at -1 to avoid)…
Description: Focalor appears human - a thin, bearded, and middle-aged statesman or sage with power and heavy concerns - until he unfurls his feathered wings from his flowing robes or reveals his brown cloven hooves. Focalor wears an iron gauntlet on his right hand, as his badge of office, and with this gauntlet he can strike for 1-6 damage. He is normally armed with a staff, but will seize any weapons in battle. His skin is a pale pink-green, and if his armpits and flanks are revealed, tiny scales will be seen.
When summoned to the Prime Material Plane, Focalor will seize any chance to swim (for this he enjoys), and revels in the use of two powers of his that are ineffective in the hells: fish command (as in the trident of fish command, DMG p. 155; all fish save at +1), and call storms (usable only when at sea), basically a combination of call lightning and control winds. The call storms ability, when employed, evokes lightning discharges from any clouds present, bringing also rain and strong winds in the direction and intensity Focalor wills, the whole effect lasting 4 turns. If no clouds are present, this power attracts them (which may take several hours, or a day or more). When they arrive, Focalor (if still present) can use the call storms ability again, as described above, to bring the storm out of the “summoned” clouds.

Caarcrinolaas is a duke in the service of Mammon, and leads 36 companies of barbed devils into combat at his master’s behest. In battle he wields a +3 scythe that does 5-11 (2-8 +3) damage vs. targets of any size, and wears armor with a high-spired collar to protect his head (for he wears no helm). He is indifferent to the ambitions of others, preferring to follow orders and wait for any opportunity to better himself to come along. Let others risk their necks in intrigues; Caarcrinolaas will sit and watch patiently…
twice per day he can petrify one creature by touch (as in flesh stone; normal saving throw allowed). Once per day he can use a symbol of pain, and he causes fear by touch if he wills…
Description: Caarcrinolaas is a gray/brown-furred, dog-headed humanoid with scarlet bat-like wings, upright scarlet horns protruding from a bony brow-ridge above each temple, black hooves, and a scarlet, forked tail. In the center of his brow is a third horn. Taller than the two up-curved flanking horns, protrudes straight up, and can be employed (3-6 thrusting damage) against any targets directly above Caarcrinolaas (a rare circumstance). He has strong, bony, scarred hands of human appearance, and glittering yellow eyes.

Melchon is a duke in the service of Mammon, on whose behalf he leads 18 companies of erinyes in battle. A devil most jealous of his stronger fellows, Melchon is something of a malcontent in Minauros, and would welcome any setback to Bael or Focalor — but he masks his true feelings.
Melchon can employ any one of the following spell-like powers in a round, one at a time: pyrotechnics, produce flame, envenom (which turns water — of any sort except holy water — to a caustic, viscous venom used by erinyes and Melchon himself upon their weapons), detect invisibility, detect magic, read magic, dispel magic, teleport, and suggestion…
Melchon causes fear in all creatures within 1” of any living being he strikes, including the target struck; all must save vs. spell (the target at -2) to avoid)…
Description: Melchon is a fiery red-skinned, humanoid devil with upturned, bull-like horns; black, curling brows and beard; black hooves; and large, crimson wings. In battle he strikes with his weapons - usually a trident or a great two-handed war axe (12’ long, damage 3- 12 vs. S/M, 3-18 vs. L).
His weaponry may vary, but Melchon’s weapons are never magical, and they are always envenomed (see Monster Manual, Erinyes, for effects of the venom). Melchon also makes use of his long, agile forked tail, which ends in a sharp sting. This sting does 2-8 points of stabbing damage, and Melchon usually envenoms it prior to any expected combat. Melchon is immune to the effects of his, and other devils’, caustic venom. Melchon’s venom does not dry out in the hells (although usage does wear it off of a weapon), but it is harmless outside the infernal regions unless it is continually within 1” of a devil (an erinyes, or Melchon himself).

Faces of Evil: the Fiends said:
The Viscount is known to have had the pit fiend Zimimar in his service - that is, until Cantrum made Zimimar a member of the Dark Eight. Minauros's consort is the duchess Glasya, and the current commander of his armies is Duke Morsch.

Book of Vile Darkness said:
Zbavra began as a cleric of Hextor, and eventually came to the Nine Hells to serve Hextor directly. However, she got caught up in the politics of hell and soon found that her lust for power and influence got her far in the hierarchy. In fact, she soon found herself one of the most influential mortals in all of hell. Now she has thrown in with Mammon, hoping that an allegiance with an archdevil will get her even farther. She lives in Minauros and attends Mammon’s court regularly.

We determined above that Zbavra now commands the palace guard in place of Zimimar.

Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells said:
Mammon is served by a host of dukes, each of whom constantly tries to curry favor at the expense of his rivals. Mammon’s generals include the unique devils Bael, Caarcrinolaas, and Melchon. Focalur, also a unique devil, serves as Mammon's ever-loyal seneschal, and the little-known Glwa is Mammon's new consort.

We dealt with the story of his “new” consort Glwa already, and not much would need to be said about Glasya other than that she is the former consort. I wonder if, as a “less valuable” consort than Glasya, does Focalor guard Glwa as faithfully?

Rip, you said above that the hamatula Pollus Windscreamer, master of Jangling Hiter serves in Mammon’s hierarchy as well (per Planes of Law), but I don’t know where to find that info.

Ripzerai

Explorer
BOZ said:
Rip, you said above that the hamatula Pollus Windscreamer, master of Jangling Hiter serves in Mammon’s hierarchy as well (per Planes of Law), but I don’t know where to find that info.

Pollus Windscreamer is mentioned in the Baator booklet, page 18. I listed him among Mammon's hierarchy simply because he has an important job in Minauros.

He's probably dead at this point, since Tyrants of the Nine Hells replaced him with a pit fiend.

I had suggested that Nergal was part of Beherit's court, actually (based on his background in Elminster in Hell), although it seems that he'd be just as satisfied with rulership over Minauros as he would have been with Malbolge.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
hmm... that you did! I probably goofed that because there are so many layers that start with "M". ;) still, i like this secondary explanation that Nergel covets Mammon's spot, which works well with Focalor's flavor text. maybe that even works into his story about how he got kicked out of Beherit's court (unless he just got exiled when Beherit was destroyed).

Pollus is probably destroyed, exiled, or transferred... better to just leave him alone then.

Remove ads