Rulings on Ray of enfeeblement

Grenouillebleue

First Post
Hello,

I have a question regarding the 1st level necro spell "ray of enfeeblement" (or however they spell it).

In theory, it looks like a very powerful spell, and I was wondering whether there were special rulings that stopped it from being overpowered.

This spell needs a touch attack (not that tough to achieve usually) and has no save. It lowers strength by 1d6+5. That looks incredibly powerful to me.

A standard roll would reduce strength by 8-9. This gives a -4 to attack rolls and damage with no save, which looks more powerful than some high level curses.

Also, used against a non-fighter, it could very well stop them dead in their tracks. Most spellcasters would go to 1 strength thus being effectively pinned down. Same goes for many clerics or rogues.

Did I read it wrong ? Is there something I missed ? This looks like the best 1st level spell, period (and actually better than 2nd or 3rd level spells).

Stalker0

Legend
You are definately not the first to think ray of enfeeblement is too powerful. Keep in mind that unlike ability damage, the effect can be fixed with a dispel magic, and of course it can never drop you below 1. But that's said, yeah its one of the best fighter debuffs in the game.

shilsen

Adventurer
And don't forget the joys/sorrows of an Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement. That's a penalty of between 9-16 pts to Strength.

Thanee

First Post
It's a strong spell, but I havn't found it to be overpowered in play, really. Powerful, yes, but not overly much so.

It's important to know, that it does not stack with itself, and that a Str of 1 is totally sufficient, to remain standing and active (in some cases, the DM might rule, that the carried equipment will drag you down, but usually you should 'only' have your movement reduced, as explained in the chapter about carrying in the PHB).

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Indeed.

It's no better than Mage Armor, Shield, Protection from Evil, Magic Missile, Color Spray, and other upper end 1st-level spells IMHO.

Bye
Thanee

Infiniti2000

First Post
Thanee said:
Indeed.

It's no better than Mage Armor, Shield, Protection from Evil, Magic Missile, Color Spray, and other upper end 1st-level spells IMHO.
Okay. Well, count me in the category of saying it's overpowered for 1st-level. Way overpowered. Sure, it may not work in every case, but I quite honestly can't remember a case, in game, where it has failed to work.

SlagMortar

First Post
At early levels, when a target might be killed by a magic missle or taken out by sleep or color spray, ray of enfeeblement is not that effective. However, when it gets to 1d6+5 (10th level caster) then it is one of the better first level spells. It is sort of like Enlarge Person in that it maintains effectiveness at higher levels after color spray, sleep, and many other first level spells have lost their potency.

Edit: It is also good against a single powerful enemy and much less effective against multiple equal strength enemies.

Tiberius

Explorer
shilsen said:
And don't forget the joys/sorrows of an Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement. That's a penalty of between 9-16 pts to Strength.

I had a lot of fun with that. One interesting thing about the spell is that it gives the target a penalty, which means that it can affect beings that would otherwise be unharmed by ability damage (e.g. undead, constructs).

Oh, be prepared for someone in the group to try to use the "The target's strength can't drop below 1" clause to be unkillable by shadows. IMO that doesn't work, but I can't remember whether there was a final determination as to the efficacy of that tactic.

Last edited:

Remove ads