The Elfish Gene - Another attack on gamers

hopeless

Adventurer
Reg: The Elfish Gene?

Hmm... okay I give what the heck is this about?

A humorish take on roleplayers involved in dungeons and dragons from the perspective of someon in Coventry...

Well I suppose someone had to write it... anyone want to express their views on this?

Hussar

Legend
"For many boys who grew up in the 70s and 80s, our peer group and education constituted a sort of wanker factory. This is the story of the operation of its most efficient department." Mark Barrowcliffe has a shameful secret. He spent his entire youth hiding from the grungy tedium of Coventry, in an imaginary world of elfs, dwarfs and magicians: he was a "Dungeons and Dragons" fanatic. In this very sharp, very funny memoir, Mark recounts these troubled years, when he knew more about how to kill a dragon than talk to a girl. With a cast of comically awful fellow obsessives, this is a story that enters the daft, twilight world of male adolescent imagination, and with great wit, self-deprication - and not a little poignancy - rips the piss out of it. 'Sharp and funny' - "Loaded". 'Hilarious ...[Barrowcliffe] is an assured stylist with a lively wit' - "Independent". 'A Natural chronicler of the love lorn male' - "The Times".

HOw is this an attack on gamers when it's written about how a gamer had problems growing up as a gamer? Like none of us ever hid our hobby? Like none of us ever felt kinda weirded out when people asked us what we did on a Saturday afternoon? Looks an awful lot like the Forty Year Old Virgin to me.

Kormydigar

First Post
prosfilaes said:
It's funny to be the constant target of abuse labeled as humor?

There is a huge difference between the hobby being attacked from someone who has never played and doesn't know what they are are talking about, and a gamer (or former gamer) writing about actual experiences and poking a little fun at himself or herself. The former can be ignored as ignorant drivel while the latter may actually be a fun read ( depending on the talent of the writer).

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
...and?

I fail to see how this is any different to books poking fun at men, women, blondes, stamp collectors, cricket fans or hairdressers.

Are roleplayers so special that no one can have a giggle at us except ourselves?

It remains to be seen whether there is any malicious intent in the book. Let us not overreact.

Constant target?

Wow, I don't think I've been a constant target of anything in a long time. Except for maybe my wifes annoyance at all of my hobbies. ;)

Seriously though, the book appears to a coming of age story with the backdrop of humor that would appeal to folks such as other gamers. Sounds fine to me.

I mean we are a pretty funny group by and large. Where else can you have a serious discussion with somebody that wants to create an 8th level spell that unleashes a swarm of flying firebreathing psionic zombie squirrels? Comedy gold I tell you. :lol:

(yes, one of the folks in a campaign I'm playing in right now is getting me to critique this very spell for him. I think he's trying to make the DM's head spin, but what are you gonna do? )

-Ashrum

Ampolitor

Explorer
lol

Hussar said:
HOw is this an attack on gamers when it's written about how a gamer had problems growing up as a gamer?

you right, you guys didnt read the entire description, its about a guys childhood. Don't be so quick to jump!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases