[KAUAI]The Rod of Seven Parts: Of Hexes and Gems

Voadam

Legend
Ambrus said:
Misunderstanding the green wizard's question, Maelicent offers the obvious answer to the seemingly clueless human "It's a giant-kin's arm."

"A man's arm with pictographic script tattoos. See how they used expensive colored ink? These are not the tattoos used to mark slave properties. The nobles of Arrund are said to traditionally bear such tattoo types. Also certain magical traditions, both arcane and divine, use tattoo foci to empower their spells. Others are used to hold spells themselves at the ready. These have the look of such foci. See how the beast's stomach juices pit the skin but do not mar the tattoos themselves?" Voadam holds up the arm for the others to see if they wish, his coin illuminating and making his point clear.

"I can not say for certain, I am unfamiliar with this script and likely the underlying language as well, but these here have the look of priestly magics to me." Voadam turns the arm over and gestures at some other pictogram tattoos "There are some though that indicate arcane focusing as well. So it seems he was a theurgist, a priest who dabbles in both divine and arcane magics. I have dealt with such before, though that vampiric elf did not bear such tattoo magic."

Voadam points to other portions of the man's corpse "Note also that he bears no tattoos on his chest, legs, or face. Magical tattoos are very expensive and I would expect only the major houses of Arrund's nobility to be sponsoring such. Houses Kiril, Kroum, Assen, Boril, and Lilov from what I have heard are likely candidates. This man has them only on his arms so I suspect he was a lesser priest connected to one of those houses."

Voadam

Legend
Mista Collins said:
"Looks like I found some magical scrolls. Two of them I can probably use, the third looking arcane. I have not prepared the proper prayer to determine their effects," Chev says as he puts the parchment back inthe tube and tosses it to Gamad. "You might have a better try at it."

"Excellent." Voadam smiles broadly "Definitely a theurge then."

Ambrus

Explorer
Maelicent scowls in the shadow beneath his helmet's brim; the Gudwulf warrior had never heard someone blather on about a dismembered body with as much relish as the green wizard now did. Spitting into the bloody water running past his boots, the goblin offers up a dismissive snear. "Don't matter much who he was, now he's juss some dead dragon-bait. So, ya's want ta go back an start guttin the bird-bear now?"

SlagMortar

First Post
Brakkus backs up a bit from the arm as Voadam starts waving it around. Having examined the tatoos, he is now very obviously looking anywhere but at the pile of guts and body parts. "He's Arrundian, that's for sure. Looks like it marks him as a noble, though he must have been quite the busy guy to be a noble and a priest and a wizard, and likely not very good at any of the three.

"I don't know much about Arrundians, other than you shouldn't trust any of the lot. He was no doubt up to no good down here, and probably got what he deserved. They're always scheming with each other. Why just last time I was home, I heard tell House Assen was trying to make the King look like such a dolt that they would lock him up for being daft. Probably Lilov or Kroum were involved too.

"So now we've found dead in this cavern the Celine of Jorunne, and some chewed up Arrundian. I know none of that may not bother any of you, but I am a noble in my own right, even if I am the third son. This place seems quite a bit more deadly for nobles than for the common man. Let's get the rod, find Lady Celine's killer, and get out of here."

Voadam

Legend
Ambrus said:
Maelicent scowls in the shadow beneath his helmet's brim; the Gudwulf warrior had never heard someone blather on about a dismembered body with as much relish as the green wizard now did. Spitting into the bloody water running past his boots, the goblin offers up a dismissive snear. "Don't matter much who he was, now he's juss some dead dragon-bait. So, ya's want ta go back an start guttin the bird-bear now?"

"I don't think so. Though he might have a meal in him as well, Gamad's vision was that the Rod was in this chamber. This scaly beast entered here and could have swallowed the Rod, therefore it was necessary to gut it and check out that possibility before proceeding. However to get out the beast had to burst the door open with brute strength, leaving evidence of its passage. The bird-bear was outside and there was no such evidence of a brute force exit prior to the scaled beast's one. I don't believe the bear-bird had the opportunity to enter here and possibly swallow the Rod or anyone holding the Rod."

Voadam shakes his head in frustration.

"The only evidence we saw of any doors opening or closing is this southern one the beast entered from. If we do not resort to Gamad using the Rod our best bet lies in searching from this opening."

Gamad

Turning his head in disgust from the menace of the butchering, Gamad keep looking at the new corridors.
Curse upon rod.
He says under his breath, the lawful rod cursed him with craziness for order.

When all gutting are done, the albino dwarf gets closer, leaping from side to side, not wanting the bloody stinking organs to touch his burned robes. He then inspects the tattoos
The tattoos have some obvious religious significance but are clearly arcane in nature. I see an ink sketch of Grand Dame Ilyana Ivanovich of House Kroum of Arrund over here.
He points on the arm
It is likely, a lesser son of the Kroum family, why he was here is an enigma to me.

Mista Collins said:
"Looks like I found some magical scrolls. Two of them I can probably use, the third looking arcane. I have not prepared the proper prayer to determine their effects," Chev says as he puts the parchment back inthe tube and tosses it to Gamad. "You might have a better try at it."

Gamad catch the scroll and inspect it.

Voadam said:
Voadam shakes his head in frustration.

"The only evidence we saw of any doors opening or closing is this southern one the beast entered from. If we do not resort to Gamad using the Rod our best bet lies in searching from this opening."

I bear the marking of the rod and I wish not bear it again unless it is necessary.
The dwarf replies and moves uncomfortably.
I saw this laboratory, but it could tell us that we are on the right path rather that this is the resting place of the second segment, before the vision continued to the next place, the dark forces sensed me and almost took me to the darkness of the abyss, that is the spot where I woke up and out of the vision.

Voadam

Legend
Voadam puts the magically tattooed arm back down and heads out into the chamber. "Very well. The beast came up from this eastern passage. I saw no evidence of tracks down the west so I suggest we go east and try to discover what we can of where the beast came from to start our investigations." Holding his coin up for light, Voadam leads off that way.

Holding up his coin for light, Voadam turns to the still-open southern doors then turns left and heads east. Maelicent and Gamad stick to the inner wall of the corridor while Voadam sways out opposite. With Brakkus and Chev out front, weapons at the ready, the group heads down the passageway. Try as he might, Voadam soon looses sight of the crocodile's tracks on the wet floor. Maelicent, however, has keener sight and identifies the crocodile's tracks heading east. The tracks head into and end at the wall at the end of the hallway. The corridor hangs a sharp dogleg turn to the right and heads south another 60 or 70 feet before making another sharp turn, this time west. Save for the trickle of water and their own foot padding, the hallway is entirely quiet.

Attachments

• Stone wall_1.JPG
    Stone wall_1.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 93

Ambrus

Explorer
Bow in hand, the Gudwulf warrior treads down the left hand corridor while following the dragon's tracks. "Don't know about countin on magic doors fer makin sense of tha comins an goins a these monsters." Leaving the others to skulk towards the corner, Maelicent comes to stand before the featureless wall (D-21). "Hells, this door looks like a wall..." The goblin begins searching the supposed wall carefully. (Search 0, taking 20)

Remove ads