The Rod of Seven Parts: Kauai Team OOC

Argent Silvermage

First Post
I don't mean to sound rude but I know very well how to play my character and how his abilities work. We are out of the initiative chart thus the idea of "rounds" is a non-issue. Assuming that I would like a bit more information form the Dungeon Master on this.

Argent Silvermage said:
Where? What who?

We're still on init. Pilgrim may continue to concentrate on his detect evil ability if he wants to try to discern the rest of this info...round one nets him the presence or absence of evil. If he continues concentrating, he'll be given the number of auras and power of the most potent aura on the second round of the spell and the power and location of each aura on the third round. I'll watch the IC to see whether you'll have Pilgrim drop the spell or continue concentrating.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
CanadienneBacon said:
We're still on init. Pilgrim may continue to concentrate on his detect evil ability if he wants to try to discern the rest of this info...round one nets him the presence or absence of evil. If he continues concentrating, he'll be given the number of auras and power of the most potent aura on the second round of the spell and the power and location of each aura on the third round. I'll watch the IC to see whether you'll have Pilgrim drop the spell or continue concentrating.
Cool. Thanks for the clarification.

Ambrus, because init was dropped then resumed with a two-round intermission, it looks to me that you're befuddled about whether Maelicent missed actions. I would go so far as to say rightfully so. We will therefore even the slate by saying that the PC spent one round extricating himself from beneath the spider and collecting his dropped weapon, and a second round casting about, searching the spider from under which he crawled. Looking at Maelicent's RG sheet...no ranks in search and +0 Int modifier. Goodness. Maelicent searched the spider but, finding nothing of appreciative interest or worth, he would've continued on precisely as you and I wrote him, which was 120 feet out into the byway to chase after the fleeing spider. More precisely, the search of the wolf spider nets Maelicent the knowledge that the beast is large in size (and boy did you all benefit from me forgetting that every time a PC moves in to attack a creature one size category larger than yourself that it's supposed to draw an AoO from the foe because of threatened squares), has a black chitinous exoskeleton, a wolf head where a normal spider's head ought to be, and really no other interesting markings of discernment. Had it not been for the aberration's strange head and ability to speak, the spider could have been a simple large spider in any forest in the land.

With this information in hand, you may find yourself wanting to alter your post in which you state:
OOC: I'm going to assume that Maelicent never made it past the bar since he never had reason to get closer than that to shoot the third spider-thing before it died.
Because, in point of fact, that is not how it played out. Should you have any questions, I will be around today to reply. We are still on initiative. Because of Traven's death, the combat environment changed so radically that by the middle of Encounter 2, Round 3 I called for Brakkus and Maelicent to clarify intent before continuining with the remainder of the round. I've got a salient post from Brakkus. I need you to please clarify what you want your PC to do, given that he is standing in the byway, bow drawn, just after the spider has been slain. After I receive that info from you, I will go ahead and post a DM's reply for the remainder of Round 3.

If I have posts from everyone for Round 4, I can maybe also do Round 4 today. We'll see on that, though.

Last edited:

Ambrus

Explorer
CanadienneBacon said:
it looks to me that you're befuddled about whether Maelicent missed actions.
I don't think I'm befuddled.
CanadienneBacon said:
Because, in point of fact, that is not how it played out.
Only because you ignored my stated actions in post 68.

SlagMortar

First Post
Rules nit:
(and boy did you all benefit from me forgetting that every time a PC moves in to attack a creature one size category larger than yourself that it's supposed to draw an AoO from the foe because of threatened squares)
Not all large creatures have reach. For example a horse is Large size and has a space of 10 feet x 10 feet, but only 5 feet reach. Of course these demonic wolf spiders may be different. I'm just pointing out that not all Large creatures have reach.

SlagMortar, indeed. Regarding reach and who has it, these ones do. Still, thank you for the reminder.

Ambrus, here is the information from post #68 that I considered useful to me as DM when I was crafting my post. You have Maelicent doing the following:
Move Action: Moving towards the front door.
Standard Action: Ranged attack - composite longbow +6 (1d6)

Maelicent will continue moving towards the wolf-spider while continuing to fire arrows at it in subsequent rounds.
The hard and fast of this was that you wanted your character to move toward the wolf spider (who by then was outside), while firing arrows in subsequent rounds. I therefore had Maelicent do precisely that. He moved 120 feet to get outside. The movement precluded firing an arrow. The map is denoted in 10 foot square increments. I note that even if Mael moved only 30 feet and tried to fire an arrow, there would have been nothing to fire at because at that point the spider was already outside and Mael was still inside. Once outside, in the next round, the spider tried to run. It's attempt to run incurred an AoO that killed it. There was then nothing left to fire at. I am completely unclear on how, exactly, you feel you were ignored in all that. Please feel free to nitpick away with how you envision things should have gone because at this point, I have no clue what it is that you want. From my perspective, you said you wanted your character to move, then fire in later rounds. Your post in #68 is very clear. I certainly did not, as you seem to feel, ignore it. You said what you wanted Mael to do and that is precisely what I had him do.

I will caveat that I'm getting the distinct impression that you are aggravated with the situation in the IC. I'm a little irritated with it myself, but we need to find out where we miscommunicated and resolve it, and it needs to be today if possible because the issue is holding up combat. With me fixing to be only semi in the posting loop starting on Friday this week, I don't want to let this hang in the balance too long. Thanks. :)

Just checked in and saw your edit for round 3, Ambrus. Thanks. My infant is making it well and abundantly clear that she needs to be fed and it needs to be right now, so I'll go and do that. When I have her settled, I will hop on over and continue on with the round. And if we can collect posts for Round 4 from everyone, then I'll be able to put up Round 4 today as well.

Thanks and hang tight.

Remove ads