Seaworthy Fighters?

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Hi, I was wondering if there were any rules in one of the books, most likely Stormwrack, but maybe UA, for making characters more sea-worthy.

I am specifically thinking of Fighters and Barbarians here. I think it is lame that these classes do not get Profession as a skill. Hello! A Viking Barbarian should have Profession Sailor!

Also, if I am making a seafaring fighter, why should I have to have Ride and Handle Animal as skills, when Balance and Use Rope would be so much more appropriate.

Are there rules in Stormwrack or any other source for making ocean-going versions of base classes (primarily by altering the skills in this way?

Or, are there rules for making a class have different class skills in general? I really want my next character to be a fighter, but also want him to be a sailing type (essentially a Marine, just as a seagoing Barbarian would be a Viking).

Dross

Explorer
Well you could always ask your DM about changing out Ride/Handle Animal for Balance/Use Rope. In a general sense though, Balance and (especially) Use Rope would see more use than Ride/Handle Animal, but MMV for you and your DM

I think UA had options for changing some skills for others but someone else will need to confirm that.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I know the rules for altering base classes is in the DMG. But I'm nowhere near my books right now and can't tell you exactly where in that book. :(

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Halleluiah! I found out that Dragon #310 has rules for alternate versions of Fighter. If anybody liked the 2nd Ed Kits, this is something you have to see. I am going to be advancing as a Corsair (fighter variant). Main differences:

Slightly different list of bonus feats

No proficiency with Heavy or Medium Armor

No Ride, Handle Animal, or Intimidate

Has Profession: Sailor, Balance, Spot, Appraise, and Use Rope as skills

Loses a few bonus feats, takes special "corsair abilities" instead

nittanytbone

First Post
The Swashbuckler (Complete Warrior) might be for you.

A Ranger might also work well.

Ranger 2/Swashbuckler 3/Fighter 2/Rogue 4 seems like a nice intro to the "Dread Pirate" PrC. You could easily drop some of the rogue levels -- they're there for skills, Sneak Attack, Evasion, and Trapfinding. The fighter levels are just to provide bonus feats so they could also be ditched.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases